Thanks, Apple, for making my 3G suck while I wait for my iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 6-0 Prolene, Jun 26, 2010.

1. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 experience is getting infuriating.

I'm working away from home right now, so getting my iPhone shipped on release day wasn't an option (they'll only ship to the AT&T service address). So I decided to pick up my iPhone 4 at a local Apple store. Made the reservation, etc. etc.

Little did I know that my "reservation" earned me the right to stand in line for 4 hours waiting for my phone. Being an adult with an actual life and a job, I didn't exactly have the option of spending my day there, so I left. So I ordered my iPhone 4 for mid-July delivery to my house.

In the mean time, though, I downloaded and installed iOS 4 on my 3G. HUGE mistake. Pretty much the only features worth any mention that actually work on the 3G are folders and the unified inbox, and the performance decrement has been enormous. Things that once worked smoothly are annoyingly slow. rotating the screen can be a 10-15 second process, there's now a huge lag when sending text messages, the Mail app runs slower... everything just sucks. There's now a significant lag doing just about everything on my 3G under iOS 4.

Between the total sham of "reservations" at the stores and the mess that the "upgrade" to iOS4 made of my 3G I'm feeling pretty disgruntled.

Anyone else having performance problems with the 3G running iOS 4?

2. xmtgx macrumors regular

4 hours eh? Nice and short, Waited from 7am till 3pm while i was 100th in line...
    During that time probably 1.5k preorders went thru. Reservation should not = quick service, it should only gaurentee you can get the phone. Apparently apple thinks otherwise and that they should be pampered

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

The only way to halfway correct the performance is to restore fresh - no restoring from an old 3.X.X backup. At least it was for me.

4. quid squid macrumors regular

yup, downgrade to your previous OS. problem fixed. Folders aren't worth the lag.

5. 6-0 Prolene thread starter macrumors 6502

That wasn't my experience at all. I wish I had gone to the "pampering" store. I, for one, believe that a reservation should mean that you walk in and pick up a phone within a reasonable time frame. Why else would anyone reserve a phone?

There was clearly no planning at the store I went to--they know how many people have reservations, they know about how long it takes to set up an iPhone, and yet they had nowhere near enough help on release day.

6. 6-0 Prolene thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the best way to downgrade? Doesn't seem like there's any easy way to do it in iTunes.

7. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I had installed the 4.0 GM and one of the betas, both lasted a few days before I downgraded to 3.1.3 because of the horrible lag.

8. selahvie macrumors newbie

There might be something else going on with your 3G. Mine (8GB with almost no free space) is noticeably faster after upgrading to iOS4. I haven't really tried any of my resource intensive games yet, but the actions you described (screen rotation, texts, mail) are much smoother and faster. Applications all launch faster than I ever remember them and just overall it's more responsive and smooth. BTW, I also waited in line and had to give up. Fortunately, I had placed orders for 2 phones with a "July 2nd ship date" that have already shipped. I'll be getting them Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. I actually got the shipment notification for one of them at 5:30am while waiting in the Apple store line on the 24th...

9. quid squid macrumors regular

10. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

4.0 works great on my 3G after a clean install.

11. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

what planet do you live on?

12. Skoal macrumors 65816

Gave my 3G to my daughter when I recieved my iPhone 4. Prior to that I upgraded to iOS4 and man did it lag when texting. Seems to have cleared up for some reason without a restore, who knows.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The same planet where a million people are willing to stand 4 hours + in line to get an iPhone because they're unwilling to wait for shipping. You tell me which makes more sense.

14. me2000 macrumors 6502

My 3G running iOS4 was dog slow... There was a few seconds delay when typing... I just kept typing and it eventually showed up on the screen.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why are you thanking Apple?

No one said you needed the new iPhone on release day. This was your choice.
    No one said you needed to stand in line for an iPhone because you cannot wait a week or so for the newest toy. This was your choice.
    No one forced you to download and upgrade to iOS 4. This was your choice.

What people have said is that iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G is possibly not the best upgrade path. Reports vary by user and quite frankly if you really upgraded your iPhone 3G to iOS 4 for folders and the unified inbox then it was likely not worth your time. This, again, was your choice. What you should do is do a restore and fresh install. I hear that may be worthwhile.

