Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
Frankly I've given up on the Apple Watch being anything than a fitness/health tracker, some simple Siri actions, and for displaying notifications that let me know if I should pull out my iPhone or not. All the other functions/apps just haven't been very good for me. So at this point I just want it to have multi-day battery and for the aluminum model's screen to have better scratch resistance.
You've basically nailed why the Series 3 had such a long run. Some people are quite happy with a minimal feature set, so the incremental yearly changes are of little value. But better battery life is a universal ask across light and power users alike.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
Honestly, Apple should move to an every-other-year update cycle for the watch. Every year is starting to be kinda cringy

It makes no difference. They could update it every day. You don’t have to buy it.

It does - it makes a difference in the perception of progress.
Frequent updates with small changes will always feel less significant than further spaced updates with larger jumps. They sound less impressive in marketing, and spur less interest for those who already have the product.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I’m sure moving to 3nm chip will help with better battery times.

But can someone explain what voodoo magic Garmin uses to achieve such great battery life in their amoled models? I don’t suspect they have more advanced chips.

Some have suggested it was because it isn’t constantly syncing with a phone the way an AW does.

But does this save that much battery that it can last 7 days compared to 2-3 days on an Apple Watch?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It does - it makes a difference in the perception of progress.
Frequent updates with small changes will always feel less significant than further spaced updates with larger jumps. They sound less impressive in marketing, and spur less interest for those who already have the product.

Right. I thought the hyperbole was obvious :D Yes every day woukd be microsteps. Conversely every two years would be much larger steps but also mean a device in market using older tech that would be in some cases developmentally behind other products on the market.

There is the crowd that already has the product who will be less likely to upgrade their perfectly working product but for new entrants the product will have more contemporaneous technology.

I’d rather see newer tech be available to those that want it rather than have it delayed to appease the folks who think they have to upgrade every time a new version comes out (and complain about spending the money ) and that a new version makes an older version obsolete.

Reactions: UltimaKilo

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’m sure moving to 3nm chip will help with better battery times.

But can someone explain what voodoo magic Garmin uses to achieve such great battery life in their amoled models? I don’t suspect they have more advanced chips.

Some have suggested it was because it isn’t constantly syncing with a phone the way an AW does.

But does this save that much battery that it can last 7 days compared to 2-3 days on an Apple Watch?

I don’t know much about the Garmin at all, but does it have the processing power of the Apple Watch? Can I use it to control my TV? Dictate emails? Control my Spotify? Control my phone camera? Not looking for a feature comparison but are we talking about the same sports in terms of processing power?

It does seem impressive.

cannaqueers

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
California
I would have to assume a portion of it is due to the OS. Then again, the original Venue model got like between 3-4 days while the 2 gets something like 10 days in the regular & 9 in the 2S. I would have to assume Apple tried an OS from the ground up for the watch & found going based off iOS was better.

Dictate emails? Control my Spotify? Control my phone camera?
The Venue 2 plus can do that all on Android but is restricted to only controlling Spotify(which most Garmins can do). It's an iOS/Apple restriction that only allow the Apple watch to reply to texts & dictate emails.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
If you’re waiting for the “established” medical device companies, you’re going to wait a looong tine…
Sensors are still in early stages but they will continue to improve, but also don’t kid yourself thinking that Apple will bring these capabilities to a consumer watch, your “normal” AW will not become a medical device that has FDA approval and such. When the technology is ready it will fit into an AW but will sell at 5-10x the price, and that will still be a bargain for those who need CGM…
Yeah, but it will be revolutionary. Now that we know the importance of monitoring blood glucose for not just peak athletic performance, but for longevity, we could be on the cusp of much longer, healthier lives.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
My S5 still chugging along very nicely. I’d be more than happy to drop money on a new one this year if something compelling is in it but perhaps they’re waiting for the S10 to really crank things up.

East India Company

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2023
The Apple Watch has been stuck for a very long time now. Maybe they lacked initial planning or were expecting to advance much quicker on new sensors.
I bought the series 0 then upgraded to the 3 because of the additional heart sensor capabilities and the fact that series 0 was basically unusable for anything. My last upgrade was a second hand series 5 because I wanted to play with the ECG and have the rounder screen.

I’ve never used the ECG since.. the processor is largely unchanged since series 5. I don’t feel that there is anything worth an upgrade while still having to even pay more than before for essentially the exact same thing.

