Thank you Apple for killing the camp out!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nobody08, Mar 30, 2015.

1. nobody08 macrumors regular

nobody08

I couldnt say I didnt see this coming, but for something like the apple watch, not a new iPhone or iPad. I am a little dissapointed in not being able to goto my local apple store the night before and having the famous "camp out". I remember for the iPhone 6/6 plus i was like 5-10 min late tring to preoder and the shipping had already been pushed back 2 weeks. So i did like many time in the past just planned on going to the store and getting one on release day. 1st gen iPad, 1st iPad mini, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 plus were all purchsed on the release day after hours of sitting outside with many other anxious people waiting to do the same. I plan to be extremly on time on the 10th to pre order the apple watch and hope I can schedule and reservation for the 24th to pick one up in store as well.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Perhaps one of the reasons Apple is doing it this way is to try to cut down on the scalpers? I dislike it when someone goes in and buys 30 units on release day and then waits for inventory to run out so they can sell them for 4 times the retail price.

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Pre-order online. Don't be late.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

OR remain calm and visit the store weeks later when the dust has settled.:rolleyes:

5. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

This is what I do with any product.. and wait until all of the kinks have been worked out.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good for them, it makes going into an apple store a pain in the neck for any other need. I get all my new products from apple online, beats sleeping outside just to be the first group to get something. I'm not that worked up about needing to be first for an apple device

7. smr macrumors 6502a

For me, the scalpers killed the camp out. I'm pleased to see that Apple seem to have come up with a sales model that hopefully kills the scalpers. I suppose the scalpers could place a load of pre-orders, but then if stock meets demand they won't be able to sell for a premium.

8. nobody08 thread starter macrumors regular

nobody08

Overall I do believe it was a good decision. As it was mentioned it should reduce the number of people who go just buy as many as possible to resell them. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way all product launches go from here on. Just kinda sad to see the end of the "camp out" era.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a good point as well. I was in SF for Oracle's OpenWorld last September and I was near the Apple store. Every morning I saw the same people waiting in line buying up the iPhone 6. They paid cash and each bought as many as they could that morning.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

That will not happen in weeks . . .

Maybe when they introduce the Watch 2.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

He obviously wants the product on release day, so that suggestion probably wouldn't help much.

12. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

If you want to get just make a reservation online , and go to the apple store and then go to the store and try and on the Apple the watch, if you like then you can pre-order it at the Apple store. If you do not want to try it one then just pre-order it online.

The Reservation system will also work when the Apple watch releases on the 24th

13. KPOM macrumors G5

As I've pointed out in other threads, buying a watch is different. There are lots of different choices and people want to check it out. They are devoting up to 15 minutes per customer. They simply can't handle 1000 people showing up at 5th Avenue and similar stores across the country the night of the 23rd. Their experience in China with the reservation system has been successful and has avoided the huge crowds (which became problematic).

14. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

That is good that the system works in China, I hope it works here in the US, To me I think there might be plenty of watches available just depend when some go and try the watch on at the store they will probably be like I do not like it then they leave.

15. technosix macrumors 6502a

Let's face it, the scalpers are good for Apple.

They create headlines
    They frustrate the Apple Faithful
    They buy product
    What's not to like...

16. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I gotta say I agree, part of the apple release date experience is the comraderie between fanboys haha. regardless if you're camping out for walk ins or camping out for the product, it's a great experience. I've done the falling in line early for 5S, but it failed miserably cuz they were out of gold LOL. the 6 I preordered, but the preorder line was excitingly cool.

PREORDER it is.

17. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I am surprised they did this from the standpoint that Apple usually loves the media coverage from campouts.

18. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I think camp outs and lines have run there course, and no longer serve the need they once did. In fact, for Apple, camp outs and lines probably hurt more than help. In years past, they generated hype around products, and help put Apple back on the map. They don't need that anymore. If Apple does anything, it is major news.

All the lines and camping out do is perpetuate the idea that Apple has a "cult" following that will buy anything they put out. Samsung successfully used them to take shots at Apple in advertising. Plus, Apple wants to be sure they are the ones that stop the camping out, not customers. The first Apple product that doesn't have lines because of lack of interest would be a huge hit to their public perception. Killing them on their terms prevents that, and you can see it is what Apple has been pushing towards for a few years with the extensive preordering.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

Agreed, but one risk is that with the Watch, if there isn't a "camp out" then that could create a perception that it's a "flop," which Apple doesn't want, either. Since they control the supply chain they can announce a "sellout" or sales "beyond their expectations," but they have already said they will not release sales numbers like they do with the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. If the "Accessories" revenue line shows a big jump, though, analysts will make some broad estimates.

----------

I think they want to manage traffic. For starters, this won't be as popular as the iPhone or iPad, so even with a single SKU they wouldn't have had the same demand. Second, a long line perpetuates the idea that Apple products are for a predominantly male-oriented tech customer base. They are doing everything they can to avoid that image for the Watch, since they know it will be important to sell it to women and get positive coverage in the fashion press. Finally, with 34 different styles and multiple sizes of bands (for the Watch line, at least), it will take longer to process in-person sales.

My guess is that Apple will want the typical tech buyer to go through the online channel and pre-order. The retail stores are catered to those who aren't sure and want to try it on. Until they truly know demand and have matched supply to it, the reservation system helps them manage the sales process.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

**Visits the store 2 weeks later**

"Hi, I'm here to buy an Apple watch?"
    "Sorry, we're out of stock and don't know when we'll get more".

**Tries to order online**

Estimated delivery date 30 days out.

21. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Well it remains to be seen how effective this reservation system is.

It won't deter scalpers altogether though. It just means no more queue.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

With an April release that may be less likely. After the initial wave of demand is met, I'm guessing sales drop off to more manageable levels until the holiday quarter.

I'm curious what Apple's normal release time will be for updates. It appears they initially wanted to launch this with the iPhone 6, since it would catch the holiday shopping season. But a September refresh might be too soon (Apple took some flak for the iPad 4 release, though it wound up being the most successful iPad). I could see a minor refresh or some new band options (a red modern buckle, leather bands for the space black stainless steel, and perhaps some colored steel or aluminum watch body options) this fall, but wonder if the first refresh might not be until January 2016 (for Valentine's Day/Chinese New Year).

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

So, you need to Camp out!:p

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Pre order FTW.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

While you are camping out?