That's extremely annoying that you can't join a photo stream unless you have iOS 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, May 21, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I, like many others, dislike most of the changes they've made with their software updates and kept my iOS 5.01.

Why is that the only way to share photos? Apple is not user friendly, they're control freaks. And I don't want to screw w setting up iCloud just to see some pictures. What a pain in the ass.

2. mumph macrumors regular

I agree, i cant get retina quality graphics on my non retina screen. I dont see why I should pay to upgrade to get the latest technology. At least iOS updates are free though... :rolleyes:

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not. There is also facebook, twitter, instagram, drobox, flickr, Google+/Picasa...

Aside from Maps, which not only has steadily improved, but can now be mitigated with the Google Maps app, what else is there that is so bad about iOS 6 that you refuse to upgrade?

Maybe it's time for you to switch platforms, then.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Next frontier on OS Updates: A-La-Carte service.

Only gimme the stuff I want and nothing else! Would be nice I guess.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

There's finally a Google Maps app with turn by turn navigation available so I don't see any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6 now.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

It doesn't look as good

----------

Most ppl seem to use this photo stream, and unfortunately the iPhone still has the smoothest interface

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's a logical reason why iOS 6 is required, iOS 5 just doesn't have the needed programming to be able to join one.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh ok, ya I guess that's logical. I guess my beef then is w the changes made to the programs I liked (maps, YouTube). I also don't like the dimensions of the iPhone 5.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

Unfortunately they have the smoothest interface? Unfortunately?

I'd hate to see how you deal with real problems. I'm guessing you probably don't.

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Why is that confusing to you? I'm saying unfortunately I am stuck using iPhones because they still have the best interface but are riddled with dozens of irritating flaws. Droids surpassed iPhones long ago in almost every other department.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'm usually the first to point out that Spple are control freaks, but your points just don't even make sense. Don't like the 5? Don't get one. You can enjoy everything about ios6 on a 4s, and most of those features on a 4 and 3GS.

Not sure about your point about google maps. The download version of google maps actually looks better than what you are comparing it to. You say you don't like the new maps, so you must be comparing it to 5.x and precious. Same maps (actually better now that its on the AppStore and with more features).

YouTube I suppose I can understand. Fact is, google releases that app too and google made it what they wanted. If they wanted it to function identically to how it functioned on 5.x and earlier, there was nothing stoping them. If your beef is with YouTube, you can be upset with google for that one.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh trust me I hate Google way more than Apple

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

:confused:

Not sure how this response to my statement makes sense.

14. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. Hate Apple, hate Google. Upgrade your iOS and get on with your life. If you don't want to upgrade, that's on you.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is like looking over the fence for that alluring blonde next door except she's so dumb! :D

Can't you back up your LIKED Apps from your IOS5 phone (if you still have them), then update to IOS6, then reload those same Apps as they were? and ignore the update notices? Never tried this myself.

Anywhoo u started with no like IOS6, then u dragged in hardware I5. All over the place my friend.

16. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't think you can back up native apps like YouTube or Maps

17. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

If you're going to complain this much about not getting your way and about something so meaningless, you're going to be seriously disappointed in life when you grow up and become an adult.

18. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Assuming he's not an adult already.

I'd suggest just updating to iOS 6, there's a ton of cool new features, the AppStore YouTube and GMaps are much nicer than the iOS5 variants IMO, and they actually get updated.

19. cPol macrumors member

cPol

Allow me to let you in on a secret: Droids are riddled with dozens of irritating flaws, too. The difference between the two is that you either don't know about/haven't experienced the Droid flaws yet or you haven't had to be irritated by them over a long period of time. Were you a Droid user, you'd be on one of their forums complaining about how you're stuck using a Droid while the iPhone is better in some other regard.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1.It is not. False. You can share via Facebook, Flickr, G+, 500px, dropbox, skydrive, or setup your own FTP server and upload there, there are apps that support FTP.

2. Not having new software components, in old software, is a poor example of a control freak. Windows 95 never gained the Win7 backup feature. Noone is crying.

3. iOS 5 also has iCloud. It's near effortless, and takes no more than 3-4 clicks in the menu.

You don't have to have an iPhone 5 to use iOS6.

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

What does the iPhone 5 have to do with iOS 6?

My iPhone 4S runs iOS 6 fine.

YouTube's app is now available as a separate download.

So is Google Maps.

Not sure what your issue is at this point.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

So get a droid. Or stay with Apple. Either way your approach is absurd. You would feel better moving to another platform if Apple were inferior in more ways.

"I have a Kia but want a BMW. Unfortunately Kia has the nicest leather steering wheel so I feel stuck with it."

Make a choice and move on.

23. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah good points. The iPhone 5 comment I was kinda just thinking out loud and tying in that the dimensions were an additional reason I didn't buy it along with iOS 6. Sorry that does seem like a random transition there looking back.

----------

Really? This makes me feel better, thanks. Could you possibly list some of the flaws droids have to help me put my concerns in perspective and not be bothered so much?

----------

Sorry, I honestly don't mean to sound like a whiny neurotic child. I admit a lot of my concerns do end up being solvable or exaggerated, however I do feel the iPhone has its fair share of flaws.

24. leonhkbx macrumors newbie

The download version of google maps actually looks better than what you are comparing it to.[​IMG]

25. cPol macrumors member

cPol

No, I can't. Because what one person views as a flaw, another person doesn't care about at all. Prime example: Your gripe with photo stream. It's bothering you, meanwhile I don't give a wet slap. So, I could list off some of Droid's idiosyncrasies that I don't care for and your response could be, "See!? That's nothing! It totally backs up what I'm saying about Apple!"

No one environment is perfect. There are simply environments which fulfill the majority of an individual's needs coupled with compromises one is willing to live with. And those needs and compromises will be different for every, single
    individual.