Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think Liverpool could do very well this coming season - Klopp has addressed some of the obvious defensive deficiencies in the team, and he has always had a strong force in attack.

In fact, Manchester United could struggle to make fourth.

However, that will be moot if they do well in the CL, but everything will rest on their CL performance; nevertheless, I could see Mourinho imploding before that.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Says the Liverpool fan who are still going on about their team from the 80's! :p

Ha!

I'll be the first to admit my interest in Liverpool post-dates their 1980s success. I first started watching them seriously in the 2005-2006 season, so I am very much the latecomer (and an American to boot). Apart from one league cup they have won nothing since the 2005 Champions League. If my choice of club to support was based purely on winning and a revolving door of the flashiest players I'd be supporting Real Madrid, or perhaps Man City, Barca, PSG...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ha!

I'll be the first to admit my interest in Liverpool post-dates their 1980s success. I first started watching them seriously in the 2005-2006 season, so I am very much the latecomer (and an American to boot). Apart from one league cup they have won nothing since the 2005 Champions League. If my choice of club to support was based purely on winning and a revolving door of the flashiest players I'd be supporting Real Madrid, or perhaps Man City, Barca, PSG...
I'll give you that. I grew up with a lot of Liverpool supporters who had never been to Liverpool. Glory hunters we would call them. Something as a West Ham fan I've never been accused of!

I think this year you have as good a chance of any to topple Man City from their throne. I still think they are likely to retain their crown though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My list would not be dissimilar to that of @Apple fanboy: At this stage, I would hazard a prediction, (a most inexact science, it must be said) - or offer a thought - that Manchester City will win, though not by 19 points; in any case, this year, the pressure will be on them to perform well - very well - in the CL. I'm not sure that another Premiership victory alone will suffice.

Liverpool for second, yes; I think Klopp will seriously challenge for the title this coming year, and good luck to him - I like him, and like the direction he has taken Liverpool in.

To my mind, unless injury and/or exhaustion (along with the risk from possible poaching) have an impact, Spurs will also make a serious challenge. This will be the last year that this team will be able to do so while donning the white shirt of White Hart Lane (Mark II); after that, some will be sold or seek to move on, or be poached - this team must be seen to try to deliver on their promise.

Chelsea and Arsenal are the two unknowns, as both have new managers, though Chelsea have been used to an unsettled managerial regime for quite some time.

I expect Arsenal to have to make a serious challenge for at least fourth position (perhaps third) with a new manager, some fresh signings that have addressed some well known defensive deficiencies, and the fact that they have missed out being in the top four for the past two years.

Some of the players - who are being drilled tactically in a way that was absent for a while (and yes, I still revere the memory of Mr Wenger, - but he should have quit in 2016, when they came second, or 2017, when they won the FA Cup - as he had become quite unable to demonstrate flexibility or address defensive frailties, or that notorious brittleness) will wish to demonstrate that they have a future at the club. Others have already been off-loaded. They might end up fifth, or sixth, but I expect them to be able to - and to want to - compete this year. Silverware in the form of a cup would not surprise me - pride and some degree of hunger will have to be restored.

I think Manchester United will do well to make they top four, - and I don't expect them to do so - and I will be surprised if Mourinho lasts the season (though where else can he go? A history of burnt bridges across the continent will hamper his room for manoeuvre).

Chelsea have not just a new manager - with the challenges of that - but face other problems as well. It is not just that they had a managerial departure over the summer, but the manner of that departure cannot have been a positive experience: The mutually contemptuous manner of the departure of Conte, (who had won the premiership a year earlier), - following the explosive manner of the departure of Mourinho himself only a few short years earlier - along with the problems of obtaining a visit for the owner, - whose legal status is not entirely clear - and the perennial lack of cash at the level of the bottomless amounts that Chelsea had become used to in the early Abramovich years, may sap somewhat at depth of a challenge for the title that Chelsea can mount.

