Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I did quick power up test it works.

Having never used a mac pro it took me 6 minutes to figure out how to use the dvd player. LOL!

It is quiet.

The picture is better then with my mac mini.

It is fast.

I dropped in a pair of ssd's made a raid0 cloned the oem hdd to it and it crashed would not boot.

It allowed me to use each ssd alone. corsair x64 types I will need to go to their forum to find out why a raid0 doe not work.

I got xbench scores of 340 vs 230 with my mac mini.

I will be busy until monday. I will try to figure why the raid0 crashed on monday.

I am running it via an intel x18m 80gb ssd. I have two of them I will try them in a raid0 on monday.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
one more thing this unit gives me turn on thump when booting it thumps my sub. BTW so does the mac mini.

have you had a random 'pop' sound coming out of your speakers while using it? two people on here have mentioned it. I wonder if it's a widespread problem.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
have you had a random 'pop' sound coming out of your speakers while using it? two people on here have mentioned it. I wonder if it's a widespread problem.

no i watched 2 hours of lost and 1 hour of music. the thump only happens with boot and only to the sub. Not the speakers. I have an exspensive 2.1 speaker system and I use a usb based sound card/dac. The signal path is Mac pro/ usb jack/ external dac/ analog crossover/ sub amp + speaker amp . I think the speakers do not pop because the noise is filtered by the crossover. The sub gets power up thump. Sub thump is common with a lot of audio gear.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I too went from a mini to a MP (everything in between has screens that suck). In my case it was a late 2009 mini 2.66GHz 4GB RAM WD 640GB HDD to a 2010 MP 3.2GHz quad with 12GB of OWC PC10600 RAM and the ATI HD 5870. The four WD 1TB Black drives that used to live in Mercury Elite AL-Pro boxes are now housed in the MP. One was installed in the lower bay with an OWC Multi Mount (excellent product). The formerly external drives kept their same names and worked without a hitch.

I had the MP port over all of my user data from the mini. Then I reinstalled the Apps. Vertually every app preference from the mini was on the MP waiting for its app to be installed.

Because of the above set up there really is no visual difference using the MP compared to the mini except that the MP is really, really fast. The new computer is a total delight to use. Last night my MBP 2.4GHz was playing a ripped movie located on one of the MP's drives while I was working on the MP in Aperture 3 and PS CS5 accessing another drive. I don't think the poor old mini could pull that one off.

BTW Aperture 3 still beachballs. Maybe beachballing was hard coded into A3 by Adobe operatives so it would always be way slower than Adobe's competing products:)

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I think he means that when he turns the mac pro on, his subwoofer from his soundsystem makes a loud sound.

Yes this occurs in subs if you have a 2.1 sound system or a 5.1 sound system. Simple reason is USA has 120 volts with 60hz cycles. so 60hz comes into the audio system as a bass signal thus the thump. I crossover to my speakers at 100hz. Via an analog active crossover so none of my speakers get the 60 hz signal. here is a link to my computers sound system.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=211795

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
no i watched 2 hours of lost and 1 hour of music. the thump only happens with boot and only to the sub. Not the speakers. I have an exspensive 2.1 speaker system and I use a usb based sound card/dac. The signal path is Mac pro/ usb jack/ external dac/ analog crossover/ sub amp + speaker amp . I think the speakers do not pop because the noise is filtered by the crossover. The sub gets power up thump. Sub thump is common with a lot of audio gear.

Have you tested the 3.5mm port (or its optical audio function) on your mac pro? Does it make pop sounds? The pop sounds some people are experiencing seem to come from the soundcard, so if you are using an external USB soundcard, you probably won't get that problem. I'm just asking because I am wondering if all 2010 mac pros are affected.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
no just the usb hookup to my external. I will have time on monday to test the 3.5mm to a pair of rca's to my crossover. I except the turn on thump with the sub and then no other problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.