Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItouchMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Sorry for making a new thread. Can someone verify that the newest version of TetherMe will activate the native personal hotspot feature on an iPhone 4 GSM(AT&T) when you go into General>Network> Person Hotspot. I want to purchase it, but I don't want it to not work.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I JB this morning. I purchased TetherMe but when I go into network-set up personal hotspot, it's still asking me to contact AT&T.

Do I need to do something to activate it? It's showing as purchased in Cydia. I restarted my phone after the purchase.

Asuran

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
I JB this morning. I purchased TetherMe but when I go into network-set up personal hotspot, it's still asking me to contact AT&T.

Do I need to do something to activate it? It's showing as purchased in Cydia. I restarted my phone after the purchase.

Did you restart your iphone? I had to do that in order for it to take affect.

himni

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009

I've restarted my phone multiple times. And it's still not giving me the option. It's still asking me to call AT&T

Did you go into settings and go in to the tetherme options? Also this may sound stupid but you never used the word install, did you install tetherme?

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Did you go into settings and go in to the tetherme options? Also this may sound stupid but you never used the word install, did you install tetherme?

I did. Frankly, I'm not sure the install ever completed. I'm having a heck of a time with Cydia. Every other time I go in there, I get an error message (I actually created a thread about it). It took me about 10 tries to actually sign in and purchase TetherMe. And during the installation, it timed out the first 5 or 6 times.

I think it's one of those things I'm going to just have to keep trying.

himni

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
I did. Frankly, I'm not sure the install ever completed. I'm having a heck of a time with Cydia. Every other time I go in there, I get an error message (I actually created a thread about it). It took me about 10 tries to actually sign in and purchase TetherMe. And during the installation, it timed out the first 5 or 6 times.

If you go into the settings app do you see a TetherMe submenu? If you don't then you know it isn't installed properly. I would recommend going into Cydia and selecting TetherMe and hit the modify button on the top right and select reinstall.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
With the recent jailbreak release, Cydia is probably overloaded. You probably didn't get it installed. Just try again until it works.

It'll probably help to wait a few days when Cydia is reliable again.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011

Just to clarify, you need to reboot your phone, not just respring. Have you tried rebooting? It finally worked for me once I did a reboot.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009

After you purchase you still need to install it. You probably never hit install in the top right.

adamblacky

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
I'm having problems with TetherMe too. It seems to have installed correctly, I turn on the Hotspot and connect with my MacBook - my iPhone and MacBook recognize that there is a connection - but then my MacBook can't access the internet. So it's connected to my phone but can't pull any data from it.

Any ideas?

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
If you go into the settings app do you see a TetherMe submenu? If you don't then you know it isn't installed properly. I would recommend going into Cydia and selecting TetherMe and hit the modify button on the top right and select reinstall.

Is there supposed to be a Tetherme submenu? I didn't see it and it seemed to work. Now I'm worried that I'm tethering without TetherMe...

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Is there supposed to be a Tetherme submenu? I didn't see it and it seemed to work. Now I'm worried that I'm tethering without TetherMe...

When I tap TetherMe in the Settings app the next window just says "TetherMe not loaded..." However, it is working perfectly!

Asuran

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011

There should be a submenu for this, at least on my phone, it's there with your other cydia apps. I don't know if you would have any problems but never hurts to reinstall and see if it comes up just to be safe.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Everything worked flawless for me the. Night the jailbreak was released.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Is there a reason to use this instead of using MyWi?

With AT&T recently contacting people that have used unofficial tethering, doesn't it seem more risky to use the built in hotspot feature rather than MyWi's interpretation?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Is there a reason to use this instead of using MyWi?

With AT&T recently contacting people that have used unofficial tethering, doesn't it seem more risky to use the built in hotspot feature rather than MyWi's interpretation?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

TetherMe is cheaper which may be one reason. Also I think a lot of the people who got warning letters were actually using MyWi.

TetherMe is cheaper which may be one reason. Also I think a lot of the people who got warning letters were actually using MyWi.

how much does TetherMe Cost? and MyWi? I'm not going to jb till I get my iPad 2.

are these the only ways to enable the native mobile hotspot capability for "free"? 90% of the reason I want to jailbreak is just to activate that capability so I can use my iPad on the go on the rare occasion that I need to.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
Works like a charm. Is there a way to add tetherme to sbsetting so I can turn it on and off quicker?

I had the same issue as above. Had to restart the phone 3 times and then finally worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.