In other words, - as Conte kept pointing out - the players that he wanted to buy, Chelsea need and want are not being bought because Chelsea can no longer afford to do so.

However, I would expect Chelsea to challenge for a top four place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Blackadder

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'll give you that. I grew up with a lot of Liverpool supporters who had never been to Liverpool. Glory hunters we would call them. Something as a West Ham fan I've never been accused of!

I think this year you have as good a chance of any to topple Man City from their throne. I still think they are likely to retain their crown though.

I started watching Liverpool before I really delved into the context and culture of English football. It was embarrassing to discover that the team I had picked (seemingly) at random was actually a historical bully that used to win everything. I knew about Leeds, Man Utd, Celtic/Rangers, Chelsea and Arsenal as successful clubs, but that was because they were winning big trophies when I got into the sport.

Of course, my "home" club is really Columbus - and I can hardly be accused of being a glory hunter when it comes to MLS, since I am about to lose my club to Austin. If they go, I go, as far as MLS is concerned.

I think Man City have to be the favorites this season, but Liverpool could be a serious challenger if the new signings pan out and we avoid any major injury crises. Man Utd could drop if Mourinho implodes, and Chelsea/Arsenal are hard to predict.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It’s funny how Liverpool fans complain about the likes of Real, Barcelona, Man City, and PSG when historically they have been the same teams. Just not nearly as constant. Now they have made more moves than Real and Barcelona this off season, and anything short of a top 3 in the premier league and a really good run in the CL league is a failure. Should be fun to see how they handle the pressure. Not many teams can.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
United picked me, really. The first professional match I attended was a San Jose Earthquakes NASL home match in 1981, and a certain bearded fella from Belfast was playing on the right for the home club. One of the adults who took us to the match regaled us with tales of the 1968 European Cup winner, and the seed was planted. The bond was further cemented by my love of the Manchester music scene of the 70s and 80s and my interest in Bryan Robson as an individual player.

Anyway, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Liverpool will finally win the league again this season. City still look a cut above on paper, but it's awfully hard to repeat as champions and they'll inevitable get some bad breaks. Liverpool did a great job of addressing their weaknesses in goal, central defense, and midfield in the past two windows. Salah won't be as deadly as last season, but they have plenty of other attacking talents to take up the slack. Everyone else is far behind those two clubs.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The only reason I put Chelsea in front of Spurs was the WC. I think they will have a slow start.
Chelsea have a new manager but are used to that! Arsenal will be closer to a post Ferguson Utd. I suspect it will be a difficult year for them.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
As with everything in the last several years, it's very hard to predict what is going to happen. Man City are certainly the most likely to win the league, at least on paper. Mourinho may implode, but then again he still has one of the most expensive teams in history at his disposal, so I couldn't be truly shocked if they managed to win it. If Man Utd get off to a fast start, maybe the early success will keep Mourinho's attitude in check long enough to make a campaign of it. Chelsea, despite their spending cuts, are still major contenders as ever in the Abramovich era. They are used to turmoil and turnover.

I'd be surprised if Spurs or Arsenal won the league this year, though Arsenal in particular are the least predictable. They have a good squad and a new manager - who can say what the immediate post-Wenger season will look like?

Liverpool winning the league is just something I have become accustomed to not expecting, so I'd be surprised at that too. But the squad has been strengthened and Klopp and his system are now fully bedded in, so yes, from a neutral perspective I think they have to be seen as serious challengers this time around.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The only reason I put Chelsea in front of Spurs was the WC. I think they will have a slow start.
Chelsea have a new manager but are used to that! Arsenal will be closer to a post Ferguson Utd. I suspect it will be a difficult year for them.

I would have sort of agreed with you if Mr Wenger had departed on any sort of similar conditions to those of the legendary Sir Alex: In other words, if he had left Arsenal on a high, but hollowed out, an uncomfortable and unpleasant discovery for a subsequently appointed manage to have to discover.

