the 13 in macbook appreciation thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1rottenapple, Mar 6, 2010.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

anyway, I checked out the CPU temperature of my pro using istat nano and my computer has been up for 8 days and 8 hours!!!! Amazing! Still snappy as always ;

Anyway, just post has no purpose other than say I love my pro.

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I reboot twice a month.

That's the beauty of OSX compared to Windows.

Of course, I reboot my Debian box once a year... :D

3. vant macrumors 65816

When I first bought my mac, I always shut it down every time I was finished using it because I was so used to my Windows laptop. Now I'm noticing that I'm keeping it up for days at a time. I still restart it/shut down every few days, but thats out of sheer habit.

4. agr5 macrumors member

I'm looking forwarding to purchasing a new 13" MBP soon... kinda waiting for the refresh though.:cool:

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My Blackbook gets restarted about once a week. If I don't some of my background apps start using lots of ram and it gets a bit sluggish. My AL iMac goes about a month before restarts.

6. solarein macrumors regular

Sounds like you haven't used Windows since Windows 98. These days people just put Windows machines into standby, rarely shutting down or rebooting.

7. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I really want a 13" MBP,there great systems and while I'm sitting here on my new MB my dad's on his base line 13" MBP.

8. iherzi macrumors newbie

Just bought my first apple computer (mbp entry level with 4gb of ram) ever! I was a skeptic but it really is amazing. Loving it so far (although I am a bit confused). :p

9. Puqq macrumors regular

Agreed. I have to restart my W7 machine every one or two months to install updates... It is NOT win 98 times anymore. XP, Vista and W7 run nicely without restarts. Unless, of course, you just screw up your system...

And as for MBP 13, I do not appreciate it anymmore :) oh come on, 3yr old graphics processor and HDD capacity of my 3.5 yr old cheapest HP. To conclude, I am waiting for an update and getting a MBP on the very first occasion :)

10. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Just remember: Command + Space, and 4 finger swipe down, are your 2 new best friends.

11. Snoball macrumors newbie

Love my 13" MBP. Keep on looking for reasons to run my Win 7 partition, but lately I can't find any. My Mac is all I need! :)

12. iWantMac macrumors newbie

Thank you! I did not know about these until now :)

13. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I last used windows... 20 minutes ago. On my desktop.

Eventually you have to reboot because of the very frequent updates. You know that.

14. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Weird. I keep my laptop constantly updated and I still hardly ever have to restart.

15. boostmiser macrumors member

I'm waiting on a 13" i3 with matte screen. I'm going to hook it to a 24" Dell U2410 monitor which should be delivered next week. I'll also want an external hdd.
    I was on my windows workstation last night and was hit with a spyware attack. I'm so sick and tired of rebuilding my machine. Apple had better come through for me.

16. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I'd be pissed if I was waiting for a 13inch and they stuck an i3 in there. Why not i5?

17. solarein macrumors regular

Yes, eventually, every 1-2 months based on my experience. I also have to reboot my Linux server every once in a while to apply kernel updates, it also happens very infrequently. You said you reboot your OS X twice a month. So...um...compared to Windows and Linux, you have to reboot OS X more often? Is that what you were trying to say?

18. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

i love my little base model mbp i upgraded it to 500gb and 80gb ssd and it does me well, will upgrade to 8gb ram pretty soon :) i chose 13 cause of the portability.

19. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

Don't make it sound like an army personally went out to attack you. Most spyware attacks are down to the user not being clued up on the websites they are visiting or the files they are opening.

20. boostmiser macrumors member

I5 works if it's offered, but I'm not sure it would be worth the premium in my situation...we'll see.
    I'm guessing Apple will be offering the i3 in the 13", i5 in the 15" and 17". I think I heard the i7 is too power hungry so we may not see that. Pure speculation on my part.

21. zipa macrumors 65816

The i7 ultra-low voltage chips have a TDP of 18 W, whereas the i3's have a TDP of 35 W. So no, the i7 is anything but power hungry.

22. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I am using Office 2007, Visual Studio 2005 and 2008, MS SQL server 2005 and 2008 and .Net frameworks. So critical updates are much more frequent than a system made for browsing, gaming etc. Most of the times they require restarting.

I never have to restart my mac after installing/uninstalling new software or updates so that's a plus.

I am not trying to put Windows down. I am used to it and appreciate it for 15 years or more. But as long as windows have a "registry", systems where software is tested, will always need to be rebooted more often when applying changes.

23. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Extremely unlikely. The i3 is a budget part... the kind that goes into $500 Inspirons and such. You won't see that in any MBP. MAYBE the Macbook (though historically MBs have had the same class of processors as the MBPs).

24. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

Did you take out the superdrive to put in the SSD?

25. stinkhorn macrumors newbie

stinkhorn

ok, embarrassingly, now i'm going to sound like the mac newbie i am...

what's the reason to keep yr mac desk/laptop on/asleep all the time instead of shutting down? boot times are quick compared with pc... :confused: