Text message received as several short texts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nycfire, Feb 23, 2011.

1. nycfire macrumors newbie

I have had my VZ iPhone for a few days. When I get a text from one particular friend her text message is coming in as several short texts and out of order. She has AT&T and her iphone is the 3G I believe. So far this is only happening with her, is happening about half the time, and those messages have been less than 140 characters.
    I sent a text message to myself from verizon's website with 140 characters and that came thru fine. Any ideas why?

2. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Is she using Apple's Messaging app or a different app? First thought, is that whatever she is using for messaging is truncating the message field. That might be a symptom of a messaging the needs to be updated on your friends end. If she is using the built-in Apple Messaging, I have no clue.

3. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

4. Fresh1 macrumors regular

For all of my friends who have AT&T, their messages longer than "1 SMS" are automatically broken up into 2 smaller texts. I remember on my Droid there was an option that said something along the lines of, "Break message into multiple pieces for different carriers."

5. nycfire thread starter macrumors newbie

She is using the built in apple messaging app.

What I am experiencing doesn't exactly match what was discussed in the link. I believe the link states that a large text is basically broken up into 2 or 3seperate texts with the verizon iphone. I do see that on my iphone from everyone else.

But from that one particular friend, her text (which can be less than 160 characters) will come thru in as many as 8 separate texts, and not in the correct order.

I think she is not using the most current iOS. Perhaps that has something to do with it??

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you do a Google search, you will find plenty of complaints about SMS not being in the correct order on Verizon. This is just one example.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1094525

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

8. nycfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is an example. As you can see it wasn't a long text, and is not in correct order.

Attached Files:

9. redchirp macrumors newbie

Does it have anything to do with emoji? I see an emoji in that text, and you said it doesn't happen all the time.

10. nycfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Good pick up. I looked at our previous conversation, and saw that all the messages that were broken up had an emoticon in it somewhere. And a text that came thru normal did not. That may be it. Next time I will ask her to send a long text message with and without an emoticon and see what happens.

11. redchirp macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think emoji is actually a string of characters that the iPhone recognizes, then it will display the right image. So those characters take up space (without you seeing it), so it ends up being a long text, and gets split.

12. nycfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so a long text from my friend without any emoticons came thru correctly. And this link also confirms that emoji can cause a problem.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3672