Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just googled Man Utd worst ever defeat.

1678040578902.png

So this is worse, so will be a permanent reminder for a long time to come.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just googled Man Utd worst ever defeat.

View attachment 2168693
So this is worse, so will be a permanent reminder for a long time to come.
The Guardian (well, Observer, as it is Sunday) writes (in their match feed):

"That equals Manchester United's heaviest ever defeat:
also 7-0 v Blackburn in 1926, 7-0 v Aston Villa in 1930 and 7-0 v Wolves in 1931."

Either way, it certainly equals their worst ever result. And one of their worst ever performances.

As footballers and as competitors, they were a disgrace.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Really bad day at the office. Their fragilities exposed brutally.

If Casemiro and Rashford don't turn up they're essentially back to baseline.

Bruno Fernandez should not be captain. He is not a leader, more of an embarrassment. Quick to point fingers and throw tantrums when things go south. Shocking.

Utd will be fine. ETH won't let this go unaddressed.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Bruno gets it right about 75% of the time, but that other 25% of the time, he can go far off the rails. He’s nowhere near consistent or level-headed enough to be captain. Luke Shaw was also indescribably bad for someone who’s supposed to be the best LB in the league. Inexcusable for them both to lose their heads like that.

ETH made a lot of mistakes today himself. He needs to run with the team like they did after the Brentford defeat.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
It's been quite the weekend on the pitch, then...

Across the entirety of the English Football pyramid there's been points won and lost that will heavily affect the top and bottom of the various tables.
In the PL, Saints being the only team in the bottom 6 to win - lifts them off the bottom of the table for the first time in what can only be described as the longest time ever!
The remainder of the Premier League bottom 6 (can't believe that at this time of the season we are still referring to the "bottom 6", as the bottom 3-4 are normally well established by now) really missed a beat this weekend and have just found themselves being dragged ever deeper into the relegation battle.
There are now just 6 points separating 9 teams at the foot of the table.

Burnley were held to a 0-0 draw at the top of the Championship table, while The Blades also lost points with a defeat to Blackburn (which rather ironically helps Burnley)

QPR dropped points and are now poised just above the drop zone in the Championship after failing to win in 12 games.

And Disney+'s favourite sons Wrexham faltered at the top of The National League, dropping points with a draw to Maidenhead, while Notts County (a club my dear old dad played for back in the '50's) also failed to take advantage and drew with Bromley.

But...it was a weekend to savour for me, as I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Charly Alcaraz score a great goal to squeak out Saint's win and I also saw my beloved Wellington Phoenix win in the A-League. I shall be going to see them live at Eden Park next Sunday, so a win gives them a little push to sell more tickets in the notoriously fickle Auckland (playing at Eden Park still doesn't make sense to me - The 'Nix average 8-12k crowds when they come to Auckland, while the stadium has a capacity of over 55k - even when we got a record crowd of 22k it seemed empty). And of course I love to see Man U get beaten...always brings a smile to my face (sorry to the diehard Man U fans on here, I know it's not fun taking a hammering - it's happened too regularly for us for me to be truly gleeful about it),. Just a shame that Man City weren't also given a good rodgering as well, but seeing the android lose his cool was fun, in its own way. Still don't know why he felt possessed to run halfway across the pitch to throw handbags at Jack Grealish's many aggressors...Grealish gets what he brings upon himself a lot of the time and frankly, while it wasn't a great challenge that caused the ruckus, I don't think it warranted a baseball style all-in melee.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Guardian (well, Observer, as it is Sunday) writes (in their match feed):

"That equals Manchester United's heaviest ever defeat:
also 7-0 v Blackburn in 1926, 7-0 v Aston Villa in 1930 and 7-0 v Wolves in 1931."

Either way, it certainly equals their worst ever result. And one of their worst ever performances.

As footballers and as competitors, they were a disgrace.

It offers a bit of hope in what is a poor season for Liverpool. I know someone I work with will be extra eager to avoid me today in the office.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It offers a bit of hope in what is a poor season for Liverpool. I know someone I work with will be extra eager to avoid me today in the office.
Just make sure you and your colleague do not behave like Neville and Carragher otherwise there might be more than just 'Do one' taking place lol

The thing that annoys me about such a loss is how players make excuses for how they and the team played. It goes on with other teams as well. Yes the players were rubbish but it does them a lot of justice in the eyes of the fans if players just speak the truth and say 'I was crap, the team was crap, we were rubbish, there is nothing more to say' but no we get the PR version so as not to upset the club directors and owners.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just make sure you and your colleague do not behave like Neville and Carragher otherwise there might be more than just 'Do one' taking place lol

The thing that annoys me about such a loss is how players make excuses for how they and the team played. It goes on with other teams as well. Yes the players were rubbish but it does them a lot of justice in the eyes of the fans if players just speak the truth and say 'I was crap, the team was crap, we were rubbish, there is nothing more to say' but no we get the PR version so as not to upset the club directors and owners.

My colleagues took great delight after the Madrid game and I took it well. Goes to show I am a better sport as both walked out of their office as soon as I mentioned the result this morning. Always amusing when someone can dish it out but can’t take it lol.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Fulham must be licking their lips with joy after seeing that United performance.

Also to add, every team's data/stats analysis department in the UK and Europe will now be looking at the game footage to workout/analyze just how Liverpool managed to get 7 goals past United and will be feeding that information to coaching staff.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
How much do you think the bids to buy United went down at the weekend?
Winning the EFL cup increased their value but the 7-0 loss has wiped out that loss in my opinion. Question is, as Liverpool is still up for sale, how much has that win increased their value?

