The 2008 iPhone Apps I will pay CASH for wishlist..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss1, Oct 19, 2007.

1. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Since the debut of this phone in June of 07 there have been a lot of complaints regarding the capabilities of the phone. For the most part, many of these things are slowly being addressed by Apple to the extent that they can. (they can't really do much about AT&T's internet speed or other things that are out of their control)

With the announcement of releasing an SDK in February of 08' I can truly now say that many iPhone owners, including myself, are going to be very satisfied with their decision to purchase an iPhone.

With 3rd party developers being allowed to create apps, many of the lacking features of the iPhone are hopefully going to be full filled.

I just wanted to say that I'm really looking forward to March 08. which is probably when many good applications are going to start rolling out. And i'm actually debating with myself on wether I should get into app development myself for this very reason.

Let's just hope that Apple doesn't limit the number of useful apps released, and isn't too harsh with their approval process for apps.

We can't always get everything we want but I'm going start my 2008 iPhone Apps I will pay cash for wishlist (developers take note :p ), with the following apps (will add more later):

• Password app
    • GTD / To Do app
    • Personal Finance tracker app
    • Document editor app (excel, txt, word doc )
    • Voice recorder app
    • A Reader App! that allows users to create database files for use with the reader. (this will allow for useful references to be made like "a bar book" "a cook book" "medical books" etc )

2. alywa macrumors 6502

Epocrates

Customizable sports widget

EDGE / WiFi independent yellowpages

3. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

To Do's are being integrated into e-Mail in a rather thoughtful way. With Leopard OS X you'll have the ability to create To-Do lists in any e-mail just by highlighting a text list and converting it to a To Do list. Then, when you create or mark off To-Do's in any number of e-mails, the changes sync back to your global To Do list in iCal, both on your iPhone and your desktop, naturally.

I have been frustrated with the lack of global to-do management until now in various OS's where To Do's are generally in a separate application or part of a "roped off" function in something like Outlook where there really isn't any ability to nest active to-do lists in documents and have them link back to a global list.

The beauty of this is that Notes will be integrated into Leopard Mail, and you should have the ability to make To-Dos nested in line with notes and/or e-mails. Say for example you think of a few things on your iphone, then e-mail it to your desktop and then easily convert it to a To-Do list, or vice-versa... create a list on your desktop, convert it to a To-Do and/or Notes, and mail it to your iPhone for offline management.

4. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

boss1

Are you sure? I apologize if you have insight I'm not aware regarding how the features in Leopard work with iPhone, but I'm pretty sure that as it stands now iCal To Do's do not sync with iPhone. So while Mail Notes will sync with iPhone, the Mail To Do's only sync with iCal To Dos and the iCal To Do's dont' sync with iPhone. This is changing with 10.5?

5. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

boss1

What kind of a sports widget? like a "personal gym tracking widget" or a "are the Red Sox winning widget"?

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Correct, this is changing in 10.5. To-dos and notes are going to be available through mail, and will be linked to ical, etc, as well. Speculation is that this will allow to-dos and notes to be sync-able.

I want an ebook reader. Badly.

7. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I would pay for:

A good chat client
    A MMS client

8. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

- Versions (even stripped-down mobile versions) of Pages and Keynote. Imagine being able to edit a presentation on the go then play it from the iPhone? (Not an original idea, but still something I want)

- iChat that would work with MSN (or any really good IM client)

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

- A good IM client
    - A Slingbox Player
    - Games

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

An app that deletes all the current email in my iphone inboxes. ;)

11. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

See this response:

Currently To-Do's are manageable only in iCal on OS 10.4. However, in 10.5, you can create a To-Do in an email, nested in the body of the e-mail itself, and presumably in Notes since you will be able to store and sync notes in Mail. Once this To-Do list is created, nested inside an e-mail or a Note, it syncs these external To-Do's back with iCal's To-Do list, without having to copy the To-Do's manually or to copy the e-mail or Note into iCal. It should sync these To-Do's back to iPhone as well since the premise behind Notes in Mail is so that you can move Notes back and forth between your Macs and your iPhone.

12. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

I second that one. : )

13. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

Id pay for an application that has voice recorder. But not just for voice notes, it would also allow me to record my phone conversations then sink them with iTunes. So I could later take those recordings and use them for interviews in a podcast.

14. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

ESPN Scores widget!

except not the crappy one apple has on dashboard
    one where we can select favorite teams. (like the fox sports one on my.msn.com)

15. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

Remote Desktop and/or VNC client. I love queuing downloads while bored at work! :D

16. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I mainly want iChat and some games. However, I don't think anyone should have to pay for iChat, but if it did come down to it I probably would if I had to. I would like to see some cool games, not just basic Tetris or old school NES stuff. One of the fake gps programs that uses cell towers would be cool too.

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Give me chess program with offline and online capabilities

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I hope that, along with opening up for apps, Apple also finally allows people to change their theme, homepage icons, etc... instead of being locked into what they think we want.

On my WM phones, I like being able to make my homescreen contain whatever I want.

If I want just a clock, the current weather forecast, the pictures of a few favorite contacts, and the icons for a few top apps, then that should be up to me.

19. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

• ebook reader
    • games! solitaire, bejeweled, ANYTHING to kill time when i need something brainless to do
    • calorie counter/food tracker
    • snow conditions report widget for selected local resorts
    • tivo remote programming app
    • tv listings app
    • voice recorder app for spontaneous thoughts/notes

shoot, i'd pay up to $15 for these apps - i did it for my palm and would do it again...

20. ~Phi macrumors regular

21. earthsick macrumors regular

games, customization like with summerboard/customize apps, and the ability to use the iTunes store on EDGE...even if its just to download single songs

22. cazlar macrumors 6502

Well, looking at the OP, I see every wish app listed already available for the iPhone, with the exception of .doc/.xls editing. The "reader.app" also isn't a complete match as you can view pdfs/text/html so far, but that's not really a database. Otherwise, all the apps are out there.

I understand why someone would want to wait for the Apple-sanctioned way, but why deprive yourself of all the fun/usefulness in the meantime? Adding apps is dead simple for 1.0.2. I'll admit 1.1.1 isn't as easy, but hopefully in a few days/weeks it will be. So just do it and try out what's out there, and switch to the "official" way when it is released and the same apps will surely be converted over.

23. CBraun53 macrumors newbie

Slingplayer that works on WiFi and Edge (and don't say it won't work on edge because it worked fine on my Treo 650).

24. Twinkie macrumors regular

Nothing. Not a single app.

Here's why:

I've been a very early adopter of Palm and Windows CE / Windows Mobile devices.

And in the beginning, someone somewhere makes a little application that fills some sort of void. Maybe it's a nice travel expense app. Maybe it's something else that I'd really like, and "only" costs $10 or so.

In any case, I, and many others, spend the $10. Then someone else pops up with something marginally less useful, and wants $10 for it. And so on, and so on.

"Don't developers deserve to be compensated?" Yes, absolutely.

But when you have a large for-pay development community on a niche product (before you even say it, computers running Windows or OS X are not niche products), the company pretty much stops development. The answer to many problems is typically "Look at all the third party support we have!"

No thanks. I don't want to pay some guy $8 so I can have my MMS notification set to one of my ringtones, and another guy $10 for an app that makes my iPhone display flip in Mail when I'm reading an HTML message, and another guy $20 for an app that makes the Calendar talk to Exchange, and so on.

Games, and other obscure-but-useful apps are more than welcome, as far as my wallet is concerned. But I'm not interested in paying money for functionality that Apple should have included in the first place.

25. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Because I love 1.1.1 and I want my phone to work when 1.1.2 comes out.

Not even apple can provide all the functionality for everyone. That is impossible. That's where the iphone SDK will come into play.

OK. Fair enough for you. I on the other hand have no problem paying for useful add on tools for the iphone that make me more productive.

In Feb. we will all have a choice of which direction to take.