Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
As much as I really loved my Apple Watch (5), as it helped me in tracking my health improvements, once I switched to my current Garmin Epix 2, I’m not sure I could go back to a rectangular screen and less than 2 week battery life. It’s really just so easy about putting on my Epix and not having to take it off for 14-16 days. Even when I include outdoor runs tracked with GPS, I still get two weeks of wear from it.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Sigh.... I feel like the Series 4 was the last update that *wasn't* iterative..
Going from S4 to S7 was a similar upgrade from S1 to S4 for me.

Improved sleep tracking metrics are nice to have, but the S7’s AOD (which came earlier) and the larger display are game changers for my usage.

I kept my S4 as a backup/2nd Watch, but I always make sure to wear the S7 for cycling workouts.

Since the screen is always on for “now playing,” I can easily hit the “next” button while riding my bike and listening to music (wearing my off-ear Sena Pi headphones) without having to take both hands off the handlebars.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
That whole article could have been condensed down to: Not much.

The only exciting thing would be a smaller Ultra watch.

Anyone looking to buy an Apple Watch today, might look at a S7 if you need AOD and O2 sensors, etc.
Otherwise, the SE2 seems like an inexpensive alternative before the AW10 which likely will bring major changes/features.

Last edited:

Kiwamu

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2022
For me to buy into Apple Watch it's all about battery life. My phone can last roughly 2days and if I need to push it, more; I want the same out of the watch.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
For me to buy into Apple Watch it's all about battery life. My phone can last roughly 2days and if I need to push it, more; I want the same out of the watch.
My 45mm Series 6 easily lasts 2 days. It depends on how you use it. I use mine mostly for notifications and time with the occasional Siri request. I usually use workout mode for less than an hour per day. Screen is always on unless it is in sleep mode. Cellular is active but infrequently used.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I feel like the S5 was significant in adding AOD.

S6 was pretty meh, S7 was a little interesting in the added screen size and rapid charging, but S8 again meh.

The good rule of thumb on this forum is “All the watch updates since [my version] have been stagnant with minor bumps”

And silly bias aside, there’s some truth to that depending how granular you want to be. You could argue that S0 to S6 were each only minor bumps. Even S0 to S8. Or not. We had had GPS, cellular, AOD, processor updates, health sensor updates, new screen sizes and formats etc. But fundamentally it’s still a watch, and people still whine :D

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I see people are finally coming around to the fact that Cook and Apple do two things very well.

1) Raise Prices
2) Offer you less.

Apple is dying much like Marvel is. All things come to an end. Truly hope a new competitor comes in with a new phone. Elon, where you at bruh?

Coming around? Too funny. Only people who are perpetually unhappy and need to have a good moan to start their day to feel better.

Apple dying is knee-slapping funny. Please don't say stuff like that when I'm drinking cold milk. Not pretty.

Kiwamu

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2022
My 45mm Series 6 easily lasts 2 days. It depends on how you use it. I use mine mostly for notifications and time with the occasional Siri request. I usually use workout mode for less than an hour per day. Screen is always on unless it is in sleep mode. Cellular is active but infrequently used.
To expand, Would love to see Apple advertising it as such - multiday use instead of the 18 hrs they promise.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
@admin
S8 already has Bluetooth 5.3
Comparison below of S8 and Ultra model
9D8AFD22-7537-4370-963E-5B3CDD4D8F46.png

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
To expand, Would love to see Apple advertising it as such - multiday use instead of the 18 hrs they promise.
Apple’s usage expectations are a lot higher than my normal use. I doubt that Apple has me in mind when they design exercise and health features.

cannaqueers

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
California
Given that most people have easy access to charging and make a point to charge the phone every night, I don’t get the constant complaints about the watch not lasting for days or weeks.
some people do like to camp, bikepack, backpack or go on weekend trips & accidently forget their charge so having a watch that lasts a fully weekend with some use is a nice feature. Plus, you will notice battery degradation later, which could mean one is using the device longer & contributing to less waste in some ways.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I tried the Sleep app and it is wildly inaccurate. Makes a nice display, nice chart, but the awake, rem, deep sleep, etc. does not mean anything because the ones I can monitor like awake and sleep are just wrong by 10's of minutes or hours.

Are Apple's other health function as bad or are they worse?

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
Considering how little was new with Series 8, Apple must have something planned for Series 9.
These were my thoughts as well, but given their recent moves I could see them holding out the goodies for the X, which is rumored to have…. A bigger display. Literally the last thing I need from the watch. 45mm is the max for me, not going any larger than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.