Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indiochano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Ugh... :p

Now, Phizz at AppleInsider (reposted here by suneohair, but he's banned...) has the theme down, just not the execution.

I'm going to teach myself how to use Photoshop so that I can have a decent-looking mockup... This could take a fair amount of time. Until then, I ask that we go back to discussing hardware; there are still some ports to be decided upon and GPUs to lock down...

That is truly hideous... NO BLACK ON THE MAC PRO PLEASE!!!!!
It would look like s hit

rylin

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2006
That is truly hideous... NO BLACK ON THE MAC PRO PLEASE!!!!!
It would look like s hit

OMG that is so racist ;(
You're not envisioning the right kind of black.

Not the shiny Dell XPS black.
Not the "black" of old Dell boxes.

Give me rugged black carbon-fiber with a thin coat of anti-reflex treatment.
A massive tower of power absorbing most of the light thrown at it.

Mmmmmmm.

Either that, or a fluffy neon green with pink tassels.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Do we get a side window and LED fans? Maybe with a fluorescent Apple logo that glows from the CCFL black light? Oh God, iHopeiHopeiHope!

"Naw, dawg, we's be need summa dat undakarrige lytin', kno wh'im sayin'?"

This whole "teaching myself Photoshop to make a decent mockup" thing isn't working out, you know? :(

I'll just draw it. I'm better at drawing, anyway.

rylin

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2006
Do we get a side window and LED fans? Maybe with a fluorescent Apple logo that glows from the CCFL black light? Oh God, iHopeiHopeiHope!

The sidewindow should definitely be there, and all the internal cables should be white so we can fully appreciate the black light!
The fluorescent logo is actually the grill for the exhaust vent, and the fan has multi-colored LEDs, effectively giving us the old colored Apple logo!

Mr. Ive, step aside -- it's time for a case redesign! :D

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
The sidewindow should definitely be there, and all the internal cables should be white so we can fully appreciate the black light!
The fluorescent logo is actually the grill for the exhaust vent, and the fan has multi-colored LEDs, effectively giving us the old colored Apple logo!

Mr. Ive, step aside -- it's time for a case redesign! :D

*whack* SIDE FANS SHOULD BE INTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(one of the things that annoys me about case design is side fans blowing out. It justs sucks air away from the CPU and GPU fans)

And this needs water cooling, just so we can have UV-reactive coolant.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Indeed!
Apologies for the hijack ;)

Not a problem.

Also, I've updated the first post with a mockup of mine. I wasn't about to draw every single hole, so the description of the design is on the second image. The image of the Griffin Amplifi is to give a general idea of the look. The sides are thicker, like that, and the cheese grater is black.

bradleykavin

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
how long after the current processors began being produced by intel were the current mac pros released? does anyone know?

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Release date: Based on the pushing back of production dates and the build time required thereafter, late spring or WWDC 2009 are good dates for release. Coincidentally, WWDC 2009 takes place exactly 518 days after the release of the Penryn Mac Pro.

I recomend reading the first post and/or using the search function in future. But I hope this answers your question. ;)

Shaved Kitty

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
U.S.A.
Not a problem.

Also, I've updated the first post with a mockup of mine. I wasn't about to draw every single hole, so the description of the design is on the second image. The image of the Griffin Amplifi is to give a general idea of the look. The sides are thicker, like that, and the cheese grater is black.

i read your posts. you are like a Meteorologist, i hope your info is accurate. coz i am planning to get a mac pro. hopefully they will have a 30 inch display as well.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Already have the 24" LED ACD and its working great with the unibody mbp.. but I want to hook this beauty up to a nehalem mac pro and use the intel x25-m SSD as the boot too!

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Not a problem.

I like your idea. I would just make the side stands (don't know how to explain it in english) more geometrical. I tried to make a quick Cinema 4D mockup:

Attachments

• MacPro-3.jpg
    MacPro-3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,851

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
still not convinced about 2 RAM risers

Basically, if it has only 2 risers, one for each CPU (with 3x2 slots on each) then we will need 6 sticks of RAM to fully utilise the 3 memory channels. Not convinced at all by this. Therefore, I suspect there will 3 risers (each with 4 slots), one for each channel.

Not convinced by any of the sketch designs. Nothing that looks believable in any way whatsoever. We will see either the same case as now, or a small variation on it I think, perhaps shifting proportions slightly to cater for the new hardware.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Basically, if it has only 2 risers, one for each CPU (with 3x2 slots on each) then we will need 6 sticks of RAM to fully utilise the 3 memory channels. Not convinced at all by this. Therefore, I suspect there will 3 risers (each with 4 slots), one for each channel.

Six slots per riser, you put the first set of three on the top first, second on the bottom first, third on the top second, fourth on the bottom second, just like now... You don't divide the matching sticks between the risers right now; you put them side by side on the SAME riser.

Not convinced by any of the sketch designs. Nothing that looks believable in any way whatsoever. We will see either the same case as now, or a small variation on it...

How is my case design either not convincing or not a slight variation?

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
hmm maybe, and are you serious?

Six slots per riser, you put the first set of three on the top first, second on the bottom first, third on the top second, fourth on the bottom second, just like now... You don't divide the matching sticks between the risers right now; you put them side by side on the SAME riser.

Erm, maybe. Currently you don't get the full benefit of the memory bandwidth until you have 4 sticks of RAM in the Mac Pro... whether that is to utilise the wider bus rather than the 2 channels I'm not sure... I'd always imagined that the adding in pairs on riser 1 uses the full 256bit of channel 1 and adding the 2nd pair into riser 2 uses channel 2. Seems logical this way round but I could be wrong.

How is my case design either not convincing or not a slight variation?

Are you talking about your rather poor pencil drawings, or the dell's with apple logos on? Either way, I don't know where to start. You are obviously not a designer. I'm not trying to offensive just making an observation. You do write well, just design isn't your thing.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Erm, maybe. Currently you don't get the full benefit of the memory bandwidth until you have 4 sticks of RAM in the Mac Pro... whether that is to utilise the wider bus rather than the 2 channels I'm not sure... I'd always imagined that the adding in pairs on riser 1 uses the full 256bit of channel 1 and adding the 2nd pair into riser 2 uses channel 2. Seems logical this way round but I could be wrong.

For the new Mac Pro and DDR3, there is nothing that says Apple could not spec out the mother board so that each riser had access to all three channels. Just because the current Mac Pro has the DDR2 channels split across the risers does not mean that cannot be different in future products. It would be nice if they color coded this time around. That would RAM installs simpler to figure out.

S-

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The current Mac Pro uses FB-DIMM's, which are a server variant of DDR2, and does require 4 channels to get the max throughput.

The next mode however, is different. It uses DDR3 (ECC = server variant) with 3 channels max, but the biggest difference is the memory controller is integrated in the CPU. This is why the memory is attached separately to each CPU in the system, hence the 1 riser/CPU.

You only need 1 stick per channel, and each processor can run on 1,2, or 3 channels. The second slot just allows a means of conveniently upgrading the existing memory without completely switching it out for larger DIMM's. :)

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Are you talking about your rather poor pencil drawings, or the dell's with apple logos on? Either way, I don't know where to start. You are obviously not a designer. I'm not trying to offensive just making an observation. You do write well, just design isn't your thing.

How would you have it look, then?

chaosbunny did a better representation than myself; I can't draw perspective to save my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.