That's it...I'm done with screen protectors.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by detoxguy, Oct 20, 2010.

?

Do you use a pouch? If so then how's the screen?

1. I hate pouches and don't use them

59 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. I use a pouch and a screen protector

20 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. I use a pouch and naked phone. The screen is perfect.

17 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. I use a pouch and naked phone. The screen is scratched.

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. detoxguy macrumors member

I tried. I really tried. I had one on my iPhone 3G, spent a fortune on them until I finally got one on perfect. I can't stand any defects on a screen protector install but live in a dusty old house (I even went so far as trying the steamy shower thing...boy that made me feel like a dork...) When I got my 3GS I tried a couple more times and in the end just said ***** it and got myself an sena corsa pouch, the screen was fine.

When I got the iPhone 4 i bought into all the "it's make of brittle glass and scratches easy" hysteria and once again ran around buying and trying for the perfect install...there was always on little speck of dust, or was like looking at an oilslick...today was the last straw...I tried again got it on perfect! then was holding my beautiful iPhone 4 with a front and back plastic film on it and it reminded me of sitting on my grandma's beautiful antique furniture...covered in plastic. gross.

I'm now liberated beautiful clear glass and my new Sena ultraslim for iPhone 4 and I'm sure my glass will be fine. I just can't do the OCD freaking out about the glass thing anymore.

Why don't more people use the pouches and rock a naked phone? Seem to be in a huge minority (at least on the forum). Anyone been using a pouch with naked phone since launch? How's the screen holding up?

2. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

know the tricks to install...bathroom run hot water..mist the air for flying lints..
    also tape is very important when you see a bit of dust/lint after installing the screen protector lift it up a bit and use the tape and stick it to the dust/lint it works great..i never have any problems with my installs when i do this like this..i did get a free replacement from power support due to defect on the front screen but i have not used it yet hehe its my back up:D

hey i live in a dusty house too but i clean:D

3. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I gave up on screen protectors about 2 weeks ago. Ive used a pouch for about the last week, no scratches at all.
    I didnt like the feel that the screen protectors gave the phone, nor the look.
    You should be fine, as long as you are careful, I dont see any reason that your phone should get scratched.

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Tricks? I never used any tricks- wiped the screen with a microfibre cloth, aligned the protector and stuck it on. No oil slicks, no bubbles, and definitely no specks of dust. And this is with a cheap no-name Chinese protector.

If your screen+protector looks like a couch or cabinet with a plastic cover on top, you did something massively wrong.

Either 1) Your expensive brand name protector is pointlessly difficult to use (I hear some of them need to be stuck on wet? wtf?) or 2) Ask someone else to do it for you. I've never taken more than 2 minutes to get one on perfectly without bubbles and/or dust. Maybe you just don't have the hand coordination needed?

My 3GS, which I chanced and didn't use a protector with, has a deep scratch down the middle which made that area quite... 'colorful'. Meanwhile, my 2G with a protector looks good as new.

5. detoxguy thread starter macrumors member

Never said it looked like a couch with plastic cover, it reminded me of it because it felt awful. I bought a beautiful glass and steel phone to put cheap plastic films on it? lame. I had a 3GS for a year without a screen protector and no scratches at all. I'm glad you're good at at installing screen protectors congrats.

6. meistervu macrumors 65816

I didn't use a screen protector on my 3G and got no scratch after 2 years. I have always take good care of it: never keep the phone in the same pocket as anything hard: keys, diamond drill bit, etc.

I treated my iP4 the same, yet for some reason I got a small scratch. It's hard to see, but it's there, and it bug me quite a bit when I first noticed it. I am not sure what happened.

Any way, I would still rather have a few small scratches over the life of the phone than putting up with a screen protectors. I used them in my Palm days, and I still have a few Palms with perfect screens. What good are they now? this phone is such a pleasure to use without a protector.

7. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've always used screen protectors and never once thought that it makes the expensive phone look cheap (people still know that it's an i4 so very few will care about the look of the protector). At the end of the day I'm thinking about resale value and regardless of how little a difference it may make, I want to be able to tell a buyer that it has no scratches so they can have a like new phone.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I tried a few different screen protectors when I first got my iPhone 4. Now I only use the Pixelskin HD and a pouch combo. I'm good without the screen protector. I would love to have the PS Anti-Glare, but it takes away from the screen so I will pass.

