The 11.6 MBA is really a netbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by docprego, Oct 21, 2010.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Jobs was adamant that netbooks do nothing well. Isn't the 11.6 MBA a sly way of competing in that market space without ever having officially released a netbook? The only significant upgrades I see over many current netbooks are the unibody construction and the Core 2 Duo processor. But even that is questionable now that netbooks are shipping with the Atom D525 dual core processor.

I'm not flaming the computer, I think it's brilliant (actually considering purchasing an 11.6 instead of a netbook). But just wondering.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You also neglected to recognize that the 11.6" Air has a full sized keyboard and netbooks don't. That makes a huge difference not having to type on a cramped keyboard. You also neglected to recognize that the Air has high contrast screen that doesn't wash out like those netbooks and the Flash memory storage. You can call it what you want but the Air is no netbook, period.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The Core 2 processors are still a vast (VAST) improvement over Atom.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Ever since Laptops did a reverse in size increase ... went from getting bigger to 17" then an about face going back down to 14 - 13 - 8.9 - back to 10.1

I have always considered the MBP 13 the best netbook out there

now the 11.6 Air could be the sweet spot for NetBooks

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Agreed, I have a 1.6Ghz Atom netbook and it does everything at a snails pace. It can barely run word processing software without breaking a sweat. Although it does run cool though.

The newer dual core atoms may be improved but they have nothing on a C2D. Or even a Core Duo. As my 1st gen macbook 2.0Ghz CD is so much faster than the 1.6 Ghz atom.

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

The netbook comparison or debate is moot.

'Netbooks' are windows based. Macs are OSX - no comparison

The MBA is fully fledged. You're either an  or a pee cee user primarily.

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Not really. I am typing this reply on an Acer One. Atom 1.66 (512k cache), 1gb memory (2 max), who knows integrated graphics and 160g drive. The display is 1280 or 1024 x 600

Netbooks have real compromises, usually in screen height. While this the "One's" keyboard is ok, its not great.

So no, the MBA is an ultra portable.

Now then, I paid $200 for this Acer One NEW IN BOX. I think the MBA is vastly over priced, but I will buy one anyway. I am aiming for size, so the 11 with 4g and base 64g drive should be fine

8. acastic macrumors regular

I love how people see 11.6 inch screen and automatically assume netbook. Fail. If you want a slow plastic pile of crap for $300 then by all means, go purchase any of the 5,000 various netbook models.

9. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

The MBP is a great netbook too.
    It also has a nice form and now battery sticking out the back like a dirty diaper.

10. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Depends on your definition of netbook. As far as my definition, the MBA fits the category of netbook until you reach the word "inexpensive".

Then again, I'll just call it a sub-notebook and call it a day. Or a laptop. Or overpriced. :D

11. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

My sister had a netbook

Cramped keyboard
    Horrible screen
    clunky plastic
    You couldn't even change the wallpaper (WTF)
    Terrible battery life
    $400 price tag

The new Air is NOTHING like a netbook

12. CommanderData macrumors regular

Netbook? I don't think so:

1) Full size keyboard
    2) Bigger screen (11.6" vs 9 or 10 on netbooks)
    3) Higher resolution screen (1366x768 instead of 1024x600 or 1280x768 if you were lucky)
    4) Core2Duo CPU, faster, more cache, all around more powerful CPU than an Atom chip found in other netbooks (dual core or not)
    5) Better GPU, no Intel integrated graphics crap here
    6) 2GB-4GB of RAM (most netbooks have only 1GB, very few with 2GB, none with 4GB that I have seen)
    7) No windows XP home or Win 7 home/starter

Anyone else care to add to this? :D

13. CaptainJeff macrumors member

netbook != Windows

What? Almost all models of Netbooks ship with either Windows XP or some variation of Linux. The Linux models are cheaper and, for some models, have sold much better than the Windows versions. I have an EEEpc running a mobile variant of Ubuntu and it runs great.

14. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

The 11.6 MBA has zero netbook parts. OP you're a bit daft to even put it in the same sentence as netbook.

15. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Full size trackpad.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

LOL. Don't forget about Hackintoshed netbooks.

17. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Really? When I had mine it came with Ubuntu....

18. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I LOL'd at this! :D

19. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

They are ugly as *******

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I got news for you sparkie, there are plenty of netbooks that run linux, heck ubuntu even offers a netbook remix of its OS. I even have a dell mini running OSX, so does that mean my dell mini 10v is no longer a netbook because its running OSX? :rolleyes:

The MBA is closer to a netbook then to a laptop.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I agree with your first statement, but not with your second.

The MBA has a laptop processor, a laptop GPU, a laptop screen, a laptop keyboard, a laptop trackpad. The only way in which it's similar to a netbook is screen size.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinion but apple has hamstrung the computer with 2gb of ram (standard) and slow processors so while its faster then an atom processor its a slow machine. For me a netbook is a tiny computer that allows basic computing, not much else. That definition fits the MBA. Just my opinion.

23. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

The MBA does more than basic computing. Lets get that right for a start.

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I think the definition of a netbook, more generally, is of a tiny, inexpensive computer that uses sub-notebook parts to achieve a sub-notebook price. As a consequence, they also provide a sub-notebook experience. I don't expect the MBA to be a speed demon, but I have a feeling that for 90% of what most people do on their laptops, it will be quite quick. Cuz let's face it, the GPU and HD are more of a bottleneck for most usage patterns these days than the CPU.

25. Carouser macrumors 65816

Wait, if we decide that it's a netbook and not a laptop, or notebook, or ultralight, what will it do differently? Oh, right, it makes no difference at all.