Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
What makes you say that? Amazing how quickly everyone forgets.

In 4 years as the head coach he has taken them to 2 AFC championship games.

Tannenbaum screwed the team up with bad contracts, bad free agent signings, bad trades, and a few bad drafts. The lack of a consistent run game these past 2 seasons has also had a horrible effect on the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sanchez has regressed during this time.

I'm already considering 2013 a lost season. A year to fix up the cap issues and take advantage of the draft, maybe buy a year to find another QB and see how we look in 2014. Rex deserves to see it through, though. You just can't erase the first 2 years because he was given sh** to coach these past 2.

i have to agree.

but

he is such a sideshow and a distraction that you tend to forget all the above...

i don't know if that makes him a good coach or not ... :confused:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
good luck.

This article gives a great argument for a new joint stadium. Besides no move in Oakland for new stadium and LA not going for it, we need to keep the Raiders in norcal. The 49ers couldn't finish the job for another ring and having Oakland here, too doubles the chances for the stadium goers to see a championship team. Anyway, both teams would have new digs in a place where high ticket prices won't even make the residents blink. It's a win-win.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/49ers-Raiders-should-share-stadium-4106473.php

If this stadium houses two teams, the fiercely loyal people of the silicon valley will embrace them all the way. I don't know of any area that is so suspicious of outsiders than the San Jose region (possibly because lots of greedy, egotistical, outside high tech phony yuppies and money men come here with no intention of joining the community). But if something or somebody is perceived as born and bred as a real San Jose entity and the home team, then one couldn't ask for a better and more supportive group of fans. You would have to live here to understand but Silicon Valley in a sense could be the next Green Bay when it comes to totally loyal fans.

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
i have to agree.

but

he is such a sideshow and a distraction that you tend to forget all the above...

i don't know if that makes him a good coach or not ... :confused:

He went to 2 AFC championship games when he did most of his talking...if he had better players on his team, who would care if he had a loud mouth?

The fact is, their personnel was the distraction in here. The season was over the second they acquired Tim Tebow. They had a QB on the team with no confidence and they found one of the few QB's in the league who is worse than he was - what did they think that would do for Sanchez? The play calling on offense and the fact that Tim Tebow was acquired for basically no reason was a distraction. They had reporters using "anonymous" players to talk crap about each other - that was a distraction. But, if you watched the last 3 or 4 games, their defense (sans Revis) actually played very well - and Rex is a defensive guy.

It just seems easy to say Rex is the problem, but it's clear to me that those who think that really don't follow the Jets.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I hope to see the Packers either A) Draft a good offensive linemen or B) Draft another linebacker to help out Matthews and (hopefully) Nick Perry.

My bold predictions for this year are:

1) Miami Dolphins pick up two of the following receivers: Greg Jennings, Wes Welker, Mike Wallace...and get into the wild card round of the play offs.

2) Peyton Manning's age catches up to him and Champ Bailey continues his slump resulting in the broncos missing the playoffs.

3) The Ravens defense slouches and Joe Flaccos lack of skill results in the Ravens missing the playoffs.

My playoff teams, in no particular order:

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Bengals
3. Colts
4. Dolphins (If not, Broncos)
5. Texans
6. Steelers

NFC
1. Packers
2. 49ers
3. Falcons
4. Seahawks
5. Saints

The NFC is extremely competitive and my sixth spot is undecided...because of the following teams: Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, Lions, and (believe it or not) Rams. I believe the best team out of those is the Giants....BUT if RG3 plays in all 16 games the Redskins will make it. The Lions have the potential...they just have to get another WR (Whicher the Dolphins do not take perhaps)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
He went to 2 AFC championship games when he did most of his talking...if he had better players on his team, who would care if he had a loud mouth?

The fact is, their personnel was the distraction in here. The season was over the second they acquired Tim Tebow. They had a QB on the team with no confidence and they found one of the few QB's in the league who is worse than he was - what did they think that would do for Sanchez? The play calling on offense and the fact that Tim Tebow was acquired for basically no reason was a distraction. They had reporters using "anonymous" players to talk crap about each other - that was a distraction. But, if you watched the last 3 or 4 games, their defense (sans Revis) actually played very well - and Rex is a defensive guy.