However, Arsenal have underperformed in spectacular form in recent years, and there are no surprises as to where the deficiencies lie, and Emery, to his eternal credit, has attempted to address them in his preseason purchases.

I expect Arsenal to exhibit a bit of a wake up attitude, - even players who were comfortable if not quite motivated under Mr Wenger - if only to try to prove that they are a top four team.

In other words, I don't expect the post Ferguson (post Wenger) shock to affect or hit Arsenal to anything like quite the same way as it did Manchester United, not least because, in recent years, Arsenal have not been anywhere as successful as Manchester United.

They've been underachieving for years.

As with everything in the last several years, it's very hard to predict what is going to happen. Man City are certainly the most likely to win the league, at least on paper. Mourinho may implode, but then again he still has one of the most expensive teams in history at his disposal, so I couldn't be truly shocked if they managed to win it. If Man Utd get off to a fast start, maybe the early success will keep Mourinho's attitude in check long enough to make a campaign of it. Chelsea, despite their spending cuts, are still major contenders as ever in the Abramovich era. They are used to turmoil and turnover.

I'd be surprised if Spurs or Arsenal won the league this year, though Arsenal in particular are the least predictable. They have a good squad and a new manager - who can say what the immediate post-Wenger season will look like?

Liverpool winning the league is just something I have become accustomed to not expecting, so I'd be surprised at that too. But the squad has been strengthened and Klopp and his system are now fully bedded in, so yes, from a neutral perspective I think they have to be seen as serious challengers this time around.

Excellent post.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Charity Shield is on: A competition between the winner of the Premiership League and the FA Cup (unless the same team has won both).

Although, technically, it marks the start of a new season, psychologically, I tend to see it in terms of a postscript to the season that finished a few weeks (or months) earlier.

For now, Manchester City lead Chelsea by a goal to nil, and seem to be utterly dominating the match and in complete control.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The Charity Shield is on: A competition between the winner of the Premiership League and the FA Cup (unless the same team has won both).

Although, technically, it marks the start of a new season, psychologically, I tend to see it in terms of a postscript to the season that finished a few weeks (or months) earlier.

For now, Manchester City lead Chelsea by a goal to nil, and seem to be utterly dominating the match and in complete control.
Totally forgot about it! Probably because it's not on my TV.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
My season of support the EPL just ended now.
I could not find the community shield match on our cable TV system and devices.
i frantically found the match on cricfree, got too much lag, spinning ball, after resetting the flash and content blockers on safari. frustrated i just unplugged my Mac mini, sports was fun, exciting now just like going xmass shopping in december, just not worth it. i even was so desperate i even asked alexis where and how can i watch on TV, she just just repeated local MLS schedule 5 times, and gave me the history of the english sport.
Fuxsoccer screwed up by promoting the match just yesterday on the ipad thing.
and NBCsports is just too painful to use.
i do say, the sport of football is pure, athletic and the most skilled on this planet.
too bad executives cannot figure out a way to distribute this even for customer who pays a lot for cable packages.
maybe some IT person might read this and think consider this is a problem, but probably not because this era of internet is too popular no matter what complaints are made.

so all my chelsea FC stuff goes into a box and i deleted my bookmarks.

i hope none here had to go through what i did this morning just to watch a sporting event.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Once upon a not too distant time, all of these matches were broadcast by the BBC, or ITV - in other words, terrestrial TV.

However, once the soon-to-be Premiership sold its soul to Mr Murdoch, - for the exclusive right to broadcast many (i not most) of their matches - that practice - of broadcasting matches deemed to be of public (but not critical) interest, was discarded in thrall to the lure and worship of mammon.

In any case, I'm not watching it on TV; I am following it online.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
So Aguero still has it. Both teams looked decent enough, even if it is sort of a friendly. Looking forward to the first league matches...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So Aguero still has it. Both teams looked decent enough, even if it is sort of a friendly. Looking forward to the first league matches...

But I think that Manchester City demonstrated that they will be the team to beat. Their victory over Chelsea - photo friendly though it was - was fairly easily achieved and their superiority was pretty evident throughout the match.

