tethering to mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HenMaster6000, Jul 11, 2008.

1. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

when i connected my iphone 3g to my mac, the tethering process is taking forever. is anyone having similar difficulties?

2. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Is it possible to tether/share your internet connection from the iPhone to my mac on the 3G version? I know it was possible on the 2G version but that required apps that can only be put on a Jailbroken phone?

3. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

afaik, I don't think official support for tethering is on the 3G phone either. Maybe someone will hack it in later? Or maybe not if they included a "counter" to that in the new device.

Can you tether the original through WiFi?

I know Windows Mobile devices can tether via WiFi with an app that makes the phone a "mobile hotspot" and you can even put WEP, WPA on it, etc. or just leave it open for the public. But Windows has this thing called "Internet Connection Sharing" built into the OS. The funny thing about this is that you don't even need a tethering plan because it just uses the data plan. heh

4. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

tethering would be att's worst nightmare (network management wise)

5. wronski macrumors 6502

6. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Maybe Steve Jobs want's you to use the iBrowser and change the meaning on mobile internet access! :p

7. markgamber macrumors 6502

There's a lot of things you can do on other phones that you can't do on this on.