Texting With Siri

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kent01, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to send a text message using Siri? I can dictate the text no problem, it works GREAT by the way, but i'm a little annoyed that I have to tap on "Send" each time.

Is there a shortcut or something I have to activate to send a message without tapping?

Also, is there a quick way to hand-off a call from the Watch to the phone? For example, I want to initiate the call on my watch but then grab my phone.

Thanks guys.

2. TeamHufflepuff macrumors newbie

I don't have my watch yet, but I text with Siri frequently on my phone. Typically I'll just say something along the lines of "Tell John Hello!" and she'll create a message to John that says Hello!. It also works if you say something like "Ask Bob what's for dinner?" You don't have to say "tell".

3. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Simple fix. Once you have done this and the message has come up. All you need to do it say hey siri and they say send and it will send it

4. Kent01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya it doesn't work like that, I have tried. Siri does not speak on the Watch so the screen presents the options to cancel or send. I can't seem to find any trigger words that will send the message without tapping.

It may not even have the ability to and I can't seem to dig up anything in the literature that came with it.

5. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Yeah there is. Say hey siri and then say send

6. Kent01 thread starter macrumors 6502

So while the screen is up that shows my dictated speech I just say "Hey Siri"? I tried that and it actually added "Hey Siri" to my message.

----------

I'll give it another shot when i'm out of my meeting. I'll look like a complete fool saying that out loud xD

7. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Oh I see what you mean. You are on about when you directly send a message to someone. I am on about if you say send a message to blah blah saying blah blah and then you can say hey siri and send after that

8. Kent01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Especially when replying to someone. I'll tap on "Reply" and use voice to respond but always have to tap "Send" to send it out. When I tried, I said "Hey Siri" after to try and send it and it just added "Hey Siri" to the end of my message.

9. TeamHufflepuff macrumors newbie

That's the impression I'm getting too. If you completely start the message with Siri, like by saying "Hey Siri tell John jump up and down" and then she creates the message preview "Jump up and down" you can say "Hey Siri send" to get Siri to start listening to you again and send the message she just previewed for you. This is different then hitting the dictate button from within the messages app or when replying to a notification, because then you're just dictating, not using Siri.

10. simonx314 macrumors regular

After dictating the message, you have to wait for Siri to stop listening and present the screen with the Cancel/Send buttons, then you can say "hey Siri send". It's not easy to pull this off. I hope software updates make the Apple Watch more hands-free.

11. derekshank macrumors member

I don't have my watch yet, so I can't speak with authority... but I've read this complaint elsewhere... so it seems legit.

It does feel like an oversight by Apple. What is the point of being able to wake Siri up with your voice, if you can't actually complete the task without physically hitting a button?

I'm hoping Apple fixes this with an update.

12. TeamHufflepuff macrumors newbie

Instead of hitting reply and dictating, you can probably (because this works on iPhone) say "Hey Siri reply jump up and down" and she'll show you a preview of a message that says "Jump up and down" that's aimed to go to the sender of your most recent unread message (likely the one you're trying to reply to). Then again do the whole "Hey Siri send" thing.

13. Kent01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm excited to give this a shot and see if it works.

Thank you guys for your insight on the matter, i'll post back when I can try it again shortly.

14. derekshank macrumors member

Oh yeah? That's a bit clunky... but still better than being forced to hit a button - so I'm glad to hear that.

I'm guessing the problem comes from the fact that Siri is silent on the Watch. That's obviously a deliberate choice by Apple - but I'm not sure I understand it.

15. TeamHufflepuff macrumors newbie

He's not talking about ending Siri without hitting a button. He's talking about ending dictation, which doesn't even end automatically on iPhone. You're talking about how Siri takes a while to end automatically, which is a problem I've been hearing about too, but something different.

16. Kent01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking it's a mix of conserving battery life and also that the speaker is not that audible given its size. I have to give credit to the sound engineers that created the "ping" sound when you get a notification as it's audible, albeit slightly, in rather noisy environments.

Hearing peoples voice while on a call though? Not so much. So trying to hear Siri would probably only yield favorable results in light to quiet environments.

17. derekshank macrumors member

So, you are saying that he's not using Siri, but rather hitting the microphone button to begin dictation?

That's not what I understand his complaint to be.

Here is my understanding:

"Hey Siri, text my wife that I'll be home in 15 minutes"

With the iPhone, she will then ask if you want to send the message... but with the Apple Watch, you have to physically tap a button before the message will send.

That is my understanding of the problem - and I've seen this complaint elsewhere.

Are we talking about the same thing? Do I understand it correctly?

----------

Probably true. But I'm not sure I buy that as the reason.

If the speaker were that bad, there would be no "speaker phone" functionality as an option.

We all understand that if you're going to take a call on speaker phone, it needs to be in a quiet environment. Siri is mostly the same way... so I'm not sure why turning the voice on isn't an option at least.

18. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Texting With Siri

Yes you can. Trigger Siri by saying "hey Siri text (name) (message). It will then show what you want sent.

THEN say "hey Siri send text". Done it will send the text with no physical interaction with the watch.

19. Kent01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate every response in this thread greatly. I would like to clarify the issue I am presenting.

I receive a text message and tap "Reply" and instead of using a prefab response I tap the microphone icon to use voice dictation. It immediately goes to the "listening" mode and I voice my response. At the end of voicing my response it just sits there and so far requires me to tap on "Send".

If I say "Hey Siri" as posted above for a possible resolution, it just adds "hey Siri" to my message at the end.

I have not yet tried waiting a few seconds and saying "Hey Siri" so I will attempt that next.

20. derekshank macrumors member

Yes, that clarifies it.

That's the same as it is on the iPhone then. If you tap the microphone on the iPhone, you aren't technically using Siri.

If you physically touch a button to activate dictation, you must physically touch a button to deactivate it.

That makes sense to me at least. Because you aren't really trying to make it hands free, since you started the process with your hands in the first place.

21. simonx314 macrumors regular

If it helps, you can do this without using your hand by moving your Watch to your face and tapping the send button with your nose.

22. Rangers94 macrumors regular

Rangers94

Thank you! I did not know this.

23. tknice macrumors member

Anyone know if there is anything I can say so Siri will delete the last word? What are you guys doing if the dictation gets it wrong?

24. derekshank macrumors member

Not to my knowledge... but I hope they add a way to correct minor mistakes.

Having said that, something tells me that I'm going to have to relax my compulsion to use perfect grammar while sending texts.

25. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Start over. I don't know a way to delete a word, even on the iPhone.