Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katecn11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
When I'm in text messages and I click on the box with the pencil in the top right-hand corner to start a new text message, then I start typing my contacts name, it will bring up their email address to text, but not their phone number. If I go into their contact though, the phone number is right there, so I can then message them through going into their contact information, but that is silly. This doesn't happen for all of my contacts, but a handful of them. And these are people that I definitely have texted before so I'm not sure why it's not populating their phone number into the text application! Anyone know of a fix or is having the same issue?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
When this happens I open up the contact in contacts and text them from there. Also I make sure the phone number and type is Correct.

katecn11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
Right, but I shouldn't have to do it that way, especially for people I have texted recently and need to text again. It should pull their number into the text app once I type the contact's name.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
When I'm in text messages and I click on the box with the pencil in the top right-hand corner to start a new text message, then I start typing my contacts name, it will bring up their email address to text, but not their phone number. If I go into their contact though, the phone number is right there, so I can then message them through going into their contact information, but that is silly. This doesn't happen for all of my contacts, but a handful of them. And these are people that I definitely have texted before so I'm not sure why it's not populating their phone number into the text application! Anyone know of a fix or is having the same issue?

You have to include the correct phone number format. For instance, when texting my family back in Honduras, I have to use the country and phone number like so:

+504 9999-9999

Or if it's in the US I always add the +1 like so:

+1(999)999-9999

Doing that I haven't had an issue. Yes, I did have the issue before.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Shouldn't need +1 for US.

OP: are the contacts in question syncing with some other service, such as Google or Exchange? Number might be coming over in the incorrect field.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.