But I get it, new cOlOuRs..

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
The Apple Watch has been stuck for a very long time now. Maybe they lacked initial planning or were expecting to advance much quicker on new sensors.
I bought the series 0 then upgraded to the 3 because of the additional heart sensor capabilities and the fact that series 0 was basically unusable for anything. My last upgrade was a second hand series 5 because I wanted to play with the ECG and have the rounder screen.

I’ve never used the ECG since.. the processor is largely unchanged since series 5. I don’t feel that there is anything worth an upgrade while still having to even pay more than before for essentially the exact same thing.

But I get it, new cOlOuRs..

Display has changed, quite a large increment there ....and who doesnt love faster charging...

Small things can make a BIG difference...

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
The fact that they are still using a 10 year old Garmin says something about longevity & being a mindful consumer.

The Apple Watch Series 0 still works fine, if that's what you want to use. Apple's watches have plenty of longevity. They eventually lose out on software updates, but the watches continue to work and work well if that's what you want to use. Feature wise they will be lacking, but that's a choice you make when you use a aging technology.

But the OP was posting like his 10 year old Garmin is superior becuase it has a couple of speciifc features that HE thinks make it worthwhile keeping. That's fine, but a 10 year old Garmin is essentially a toy compared to a modern Apple Watch in regards to what it can do functionally.

And I can tell you this, the heart rate sensor on that 10 year old Garmin isn't CLOSE to being as accurate as the current Apple Watch. The Apple watch has the most accurate heart detection out there, so I'm not sure that his needs are really that important when he's using a heart rate sensor for the most part that is very inaccurate.

Reactions: Agile55

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I might be interested in a flat watch, but only if iWatchOS finally allows music/netradio streaming from the internal speaker, and it also has a workable web browser. Otherwise I don’t see the point over my series3, as for me, it’s still just a notification gadget.
How can this thing be a workable web browser. That’s never going to be practical.

Music could be nice for emergencies. But Apple wants you to buy AirPods so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

The main appeal is health and sports. If you’re not into that, then it is indeed nothing more than an annoying notification gadget.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
yes finally thank you!

Even though it just says the series 9 is going to be crap. 😩

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Sounds like a nothing burger. If it ends up that way then there isn’t really a compelling reason to upgrade if you even have watch 4 or higher.
If you have a Series 4 or 5, there are plenty of reasons to upgrade, but mostly battery. By the time the Series 9 releases the Series 4 is a 5 year old watch.

In light of where the industry is and the overall smartwatch market, I’m glad I bought the Ultra last year. I won’t upgrade for a couple years, or until the Ultra goes microLED. Battery, design, materials, performance, features-there’s not much to add to the Ultra. It’s a fantastic watch.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
I really do want to upgrade my Series 4. The always on display released a few years ago was tempting but not really a big improvement over the 4. So alas, I keep waiting on some sort of notable upgrade. It looks like the 9 still may not have it. I keep hoping for a nice display, sensor or processor bump. Luckily my 4 is doing great!
Exactly the same place I’m at. Series 4 was a major visual and functional/speed change from previous watches. I’m not seeing a compelling enough reason to upgrade yet.

Reactions: fatTribble

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Your watch battery health needs to drop under 80% for Apple to honor battery service. I used the battery replacement service on my S4 last year no problem. What is your watch battery health?
It is at 76%. I’m glad to make an appointment at a genius again but do you what I should expect to pay for a new battery?

Apples website quotes me $79 which is exactly what I’m glad to pay to renew my watch. But then when I took it in the genius was like it will be $300 cus they will find something else wrong with it so you might as well just upgrade to a new one. He was actually kind of a jerk lol.

CocaColaFan

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2023
Will be interesting what they come up with. I think a new processor with better battery life is most likely, maybe a redesign with a flat screen? Whatever they do they probably will have to update both the Ultra and the regular or neither, since the difference between the models isn't that big already. I can't imagine the AW9 having a superior processor compared to the Ultra.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
You've basically nailed why the Series 3 had such a long run. Some people are quite happy with a minimal feature set, so the incremental yearly changes are of little value. But better battery life is a universal ask across light and power users alike.

