That's it - I've had enough of upgrading !!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lodesman, Oct 29, 2014.

  1. Lodesman macrumors regular


    Feb 4, 2014
    Folkestone, Kent, UK
    After a ridiculous amount of time spent enduring the grief, hassle and aggravation of IOS8 and Yosemite since their releases, still I have a Mac and iPhone/iPad full of bugs, I have decided to only update these two systems to hopefully get rid of the endless bugs.

    When the time comes (next year?) for IOS9/Yosemite + they can whistle for it.

    Life to too short to spend hours, and it has been hours, trying to get the ("it just works") working half as well as it did before the upgrades.

    I know this is a bit of a rant but really............. equipment costing this much should perform correctly and not require the services of a techie with Bandaid holding his spectacles together to get it working.

    I'm a user, for goodness sake, I don't want to have to delve into the depths of the menu system to make something work that worked last week before the upgrades.

    For me, as a user of only a year, having moved from Windows expecting a working experience easier than before, I find that after every update I have to spend hours in front of the (very attractive) screen.

    So far, my experience of Apple and OS X/IOS over this last year sucks !!!
  2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040


    Mar 6, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, actually you posted this in a help oriented forum section. If you are asking for help, please proceed so assistance can be considered.

    If you are just frustrated and want to sound-off I understand, but please consider posting in the Community Discussion forum areas.
  3. rmackner macrumors member

    Oct 28, 2014
    Why would you spend $2k+ on something and not want to learn the ins and outs of the system yourself. You will always be stuck under apples thumb if you just don't attempt to gain a little knowledge about that huge investment you just made into a computer.
  4. Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular


    Feb 4, 2014
    Folkestone, Kent, UK
    My apologies for posting in the wrong section, there are so many of them it is a little difficult selecting the correct one to post to.

    I'll move over and vent my spleen there regarding this expensive pile of junk that I now have little use for.

    What a disappointment !!

    Apologies again if I have ruffled anyone's feathers.
  5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

    Aug 28, 2009
    You know you can go back to Mavericks don't you.

    Also never install anything when it just comes out.
  6. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC

    Either be a nerd like us and upgrade early and enjoy the trials and tribulations of that, or be the kind of person you claim to want to be and never upgrade to anything until an x.2 version is out.

    They're both viable paths. But you need to pick one and not try to combine the two.
  7. Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular


    Feb 4, 2014
    Folkestone, Kent, UK
    Thanks for that but I'll stick with what I've got. I cannot face any more hassle.

    At last I have got email, Office and Internet working. That'll do for the present. I'm not interested in any of the rest of the stuff. I've managed to shut off continuity as it is of no use to me. My photos are safely in nested folders out of the clutches of iPhoto.

    Head down now and wait for updates to re-enable Time Machine and sort out the bugs.

    I accept that I should not update until things are sorted out but curiosity led me on. It won't happen again for sure.
  8. fisherking macrumors 603


    Jul 16, 2010
    ny somewhere
    good to hear! then you won't have to rant here again (altho you can always come back if you need help with something...) ;)
  9. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

    Nov 4, 2012
    I've always been the type to take the risk and upgrade immediately, but unfortunately those days are behind me. I've decided to just wait until 10.10.1 comes out. Anyone know how long the .1 release usually takes? I feel like it should be quicker than usual since some of these problems are quite egregious such as the frame drop in animations
  10. dhlizard macrumors G4


    Mar 16, 2009
    The Jailbreak Community
    I'll take them off your hands so you won't have any more "hassles"
  11. remmy macrumors 6502a

    Jul 1, 2007
    I kind of agree, there is nothing in Yosemite that is of any interest for me.
    I like the system I have on my 2011 Macbook Air.

    I used to use an iphone 4 but the last update was not a good one.

    For those who are for it, thats cool but I doubt I will upgrade unless I need to.
  12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3


    Aug 19, 2008
    The Anthropocene
    Still running 10.8.5 and I'm perfectly content.

    I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a gold master release of a new OS to be able to install without issues, but that is an ideal that is almost never lived up to.
  13. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Words well worth heeding, words well worth heeding.

    As I am more than happy to allow whatever company devises the product or develops the technology to suffer from the birth pans or teething problems, I always prefer to wait until any glitches are, identified, ironed out, and dealt with fully before I risk a purchase.

    In practice, that means that I never buy a new model of computer for at least six months after it has been launched upon the world, and likewise, I will not upgrade an operating system until the howls of horror (at unsuspected horrors and errors) have long died down……usually a matter of a couple of months…..

    Very good and well argued post, which makes a very useful distinction, one worth noting.

    Agree entirely with you.
  14. Huntn macrumors P6


    May 5, 2008
    The Misty Mountains
    I'm holding off on Yosemite until the first major update comes out, however I took the plunge with iOS8 on my ipad3 and wife's iPad2 and no real issues other that some infrequent temporary freezes in Safari when working on forum messages here.
  15. D.T. macrumors G3


    Sep 15, 2011
    Vilano Beach, FL
    I held off on 10.10 too (currently on a nicely running 10.9.5), probably until we see a .1 revision because my machine is pretty “mission critical”, so I always 1) plan on confirming solid operation as much as possible before an install, and 2) do it when I know I can afford a good 2 days of downtime if I have to recover from a catastrophic failure.

    I have a 3rd factor too: I need to run Parallels, so I’m finally at a point where I need to upgrade that as well, so I have a second major OS related consideration.
  16. Plutonius macrumors 604


    Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire, USA
    Wait until an updated operating system hits .3 and you usually have very few issues (i.e. 10.10.3).

Share This Page