There's a theme here and since you are an actual adult with an adult job I cannot understand why you are blaming Apple for your choices.

I too am an actual adult with an actual job and an iPhone 3G. I made a choice to wait for my own reasons. No matter my love or hate for the company I make these choices on my own. It's called free will. It is difficult to empathize with someone when they make their own choices. Hopefully you learn from this and move on.

Uh, it should mean that you don't spend half your day (if not more) waiting for something. To me people who reserved were not much better off than people who didn't.

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

My 3G was unbearably slow when it first finished restoring my phone. Not unlike what you are all describing.

Until I restarted my phone. Now it's as zippy as it was on 3.1.3. No restore as new phone or anything. Same set of settings since I bought it 23 months ago, and with 3GB of apps on it.

17. BeckyG macrumors member

BeckyG

Ditto

Mine is running exactly as you described, and I'm not sure if I even want to mess around with it...hopefully I will get the 4 soon. I called my LV store and they said, "mmm maybe next week?"

18. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Lol that's funny considering some people who had them shipped got them a day early. They didn't have to wait in line just had to get up off the couch.

19. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

OP, I had the exact same problem. EVERYTHING is slower and it's terrible. But there's hope. Just downgrade your firmware back to 3.1.3.

1. Have your phone connected
    2. Download a clean firmware off the internet of 3.1.3 firmware
    3. Put your phone into DFU mode: Turn off your phone, then hold the home + power button for 10 seconds, then let go of the power button and continue holding the home button for 10 seconds
    4. It should come up that you have a phone in recovery mode
    5. When you get this message Option/Alt click the restore option on itunes and choose the 3.1.3 file you downloaded
    6. You will probably get a 10XX error THAT'S OK!
    7. From here what I did is I tried the iRecovery route but that didn't work. You can go this way but it didn't work for me. Heres what worked.
    8. Downloaded Blackra1n off the internet, yes the jailbreaking tool.
    9. Click Make it Rain, and then waited a little bit.
    10. My phone restarted and I had 3.1.3 on my phone with 5.13.04 baseband.

This is all on the internet but I suggest you downgrade because 4.0 was terrible with the 3G.

20. 6-0 Prolene thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha... I love how it's my fault that I expect Apple to actually provide a product on the day that it's being released, and that I have the nerve to expect that a software update actually work. The only bad choice I can see is believing that Apple would deliver a quality product within a reasonable time frame.

I'm a long time Apple user and have often endured the annoyances that come with that, but I'm glad that I never made the "choice" to chug the Kool-Aid as heavily as you seem to have. Blame me for the company not delivering. Awesome.

Expecting a software upgrade to actually work, and not to have to stand in line for ridiculous amounts of time to pick up something you ordered--oh, the audacity.:rolleyes:

21. 6-0 Prolene thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've tried everything but the clean restore. Not sure I want to mess with it.

22. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

OP, you had all day to go pick up your phone. Why didn't you go back to the Apple Store AFTER work?

A reserved iPhone is just that, a reserved iPhone. No one else can take it, only you. A reserved iPhone is NOT a speed pass. People who reserved their phones WILL get their phone. They had all day to pick it up.

Non-pre orders did not have a reserved phone and had to "wait and see".

There should only have been one line. As you enter the store you tell them whether or not you have a reservation, and then they take the phone from the appropriate pile and continue on as normal.

Once all the walk-in phones are gone, all the other walk-ins waiting can leave...making the line shorter for reservations.

23. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

3g iOS4

Man .. i was tempted to update iOS 4 GM to avoid the hassle of updating when Apple release the official firmware - usual first day is crazy overload and activation problem. Now, I think i will jailbreak my 3g - if it is possible - after I get my iphone 4.

24. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

That's what I'm thinking! Everyone is blaming me for putting iOS4 on my 3G. How is it my fault? I didn't expect it to be THIS bad. People were saying it'd be bad, but people on here exaggerate a lot. Now I'm waiting until mid-July for my iPhone 4, also.

25. stphnman20 macrumors regular

Yea my 3g with iOS4 is slow and laggy..

If Apple told us about this I wouldn't have downloaded it.. You know theres a thing called testing.. :rolleyes: