Texas Insurance Storm Damage Deductible $ vs %?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I live in Houston, Texas and have USAA as my insurance company. I've been told by USAA where as I used to have a $1000 deductible for wind/storm damage for a house in Minnesota, USAA told me the State of Texas requires a 2% minimum of house value for a deductible.

I'm wondering if this is BS and if you can infact find insurance in Texas with a $$ deductable vs a %. I'm looking more into this with other insurance companies and plan on checking with what the State says. Any familiar or Texas based insurance reps around who care to share? :)

Thanks!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I live in Texas, and our insurance is written with a 1% deductible. I'm not aware of being able to write it for a set dollar amount, although in the end it's pretty much the same (e.g. choose a percentage of your home's declared value that's consistent with the deductible you want).

It has not been my experience that the deductible has to be a minimum of 2% of the home's value; like I said, mine is 1%.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

When I lived in Texas, it was a percentage as well, with USAA, but I thought it was only 1% (I don't remember exactly, and I don't have the house anymore).

Maybe there was a recent change, i.e. new fiscal year?