Thank you and a brief farewell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jr866gooner, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Evening all. It's with sadness I move over to android for a short while.

Taken a new contract with a device I made sure had a similar sim the same size! My aim is to learn and no doubt frustrate myself on this platform and delve back onto my iPhone on occasion. It goes without saying that I love my iPhone but will be lucky enough to mix it up!

I've made great friends here and fully intend to lurk and advise on what is truly a device I hold close to my heart.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Did you sign up with Samsungs Free trial? I looked at the Note 5 in the stores more than once and even place an order for it. But, as my order was just about ready to ship I couldn't go through with it, and canceled it. Now that I have my Sim Free 6S Plus I'm glad that I did that. Let us know how you like the Android platform, and I hope you enjoy your new phone. :)

5. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I was considering this as well. Hopefully you'll get a chance to update on your thoughts and experiences. I always enjoy reading others opinions when they move from one platform to another. Either iOS to android or android to iOS. Good luck and enjoy!

6. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

Good luck. I dabbled in the droid side. I came back to iPhone. It just wasn't as refined and it had more quirks that I didn't like. Virus scans. Malware scans and general performance issues with anything that wasn't googles software.

Each persons experience is different let us know what you think after a Month?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

8. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Experimentation is always good. You gain perspective and knowledge.
    Enjoy your Android device! I enjoy my Note 4 as a secondary device.

9. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Hello thanks for the great comments! By no means an iPhone fan boy but yes willing to dabble with android after 3 years. I've already decided at the 24 month contract end I'll no doubt switch back again!

I went for the Samsung Galaxy S6 which after my S2 I swore not to touch them again but the time felt right.

I shall certainly do my best to help all here with my iOS experience. It's something I've thoroughly enjoyed and felt privileged to be part of such a family. The Apple Store experience is like no other and that should be the bench mark. If I'm 100% honest the reason I went android was cost. At this time i wanted the IP6 but couldn't get a good deal and the S6 just felt like a decent move! I'll let you know in a few weeks how it goes! typing this out on iOS keyboard tho is perfection, one thing I need to adapt to on android.. The keyboard lol

10. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

The Android keyboard way better especially SwiftKey. But it's all a matter of getting used to it!

11. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Don't leave. When I went over to android for a bit, I still kept posting on the Alternatives section linked above. There's some really great people over their like @MRU who are willing to help you with Android and have lots of experience. MRU seems to buy every single flagship out there :)

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I've been using Android AND iPhones since the originals.

My experience with Android has been terrific. Because I must carry two phones, I have been carrying both platforms and find it a wonderful solution, fun, and very educational as each year goes by.

Enjoy your Android, I'm sure you will.

Cheers :D

13. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

Galaxy S6 is a great phone, you won't be disappointed! I almost went with one of the S6 variants (S6, S6 Edge, Note 5, S6 Edge +) myself. Also I second the use of Swiftkey for Android, I like that keyboard a lot on my tablet.

14. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

That's same thing I told the judge, "experimentation is good", he still sentenced me on the drug charges. Said I would gain perspective and knowledge in the county jail. I did!

This post brought to you purely for amusement and entertainment purposes. Any relationship to real evens or persons is purely coincidental.

15. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Best of luck to you. I just finished a 6 month hiatus from iOS with a Galaxy S5. It was one of the most frustrating times of my life. There are certainly things I liked about the android world and specifically the S5, but as a whole it was way more annoying. The lack of "it just works" polish in Android land is too much for me to deal with. And specifically, the S5 would randomly come on when it was in my pocket and start doing things, like playing music very loudly. Worse yet, it wouldn't easily stop doing it once I discovered it. There were many other things too... and the lack of quick access to fixes when bad things were in the wild. One of them I don't believe still is fixed and had resulted in my turning off autoloading images in texts... what a pain that was. And doing multi-person texting with other folks having iOS also was painful. Just so happy to be back to iOS.

But as I said, good luck with that!

16. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

Hey, we all need change from time to time.. I went from iPhone 5 to Samsung S5, then back to iPhone. If I
    didn't get the iPhone 6s+, my next choice possibly would have been a Note 5.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

After my disastrous 6+ experience, had the Note 5 been available in the UK I would quite possibly have plumped for it. As it's not, I opted for the 6S+ and I'm glad that I did.

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

19. Newtons Apple, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There are some slick devices on android and I could not blame one for trying it out. It is too late for me, been on Apple's hardware for a long time and all works too well together.

Good luck on your "brief" visit with the dark side. Let us know how you are doing and you are always welcome to come back.

20. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Don't feel like you're missing out. I found myself doing the same exact thing on both devices, so I switched back to iPhone.

21. jrpmsms macrumors member

jrpmsms

For once... a positive thread about change! Proud of y'all.

22. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

The last thing I would want to read is negativity. Yes it may be the "dark side" but certainly not my last for foray into apple!

23. welsea macrumors member

welsea

I hope you like your S6 more than I did! Good luck. :)

24. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

OP, download AOSP keyboard apk from online. Its like the Google keyboard, but instead of the just having number shortcuts from long pressing the top row, you get all kinds of punctuation shortcuts on every key. Its sort of like having a shift key and an old slider physical keyboard layout.

25. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I really want to say everyone's reaction is awesome.

No one is bashing or anything. And some are even praising Android.

Competition is great. Neither platform would be as far along as they are now without competition pushing each other. Some of it is pure copying, but many other aspects are not. I'm glad both platforms exist. I've used both and prefer iPhone myself, but I wouldn't hate on someone for liking or using Android.

I would kill for a device with the Samsung lens but Apple's image processor and sensor on their camera.

I hope you enjoy and end up using whatever you like best!