I've been reading fan predictions in today's Observer, and the fans of almost every team (with the possible ludicrous exception of Manchester United) predict that manchester City will win the Premiership again.

Now, even if they achieve that, the pressure will undoubtedly be on them to deliver in Europe (which is the one thing Manchester United - and indeed, Liverpool - have on them in terms of history, tradition and pedigree)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
MLB has a great streaming service that features a free game everyday and no commercials!
But I think that Manchester City demonstrated that they will be the team to beat.

I think we all expected that - but Man City are not SO much better than the other so-called top six that they can afford to be the tiniest bit complacent. Still. I think we'll all be shocked if they finish below second in the league.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think we all expected that - but Man City are not SO much better than the other so-called top six that they can afford to be the tiniest bit complacent. Still. I think we'll all be shocked if they finish below second in the league.

I doubt that they will become complacent - but, despite the fact that it was almost a friendly, I think that today's match - which City won at a relatively easy canter - exposed the still significant gulf in talent and class that exists between City and the rest.

However, that doesn't mean that injury couldn't strike, and the pressure will be on City to perform in Europe and retain the title; while I don't see them winning the league with 100 points, nineteen ahead of everyone else this coming year, I see no team - as yet - who will be able to mount a comprehensive challenge to their dominance.

And I think we will see a significantly improved Liverpool, who will deliver, to some extent, on their promise.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
And I think we will see a significantly improved Liverpool, who will deliver, to some extent, on their promise.

Liverpool's biggest obstacle is money. They may be one of the richest clubs in the world but they still cannot quite directly compete with Man Utd, Man City, Real, Barca, or PSG in terms of transfer fees. Those clubs can always theoretically outbid Liverpool on any given player.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Liverpool's biggest obstacle is money. They may be one of the richest clubs in the world but they still cannot quite directly compete with Man Utd, Man City, Real, Barca, or PSG in terms of transfer fees. Those clubs can always theoretically outbid Liverpool on any given player.
Spending money doesn't guarantee success. We've spent a fortune over the years and got nowhere for it.
This year we have spent a lot, and I'm hoping it will make a difference.
Better having a team who can play together with a team spirit than a dressing room of sulky superstars.
Even one bad apple can bring a dressing room down.
Hopefully it's a closer League this year, but I guess we will know soon enough!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yes, but, as @Apple fanboy points out, money isn't everything.

With Liverpool, Klopp has forged a terrific team spirit, a team ethos, and a sense of collective identity where Liverpool play as a team with a characteristic style of play, which is also attractive; he has also encouraged players to grow and develop both as players and as people.

After a period under Klopp, players have grown - in confidence, in ability, in skills (which cannot be said for Manchester United under Mourinho; tellingly, Pogba, Lukaku and Fellaini were revelations at the World Cup).

I'd see Liverpool as strong challengers for second place, and possibly, in a position to challenge for the title itself.

This year, Klopp has addressed the goalkeeper issue, and a few other deficiencies. I'd expect the team to do very well.

Spending money doesn't guarantee success. We've spent a fortune over the years and got nowhere for it.
This year we have spent a lot, and I'm hoping it will make a difference.
Better having a team who can play together with a team spirit than a dressing room of sulky superstars.
Even one bad apple can bring a dressing room down.
Hopefully it's a closer League this year, but I guess we will know soon enough!

I agree.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I am ready for Sunday!

Arsenal vs. Manchester City. For me, only a win against City will do.
[doublepost=1533559414][/doublepost]You put us 6th. Hmm...

We have had a lot of changes over the summer, and seems even more to come. Possibly Ivan Gazidis leaving (which is weird to me), but, I still expect a top 4 finish. After all, Unai Emery will be looking to make a point.

Okay let's predict it.
  1. Man City
  2. Liverpool
  3. Chelsea
  4. Spurs
  5. Manchester Utd
  6. Arsenal
  7. West Ham!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.