Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Works like a charm. Is there a way to add tetherme to sbsetting so I can turn it on and off quicker?

I had the same issue as above. Had to restart the phone 3 times and then finally worked.

At this point what we need is a toggle for "Hotspot". I'm sure someone will be creating something soon...Lot's of great devs out there!

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Works like a charm. Is there a way to add tetherme to sbsetting so I can turn it on and off quicker?

I had the same issue as above. Had to restart the phone 3 times and then finally worked.

There is an "SBSettings Tethering toggle" and an "SBSettings Tether toggle" in Cydia (Big Boss repo). You want the Tethering one ;)

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
but not tetherme? are you sure?

From the developers it says:

"TetherMe has been tested to work on all iOS versions from 3.0 to 4.3.1 and works by telling the iPhone to allow tethering on any APN that is used for iPhone data. As a result, you should not be charged extra from your phone company as all tethering data appears to come from the phone itself."

I don't know much about this kind of thing but as far as I know MyWi data shows it coming from the tethered device. I think that's how AT&T is seeing some of the unofficial tethering going on. At least, that's what I understand from posts I've read.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
From the developers it says:

"TetherMe has been tested to work on all iOS versions from 3.0 to 4.3.1 and works by telling the iPhone to allow tethering on any APN that is used for iPhone data. As a result, you should not be charged extra from your phone company as all tethering data appears to come from the phone itself."

I don't know much about this kind of thing but as far as I know MyWi data shows it coming from the tethered device. I think that's how AT&T is seeing some of the unofficial tethering going on. At least, that's what I understand from posts I've read.

Well this is interesting.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
And if you follow the TetherMe dev on Twitter, he said again more recently that he still believes his solution is not detectable, however, he asked that anyone using it who has gotten a message from AT&T to contact him.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
just tried TetherMe, works great!! How many devices can you connect to wifi?

Is TetherMe better than MyWi on the battery??

loyalist

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
TetherMe is $4.99 now. I think I bought it when it was $1.49 or so. Still worth every penny IMO.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Does this work off of 3G as well? Or does it only tether off of a wi-fi connection?

It ONLY works with 3G. It doesn't work as some sort of Wi-Fi adapter, there are other apps for that. All this does is turn your 3G connection into Wi-Fi (or bluetooth connection, or USB cable connection)

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Just installed TetherMe and have a question.

While switched "on" in settings but not actively tethering, is it still using the battery power as if tethering? In other words, do I need to go back in and turn off the personal hotspot?

Thanks

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Just installed TetherMe and have a question.

While switched "on" in settings but not actively tethering, is it still using the battery power as if tethering? In other words, do I need to go back in and turn off the personal hotspot?

Thanks

I can't say for sure but I think it will use up some extra battery. To me it seems that's similar to leaving bluetooth on even if the phone isn't connected to a device.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
I can't say for sure but I think it will use up some extra battery. To me it seems that's similar to leaving bluetooth on even if the phone isn't connected to a device.

Thanks for the reply.

If it's minimal, like BT I can handle that. I never shut off BT.

And one more question. Is anyone using the personal hot spot in connection with Auto3G? How does one add the hot spot to the whitelist? It's not a true app so it's not in the list of apps.

Thanks

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
The only time 4.3.1 personal hotspot would be using extra battery power is when actively tethering (either via wi-fi, bluetooth or USB) or when you go into the settings app, it momentarily broadcasts the wi-fi tethering AP SSID, then shuts it off a minute later if no devices connect.

So, unless you're going into your settings.app very frequently, I don't think it's going to use any extra battery power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.