9. arcturuz macrumors regular

your plastics are cheap plastics that's why

go invest $30 in some better quality screen protectors.

10. Golfwolf macrumors member

Golfwolf

I am not a fan of screen protectors, my screen is scratch free, I only use a Marware MicroShell to protect the back. I am very careful with my iPhone which helps to prevent scratching.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have cheap eBay protectors on my phone and it looks perfect. No peeling when putting on my case either. Just have to be realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyy careful when putting them on. Or you can go to one of the kiosks in the mall and have them do it for you

12. detoxguy thread starter macrumors member

just because some companies way overcharge for a screen protector doesn't change the fact that it is a piece of plastic you are putting on it. Even the best screen protectors are just a plastic film and will always feel like it. I've tried everything from cheap chinese to power support to zagg (worst crap ever). I have just found that some caution and a decent pouch do the job of keeping it scratch free and allows me to use the phone without cheapening it

13. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Don't have an iPhone, but I will be using a screen protector on my Touch, no pouch, but a case. Unless you consider a case a pouch.

14. gnychis macrumors 6502

i'd still always be afraid of a scratch... mainly for resale value

15. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Same here.

16. ChicagoPhil macrumors newbie

Someone else out there like me...

I did not use a screen protector on my 3G, and after 2-years the screen seems to be scratch free... one stupid fumble of the naked phone put a few marks into the "chrome" bezel though.

I kept it in a sleeve that came with an older ipod. It wasn't an extremely tight fit, but I liked the ease of access. I had ordered a Suede Jacket from Waterfield Designs, but found it a bit too tight for my needs.

I just upgraded to the iPhone 4 last week, and considered a screen protector this time as the screen has no bezel trim at all. My friend swears by the SGP / Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic, but I haven't ordered one yet. I really just want to use the phone as-is.

I had been keeping the 4 in the same ipod sleeve, which was even more roomy with the thinner/narrower IP4... but then I remembered I had the Suede Jacket lying around somewhere, and the fit on the IP4 is pretty good.

One of these days I'll order a leather slip from AB Sutton.

17. Neoaucourant macrumors member

Like others have said I use a screen protector in avoidance of scratches to the screen which may hinder resale value. On my 3GS I used Belkin screen protectors which I bought at Target and it worked great. Although with my iPhone 4 I have not yet found a screen protector to my liking. I have used cheapy eBay protectors, Wrapsol, & ZAGG. All of them have failed and after thorough browsing of the MB I decided to order a set of the PS Anti-Glare. Hopefully I won't be let down by PS. By the way I also use the Sena UltraSlim and Beyza Holster.

18. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I also use cheap screen protectors bought off of eBay, I got 6 front and back protectors for something like two or three dollars posted. I have had zero issues with it since install on day one, it is barely even noticeable that there even are any screen protectors installed so unless you just don't know how to put one on properly then I don't get why so many people complain about them .

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Had a change of heart and I think I'm going to head to the Apple store after work today and pick up the PS Anti-Glare. I had it on my 3GS and loved it. Just been leary about the display with the i4, but the fingerprints bother me so I'll deal with the grainy look.

20. ChicagoPhil macrumors newbie

I could not use a protector that would noticeably impact retina display - one of the primary reasons I upgraded.

Have you considered the SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic?

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Picked up the PS Anti-Glare after work today and love it :D

22. ChicagoPhil macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How clear is the screen? Any downside? The amazon reviews seem mixed.

23. jLp-PR macrumors regular

Monoprice Ultra Transparent screen shields cost less than $1 a pop.

Love them.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

You can spend more on screen protectors than you might ever lose when reselling a phone with a scratched screen. By the same token, screen protectors could be better than looking at a gouge in the actual screen that won't go away.

25. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I put a screen protector on my 3GS within hours of owning it, and it's absolutely flawless...looks like there's nothing there. It came with my iPhone as a bonus when I bought it, so I've spent zilch on screen protectors :p

Like most people, I'm fanatic about bubbles or imperfections that may rise when installing a screen protector (had this problem with my iPod touch)...though the credit card trick worked perfectly with my 3GS.