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Keane and Neville should both shut up for a while. They're complaining about Bruno's whinging while giving him a run for their money themselves. They're just as embarrassing to watch as a United support at times.

Early in the match yesterday, I noticed Casemiro moving gingerly. He was not fully fit for whatever reason, and his lack of sharpness really did negatively affect the other players out there. Varane was also a late fitness test, but it's harder for me to say if fitness was a problem for him — most of the times when he was caught out were due to failures further up the pitch.

Got to come out with a strong response Thursday night against Betis.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Keane and Neville should both shut up for a while. They're complaining about Bruno's whinging while giving him a run for their money themselves. They're just as embarrassing to watch as a United support at times.

Early in the match yesterday, I noticed Casemiro moving gingerly. He was not fully fit for whatever reason, and his lack of sharpness really did negatively affect the other players out there. Varane was also a late fitness test, but it's harder for me to say if fitness was a problem for him — most of the times when he was caught out were due to failures further up the pitch.

To be honest, their criticism of Bruno's performance in that game is very well justified because both Keane and Neville were long time serving captains of United and did their jobs exceedingly well, Keane for 8 years and Neville for 5 years so as past captains both are in a very very good position to judge and therefore be critical of the clubs captain on the day. It is good that both of them are complaining and continue to complain about the clubs 'on the day' captain's behavior because it needs to be known that such behavior and performance is totally unacceptable for a captain of Manchester United whether it be for just one game, a couple of games for a whole season.

As I mentioned in another post of mine, the FA cup round against West Ham, United are there for the taking and oh boy did Liverpool do just that. Even though United won the game they played poorly and it took 2 very very late goals for United to win. as others pointed out as well, if West Ham had taken their chances the result would have been much much different. Credit to Liverpool's coaching team for doing their homework on that game because they exposed United's shortcomings in every quarter.

Could Betis do the same, we will have to wait and see.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m just thinking of Roy Keane going on about how embarrassing West Ham were after Utd beat us 4-0. Then the following game they go and lose by 7! Lol.

Well, Roy Keane - who was angry (characteristically angry, actually furious) also stressed that Manchester United were embarrassing with yesterday's performance, both in performance and in their conduct during the second half.

You make a good point about Casemiro moving gingerly and limping at times - and how this will always have a negative impact on a game for United, as he is a key player for them; he may have been carrying an injury and not fully fit.

To be honest, their criticism of Bruno's performance in that game is very well justified because both Keane and Neville were long time serving captains of United and did their jobs exceedingly well, Keane for 8 years and Neville for 5 years so as past captains both are in a very very good position to judge and therefore be critical of the clubs captain on the day. It is good that both of them are complaining and continue to complain about the clubs 'on the day' captain's behavior because it needs to be known that such behavior and performance is totally unacceptable for a captain of Manchester United whether it be for just one game, a couple of games for a whole season.

As I mentioned in another post of mine, the FA cup round against West Ham, United are there for the taking and oh boy did Liverpool do just that. Even though United won the game they played poorly and it took 2 very very late goals for United to win. as others pointed out as well, if West Ham had taken their chances the result would have been much much different. Credit to Liverpool's coaching team for doing their homework on that game because they exposed United's shortcomings in every quarter.

Could Betis do the same, we will have to wait and see.
Agree with @laptech on both points.

Firstly, Bruno's performance - and also, his conduct, given that he wore the captain's armband on the night and can have been expected to demonstrate leadership on the pitch - were an absolute disgrace.

And yes, that score line against West Ham flattered United; they only won at the very end, and West Ham had failed to take their chances in the first half; this could have been a very different result.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Keano and Neville were right to excoriate the players. I was talking more about their interactions with their follow pundits after the match, who were certainly enjoying themselves at their expense. Sometimes you've just got to take your lumps with some dignity — it happens to all of us at some point.

Bruno has some hard lessons to learn. Good captains stand up when times are bad — they don't lose their heads.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
It's OK Man U fans...they'll get to bounce back against us (Saints) in the weekend, even if Betis doesn't work out for them.
Ultimately, what I would like to see is the soul excaping from Man U, so we can go on to win this weekend's fixture and continue our impressive run of a win (and turn it into a massive streak of two on the trot), but I fear the worst.

Watching Brentford vs Fulham at the moment - a great couple of sides to watch as a neutral

Reactions: MBAir2010

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's OK Man U fans...they'll get to bounce back against us (Saints) in the weekend, even if Betis doesn't work out for them.
Ultimately, what I would like to see is the soul excaping from Man U, so we can go on to win this weekend's fixture and continue our impressive run of a win (and turn it into a massive streak of two on the trot), but I fear the worst.

Watching Brentford vs Fulham at the moment - a great couple of sides to watch as a neutral
Worse time to play a team like Utd is after a lose like that. I expect an instant reaction.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’m hoping for a different result. Nothing personal. I don’t mind Southampton, but at the moment it’s 3 out of 9 and we have some tough games in our run in.

Yeah, there's no room for sentiment or friendship at the bottom end of the table this year. It's just all too close.
The thing that would worry me about Southampton - and I like Southampton and wish them well - is that - studying the stats of the table, at the moment - they are on 16 defeats, two more than anyone else in the division. That is a statistic that should cause concern.

The other thing to note is how closely clustered, almost clumped, together, at the foot of the table, that the bottom six teams are, as has already been pointed out by others; usually, by this time of the season, two thirds of the way through, two or three teams - or, at the very least, one team - have come adrift of the others. That is not the case this year.

I expect the scrambled fight at the bottom to escape relegation to continue until the very last minute of the last game on the final day of the season.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.