Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
So, tell me, with all this talk about tethering and it being so popular. Where and when is it best implemented? Please cite some examples when you will absolutely have to use it? :confused:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
How about in the car? At work? Traveling? I can think of all kinds of ways.

Here's a good example:

A week before 3.0 was out, I was helping a friend load 3.0 on his iPhone at work. I brought my laptop and after 3.0 was done, the phone rebooted and tried to activate. I completly forgot that it needed an internet connection to activate. I quickly went home and grabbed a second iPod cable and connected my iPhone and activated tethering. The guys iPhone activated instantly after that.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So, tell me, with all this talk about tethering and it being so popular. Where and when is it best implemented? Please cite some examples when you will absolutely have to use it? :confused:

Shares you Internet connection on your iPhone with your laptop. Quite handy if you don't have Wi-Fi around and need to send something from your Mac/PC.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Fair enough. Thanks for the fast replies. I guess where I live I don't really get full benefits of a 3G connection, therefore I don't really seen the point of trying to gain internet access this way (in my case).

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
I think it's especially handy if you're a business traveler, especially since most hotels (in the U.S., at least) still charge $10/night for internet access.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Fair enough. Thanks for the fast replies. I guess where I live I don't really get full benefits of a 3G connection, therefore I don't really seen the point of trying to gain internet access this way (in my case).

I don't have 3G within 90 miles of me in three directions but I still use tethering on and off. There are things you can't do with the iPhone. We don't have any Flash capability but one of my bank accounts and an investment account require that I use Flash to log in. So, at times I have no choice but to connect my laptop (with Netshare) to the phone to perform a transaction. Sometimes I need to use software on the laptop that needs a data connection. I don't tether often but sometimes I need it.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I think it's especially handy if you're a business traveler, especially since most hotels (in the U.S., at least) still charge $10/night for internet access.

VERY good point. Once a year I have to do a trade show in Atlantic City and the hotel charges the $9.99 daily access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.