It just seems easy to say Rex is the problem, but it's clear to me that those who think that really don't follow the Jets.

he he he. cos he does most of the talking. he is full of ****. and he keeps spewing it...

i don't follow the jets but i know about his crap. cos he is a media whore. the tebow mess was fuel to his fire.

he got ya to the playoffs well done.

he is "Sideshow Rex".

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
he he he. cos he does most of the talking. he is full of ****. and he keeps spewing it...

i don't follow the jets but i know about his crap. cos he is a media whore. the tebow mess was fuel to his fire.

he got ya to the playoffs well done.

he is "Sideshow Rex".

Sorry, but I just don't agree.

Is he a media whore, or is it because he coaches in New York? The New York media made a huge deal about his tattoo. While he was on vacation. That his fault also?

I guarantee that Rex would have given his left arm to send Tebow back where he came from. Do you really think he revelled in the mess that all created? It's a fine line between love and hate and the line changes when you're not winning.

If SF didn't make the playoffs would Harbough still be known as "intense" or would he be known as an overly dramatic cry baby?

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I hope to see the Packers either A) Draft a good offensive linemen or B) Draft another linebacker to help out Matthews and (hopefully) Nick Perry.

1) Miami Dolphins pick up two of the following receivers: Greg Jennings, Wes Welker, Mike Wallace...and get into the wild card round of the play offs.

2) Peyton Manning's age catches up to him and Champ Bailey continues his slump resulting in the broncos missing the playoffs.

3) The Ravens defense slouches and Joe Flaccos lack of skill results in the Ravens missing the playoffs.

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Bengals
3. Colts
5. Texans
6. Steelers

NFC
1. Packers
2. 49ers
3. Falcons
4. Seahawks
5. Saints

The NFC is extremely competitive and my sixth spot is undecided...because of the following teams: Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, Lions, and (believe it or not) Rams. I believe the best team out of those is the Giants....BUT if RG3 plays in all 16 games the Redskins will make it. The Lions have the potential...they just have to get another WR (Whicher the Dolphins do not take perhaps)

That's pretty much what I think, too. It will be sad to see Manning go down due to age but we all saw it with Marino and Montana and even Favre (though he fought it off better than anybody). Manning is 36 now and while he may retain bits and pieces of what he once had, it's pretty much going to be his last season.

RG3 can be great, yes, if he doesn't get too brave and get hurt.

Being a Niners fan, I am well aware of the Rams, who besides the Seahawks, completely have our number from teams in the NFC.

We will have to see about the Lions though.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Bengals
3. Colts
5. Texans
6. Steelers

NFC
1. Packers
2. 49ers
3. Falcons
4. Seahawks
5. Saints

I agree, and also watch out for those seahawks, the NFC west should be VERY interesting next year

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Sorry, but I just don't agree.

If SF didn't make the playoffs would Harbough still be known as "intense" or would he be known as an overly dramatic cry baby?

fair enough but...

he is a media whore. period.

and, yeah, Harbaugh was already known for being both intense and a bit of a crybaby. you didn't pay much attention last season.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
fair enough but...

he is a media whore. period.

and, yeah, Harbaugh was already known for being both intense and a bit of a crybaby. you didn't pay much attention last season.

You missed my point. Completely.

He's a loudmouth. Always has been. However, if he hasn't changed, than how is he a worse coach now than he was the first 2 years when he made the AFC Championship game? All of a sudden he's the problem?

The problem is the players. Tannenbaum did an awful job, not only with bad contracts but with bringing bad players in. Tebow was just the last straw. Add in a season where they lost their 2 best players to injury, 2 awful QB's, and no run game - and you blame Rex?

My point with Harbaugh was that nobody is calling him a distraction because the team is winning. If the team goes 6-10 next year, is it ok to call him a distraction and blame him for losses because every minute on the sideline he looks like he's going to go on a murderous rampage?

