Thano Tech K11 Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mactaculious, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Mactaculious macrumors regular

2. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

From what I read about the bumper with the tpu molded in it supposedly doesn't effect the signal at all.

It looks really awesome and I've seen some reviews of it. I wanted it, but all the cheaper options are already gone and I'm not spending 30 for a bumper.

3. Mactaculious thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, supposedly doesn't effect signal—I'll wait and see what the actual reviews are from the first adopters.

Another thing is odd based on early reviews is that you have a aluminum bumper but it's slippery; kind of defeats the purpose of having a bumper if it's going to be slip-drop-prone.

And I agree it is a bit pricey for just a bumper.

4. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Nice bumper but the cheap slots to donate are gone. Also doesn't seam like it fits very snug on phone from the video

5. iamcaseyf macrumors member

iamcaseyf

I backed it, got it for $24. Might as well give it a whirl and see how it performs! Wont ship til november though

6. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

The bottom of the case looks really bad, I don't know why they decided on such a varied tone on the bottom.

7. clankfu macrumors member

8. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

As with all the maybe 24 or so Aluminum bumpers I've used. If you surround the phones perimeter with metal it forms a faraday cage that blocks the signal. It doesn't matter that the metal is separated with a plastic or rubber product. Look at Verus and Spigen aluminum bumpers they're almost identical to this one. The Amazon reviews are full of signal issue criticisms. I have six of those bumpers. There is a TPU liner that helps a little but both Cell and WiFi are impacted. I can live with it sometimes but in a low signal strength area it goes to no signal. Google these bumpers you will think your looking at the K11.

9. clankfu macrumors member

10. Mactaculious thread starter macrumors regular

11. AFDoc, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

AFDoc macrumors 68030

agree.... funny that 2 of these threads pop up close to one another. EVERY aluminum case says they don't affect the wifi/cell signal..... EVERY one I've every tried did..... Guess I could have had horrible luck and just bought all the ones that did mess up the signal but I doubt it.

Oh who the hell am I kidding.... Just backed a twin pack for $44.......

I did contact them and ask if they have done signal strength testing and am waiting to hear back.

12. Mactaculious thread starter macrumors regular

No I don't it's luck. It's known that they interfere with signals strength.

This a good read on aluminum bumpers and their impact on signal strength.

https://jetcityninja.wordpress.com/...-cases-will-affect-cellphone-signal-strength/

13. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

That's funny, I ended up ordering one for $24.00 before bed last night. I just figured that it's possible the actual physical breaks in the Aluminum (unlike the oval break) may work like Element Case bumpers that seem to not effect signal. Oh well, I guess for $24.00 it would be a small loss.

14. mkasu macrumors member

mkasu

Someone asked a question in Kickstarter comments regarding signal strength and the company already replied.

15. Mactaculious thread starter macrumors regular

Time will tell when the reviews come in if it affects the signal or not. Clearly, the company is not going to be forthcoming on this, if it does interefere with signal strength.