Thanks to the guy at Cupertino Target

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gonzo75, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Gonzo75 macrumors newbie

This morning, I was in my car in an empty parking lot. Another guy pulled up then a third. When the third car pulled up, the guy who came second got out of his car and stood in line. The last guy who showed up got out of his car to stand in line so I decided to get out my car.

So even though I was first at Target, I was third in line.

There were only 2 iPad 2s at this Target and long story short, I told Target to decide who should get the iPads explaining I was last in line but first at the store. The guy who arrived 2nd and was 1st in line (who without question, should be the guy who gets one) just said, "You know what, I can wait another week. Why don't you guys buy these." I thanked him because personally, I thought I should be the odd man out but thought I would at least attempt to make an effort since I was at Target at about 7:30 AM.

Anyhow, if that dude is a Macrumors forum reader, thanks a bunch.

2. Walko83 macrumors member

Hey you are welcome, now paypal me $200 bucks for holding your spot in the line!:D

3. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

You got lucky there! Congrats, but I don't know many people who would have been so generous of spirit;)

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You got lucky. Thousands of other people are not so lucky!

5. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

You are lucky that they helped you because I would have not given you my ipad. If you really wanted it that bad, you would have already gotten out of your car and was standing in line before the other guys. That's just like going to the apple store at the mall and claiming that you should be first in line since you spent the night in the bathroom. Either way, congrats!

6. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

You are lucky... Sorry but you shouldnt have gotten one IMO

7. 482214 macrumors 6502

Just had to get that in there didn't you... Cant just let an act of random kindness pass by with a smile.

Good for the OP and well done to the mystery stranger... Good thing it wasnt TheTruth!

8. brettatk, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

brettatk macrumors regular

This. I consider myself a nice guy, but I doubt I would have passed and let you have it. You should have already been in line.

9. matt550 macrumors 6502

I agree.

10. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

1st of all, please kindly forgive me for being rude. :eek:

What are you actually doing in your car that you let those 2 other people get in line ahead of you even though you reached the Target parking lot first? :confused: IMHO, I agree that you're first to be at the Target parking lot but ultimately, the other 2 guys should "technically" be the ones who get the iPads because they are the ones who are in line before you. Excuse my ignorance & stupidity, or is my reasoning wrong? :confused:

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Ballsy move, but I wouldn't press my luck in the future. I show up to places early and see people in cars all the time. I always get out and stand at the door. That is where the line starts.

12. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

That is what I understand where it all counts....

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Definitely a nice gesture from that guy. I wouldn't have given up my spot that easily. Now don't go selling it on craigslist for $2,252,135 more now. :D

14. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Dude, Target owed u nothing. They were supposed to give the ipad to the first two in line. U decided not to get out of your car and be third in line. Its people like u who are rediculous. It doesnt matter if you were first to the store. u decided to be lazy and not get out the car. who's fault is that?! The crazy part about it is that u actually watched two people who got to the store after u walk to the door!!

Play by the rules.

15. iPadztr macrumors 6502

I would give props to the guy who gave up his line for you. you on the other hand.. no so much :D..

16. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why you guys are being so mean. I am not getting any impression of a sense of entitlement here. He said that he was the odd man out and the other guy was just doing a nice deed so he was thanking him.

17. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

18. brettatk, Mar 17, 2011

brettatk macrumors regular

I would have agreed if he had not said:

Sounds to me like he expected to get an iPad since he was first at the store. Otherwise there was nothing to decide. He was third in line and there were only two iPads, easy decision there. Even if I had thought about giving up my spot to him if I heard him say that to the Target employee I'd change my mind and take the iPad.

Then again, maybe we're all just bitter that we don't have one yet! :D

19. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

The iPads should've gone to the people in line. Case closed. As others have said, you got lucky. You didn't deserve one.

20. DoubleTheC, Mar 17, 2011

DoubleTheC macrumors newbie

Sounds to me like he left it up to Target to decide who is technically first, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Not to mention, how many people would take the time to thank the person again after everything was said and done? ::shrug::

Congrats man. Do something extra nice for someone today. Best thing to do when good karma comes your way is to pass it on :)

21. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Yea but he also said that he felt like he was the odd man out. If it was left up to the Target employee, he would not have gotten an iPad...and he knew that but figured he'd try anyway.

He is thanking the guy who was nice enough to give up his iPad for him...not the employee for recognizing he was the first one in the parking lot.

22. Gonzo75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wrote my post as a way of maybe re-thanking the guy if he's a Macrumors.com reader.

Anyhow, no argument that I was lucky and I certainly didn't feel a sense of entitlement.

I don't need the karma police to be ticketing me so I'll do some type of random act of kindness.

23. ALUOp macrumors member

So could you now share your knowledge and let us know if that Target gets new shipment every day?

24. Gonzo75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been randomly checking. There haven't been any at the Cupertino Target but there does show Availability of the White 64GB Verizon model at the San Jose North Target. Info below:

95 Holger Way
    San Jose, CA 95134
    (408) 834-1527

Last time I checked was 9:43 AM PST. Good Luck!

25. rkuo macrumors 6502a

That one has been in the system for several days. Red herring.