I'll also add that even though I'm a Jets fan, I can look at the situation objectively. I want my team to do well. I don't want them to be a joke. However, what happened last year was not the fault of the coach. It just wasn't. Have you looked at the roster of that team? Harbaugh (either one), Belichick, Coughlin- pick a coach. Do you believe any of them could have make that team, with that personnel into a winner?You can call it a media whore - I call it watching too much sh** about Tebow and the Jets on ESPN. Especially in a market where the other head coach is kind of a grump. :D

I also want to say that I get why people are annoyed by him. But there's a difference between not liking the guy and not giving the guy credit. If I projected my personal feelings about Belichick onto his coaching abilities, I would be in here every day ranting about what a horrible coach he was. And how it's his fault they haven't won a SB in like 15 years. Obviously that wouldn't make sense either. ;)

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
You missed my point. Completely.

He's a loudmouth. Always has been. However, if he hasn't changed, than how is he a worse coach now than he was the first 2 years when he made the AFC Championship game? All of a sudden he's the problem?

The problem is the players. Tannenbaum did an awful job, not only with bad contracts but with bringing bad players in. Tebow was just the last straw. Add in a season where they lost their 2 best players to injury, 2 awful QB's, and no run game - and you blame Rex?

My point with Harbaugh was that nobody is calling him a distraction because the team is winning. If the team goes 6-10 next year, is it ok to call him a distraction and blame him for losses because every minute on the sideline he looks like he's going to go on a murderous rampage?

I'll also add that even though I'm a Jets fan, I can look at the situation objectively. I want my team to do well. I don't want them to be a joke. However, what happened last year was not the fault of the coach. It just wasn't. Have you looked at the roster of that team? Harbaugh (either one), Belichick, Coughlin- pick a coach. Do you believe any of them could have make that team, with that personnel into a winner?You can call it a media whore - I call it watching too much sh** about Tebow and the Jets on ESPN. Especially in a market where the other head coach is kind of a grump. :D

I also want to say that I get why people are annoyed by him. But there's a difference between not liking the guy and not giving the guy credit. If I projected my personal feelings about Belichick onto his coaching abilities, I would be in here every day ranting about what a horrible coach he was. And how it's his fault they haven't won a SB in like 15 years. Obviously that wouldn't make sense either. ;)

i didn't miss it as much as you didn't make it that well.

jesus. go root for the jets and their mediocre coach.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It looks like my Titans will stink again next year. :(

We're barely a week past the Superbowl and I'm tired of the Romo talk in DFW already. It's going to be a long offseason with the Dallas sports media.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It looks like my Titans will stink again next year. :(

We're barely a week past the Superbowl and I'm tired of the Romo talk in DFW already. It's going to be a long offseason with the Dallas sports media.

Plenty of room on the Broncos/Peyton Manning bandwagon.;)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I agree, and also watch out for those seahawks, the NFC west should be VERY interesting next year

...and it wasn't interesting this past year??:p

What a headache it was and while it was like an entire postseason just getting through that, my season was topped off with our first Super Bowl loss in a game most thought would be ours. I had my suspicions about a green QB in only his 10th game or so, but at 28-6 I knew there was going to be no way to win, or even get close as I had thought at that point.

The only thing I think anyone here could compare it to recently was GB going 15-1 and then flopping or the Patriots going through a perfect 16-0 season until Super Bowl. While the Packers and Patriots were favored all the way, the slight favor for 49ers coming into Super Bowl may have made too many rest a little too easy.

If we make it that far again, we won't take anything for granted. Even though most years show that a team with a solid defense wins championships, I don't know how my team was prepared or not prepared. We got some yards later on, but too little too late. At best we could say Kap threw for more than Flacco, but they got us in red zone and that's where D stepped in.

Anyway, it will be a long, long year for the 49ers.