Agreed. I had the Series 4 for years and had been contemplating an upgrade but the Series 8 didn’t have enough new compelling features to make it worth the money. The Ultra and it’s hefty price tag seemed like major overkill for somebody like me who isn’t a heavy outdoor users who does intense workouts, diving, etc. I do use the cellular model which adds to the cost but for me the ability to have the watch completely separate from my iPhone is part of what makes it appealing. It’s on my wrist so I’m not going to lose it or leave it somewhere by accident and if / when I do that with my phone I’m not SOL. I can ping my phone and if it’s truly lost, locked in my car or left behind somewhere I can still receive and send texts, take or make phone calls, etc.

I’ve been waiting for a killer feature like blood glucose monitoring of some kind even if it isn’t exact or, in my case, blood pressure monitoring of some kind, but it became obvious we’re still years away from either so I finally decide to upgrade to a refurbished cellular Series 7. I get the bigger screen and everything else in the 8 except body temperature monitoring which appears to be more useful to women than men as presently implemented and some extra battery life. By the time we do see one or both of the above killer new features it seems like I’ll have had the Series 7 for several years and will have gotten my monies worth as I did with the previous Series 4 and the original Apple Watch I owned before that.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I would have to assume a portion of it is due to the OS. Then again, the original Venue model got like between 3-4 days while the 2 gets something like 10 days in the regular & 9 in the 2S. I would have to assume Apple tried an OS from the ground up for the watch & found going based off iOS was better.
I don’t know much about the Garmin at all, but does it have the processing power of the Apple Watch? Can I use it to control my TV? Dictate emails? Control my Spotify? Control my phone camera? Not looking for a feature comparison but are we talking about the same sports in terms of processing power?

It does seem impressive.
The OS probably does eat up battery life. I suppose given the Apple watch is more a Swiss army knife that’s meant to do everything, not just fitness.

I don’t know what processor is used on Garmin watches but doubt it requires or has the processing power of an Apple Watch. I‘m not sure with respect to smart watch capabilities as I’ve been mostly looking at their Forerunner models which focus on fitness.

For instance they just release a few new models including this 965 which has an incredible 23 days of smartwatch use. This is how they arrive at their estimated battery life:

Notifications per Day50
Number of Interactions per Day160
Device-Generated Alerts per Day (Move or Goal Alerts)2
Hours per Day Outside of Bluetooth Range of Phone1
Display Brightness and TimeoutDefault Settings
Average Number of Hours per Day Spent Outside15
Watch Face2Default
Number of Gestures per Day750
Pulse Ox ModeDisabled by Default
Number of Minutes of Streaming Music0
Number of Timed Activities0

Battery Life​

Up to 23 Days​

I admit it’s not entirely easy to compare Apples to Garmins. But damn, I‘d love to see Apple’s mainstream models get at least closer to a week between charges.

CocaColaFan

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2023
The OS probably does eat up battery life. I suppose given the Apple watch is more a Swiss army knife that’s meant to do everything, not just fitness.

I don’t know what processor is used on Garmin watches but doubt it requires or has the processing power of an Apple Watch. I‘m not sure with respect to smart watch capabilities as I’ve been mostly looking at their Forerunner models which focus on fitness.

For instance they just release a few new models including this 965 which has an incredible 23 days of smartwatch use. This is how they arrive at their estimated battery life:

Notifications per Day50
Number of Interactions per Day160
Device-Generated Alerts per Day (Move or Goal Alerts)2
Hours per Day Outside of Bluetooth Range of Phone1
Display Brightness and TimeoutDefault Settings
Average Number of Hours per Day Spent Outside15
Watch Face2Default
Number of Gestures per Day750
Pulse Ox ModeDisabled by Default
Number of Minutes of Streaming Music0
Number of Timed Activities0

Battery Life​

Up to 23 Days​

I admit it’s not entirely easy to compare Apples to Garmins. But damn, I‘d love to see Apple’s mainstream models get at least closer to a week between charges.
Most of the OLED Garmin watches are a lot bigger than even the 45mm Apple Watch they also have a lower display brightness and always on as well as puls ox disabled. If you enable everything on the Epix to make it comparable to the Ultra you only get a few days more, while losing LTE capability and apps.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Glucose or go home. It's my belief that will help a lot of people headed down a dark path when the watch calls out the blood sugar action / reaction cycle with a little needed shaming.
Yes a full sound Siri on the watch speaker:

“Stop eating right now, tubby. You are on a dark path toward morbid obesity and type two diabetes.”

Oh, phew, thank you Siri.

*chucks the oreos out the door onto the backyard lawn, and eats a raw pepper.*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.