MDDUCKMAN

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Eldersburg, MD

I realize its just your opinion, but Joe Flacco has a lack of skill??? Couldn't disagree more with that statement. Joe Flacco has the most wins of any QB since entering the league in 2008, has been to the playoffs 5 straight years, helped the Ravens win the Super Bowl this year and was named Super Bowl MVP. He, along with Joe Montana and Kurt Warner, holds the record for most TD's in a post season without an interception. He has the most road playoff wins of any QB in NFL history. He gets very little respect because he doesn't put up big Fantasy Football numbers (although he nearly threw for 4,000 yards this year). Sure the Ravens could possibly miss the playoffs after 5 straight years. But to say that it will partially be because of "Joe Flacco's lack of skill" is in my mind ludicrous.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I realize its just your opinion, but Joe Flacco has a lack of skill??? Couldn't disagree more with that statement. Joe Flacco has the most wins of any QB since entering the league in 2008, has been to the playoffs 5 straight years, helped the Ravens win the Super Bowl this year and was named Super Bowl MVP. He, along with Joe Montana and Kurt Warner, holds the record for most TD's in a post season without an interception. He has the most road playoff wins of any QB in NFL history. He gets very little respect because he doesn't put up big Fantasy Football numbers (although he nearly threw for 4,000 yards this year). Sure the Ravens could possibly miss the playoffs after 5 straight years. But to say that it will partially be because of "Joe Flacco's lack of skill" is in my mind ludicrous.

Agreed. Flacco threw 11 TDs and 0 INTs in the playoffs and beat the Broncos & Patriots on the road in the playoffs. He is a very good QB.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota

The Ravens wins are more so from the D than the offense. You cannot deny that the Ravens got lucky more than one occasion in the playoffs which resulted in a win.

MDDUCKMAN

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Eldersburg, MD
The Ravens wins are more so from the D than the offense. You cannot deny that the Ravens got lucky more than one occasion in the playoffs which resulted in a win.

That is a common misperception of those who don't follow the team week in and week out. For years their defense carried them but this year you saw a shift to the offense, especially in the playoffs. At one point earlier this season the Ravens vaunted D was ranked 27th in the league. It's a new day in Baltimore...and yes there were some plays that you have to wonder what the opposing defense was thinking (talking to you, the Safety of the Broncos)...but you don't go 11-0 TD/Int ratio based on luck...

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
you don't go 11-0 TD/Int ratio based on luck...

Actually, you do. Flaccos stats are insignificant (88 passer rating, 22 TDS to 10 INTs, 15th in total pass yards) The only real wins the Ravens got that were statement wins this season were against Oakland and Cincinatti (After previously losing to them early on).

The Ravens had a relatively easy schedule this season, and ending it 10-6 should be viewed as poor.

The 2013 season for the Ravens will end AT BEST 10-6. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Matthew Stafford will all out play Flaccos next year when they face the Ravens. The Ravens also do not have the skill to beat the Steelers twice or the Bengals add in a game against a young Miami team and the Ravens will be road kill in 2013.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Actually, you do. Flaccos stats are insignificant (88 passer rating, 22 TDS to 10 INTs, 15th in total pass yards) The only real wins the Ravens got that were statement wins this season were against Oakland and Cincinatti (After previously losing to them early on).

The 4 wins they got in the post season were statement wins, wouldn't you say?

They have good receivers, a top tier running back, a good QB, and a decent defense. They beat Tom Brady twice last year and Peyton Manning at home. They may not be a lock for the Superbowl, but they deserve a little credit.

They had a slide at the end of the year, which could be in part blamed on play calling. I don't think they used Ray Rice as much as they should have in that last third of the season. A good running game makes any QB better - and if Ray Rice stays healthy, they'll still be a favorite to make the playoffs.

MDDUCKMAN

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Eldersburg, MD

The Ravens had a relatively easy schedule this season, and ending it 10-6 should be viewed as poor.

The 2013 season for the Ravens will end AT BEST 10-6. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Matthew Stafford will all out play Flaccos next year when they face the Ravens. The Ravens also do not have the skill to beat the Steelers twice or the Bengals add in a game against a young Miami team and the Ravens will be road kill in 2013.

If winning the Super Bowl is "poor", then that's fine with me!!

Regular season means nothing...make the playoffs, and then go from there. I agree their schedule will be tough but you never know which teams year to year will be good and which will be bad...that's why they play the game on the field, and not on paper (cliche but true). I am happy with out poor skilled QB!!!!

----------

Oh and how many years ago has it been whenTom Brady outplayed the lucky, unskilled Joe Flacco?? The last 3 games our crappy QB has absolutely outplayed Hall of Famer Tom Brady...but keep on hating!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.