The 3G iPhone is Apple shame

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inx13, Aug 22, 2008.

1. inx13 macrumors newbie

I have been an Apple Afficiando for 20 years and I purchased an iPhone 1.0 and used it without too much hassle for a year before the launch of the 3G version. I was so excited when the 3G version came out believing that Apple just gets better and better.

What a fool am I! Apple has become worse than Microsoft - mostly becasue we expect Microsoft to be awful at everything they do. Apple's 3G iPhone is a shock and debacle! It is horrible. As an enterprise device is it is a complete waste of time - I am so frustrated with every aspect of it. It isn't even a good toy. It is unreliable and you spend more time fiddling with restoring it and loosing important data because the back up you have isn't compatible with the latest buggy firmware or some other badly engineered excuse.

I used to be Apple's biggest freelance unpaid sales guru - now, I am ashamed and humiliated. I cannot forgive the wasted hours, ******* around and disappointment caused by Apple's loss of honour and dignity as exemplified by the iPhone 3G. You will not recover from this one Apple - you have lost your soul, your essence, to whatever demon rules the digital age - you know the one, the one the keeps Microsoft kicking despite its death years ago!

Apple and Steve Jobs should be ashamed of themselves. I wonder whose heads are rolling over this one. I can't begin to express my disdain and disgust. Nokia, I was wrong! All is forgiven!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I agree that this is perhaps the most troubled Apple product in recent history.

It's still worth noting, however, that the iPhone is still way better than any other cell phone I've ever used. This is more a comment on just how terrible the cell phone market is compared to other types of electronics. It's so bad that even a sub-par device can come out on top.

3. wronski macrumors 6502

I've had no trouble with mine. I also like how you complain the the 3G is not an enterprise device even though you owned the original iPhone and thought it was fine.

4. Linuss macrumors regular

That's what you get for buying the first run of something without giving it time for the kinks to be worked out.

It's basic knowledge on all car/tech purchases== DON'T GO FIRST RUN.

5. wronski macrumors 6502

That's kind of dumb justification if you ask me. More importantly it should be noted that the average iPhone user has probably had no problems. It's almost certain that everyone here complaining about issues are outside of the average.

6. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

It sure would be nice if OP had posted some specific problems in his rant.

7. wronski macrumors 6502

OP doesn't want advice or solutions to problems; just is trigger happy to criticize because they had a bad day today.

8. jontucker macrumors 6502

I disagree.

I've used the iPhone 3G since release day with very few problems. Granted, it's not quite as responsive as first gen iPhone which i also used since it's launch day in the UK.

My iPhone gets VERY heavy usage. Calls total about 2500 minutes a month with received calls being about the same. About 90-100 pushed emails a day, though I don't send too many from it. I hook it up to my Audi ipod dock for music while driving (though the 3g version doesn't charge while docked in it). I use it every night for surfing, internet banking etc while I'm working away from home. I have it hooked up to my MobileMe account (which incidentally I've also had few problems with, though my Dad had trouble with his calendar to begin with) and update my calendar and contacts almost exclusively via the phone.

Considering the amount of usage it gets I find it completely acceptable that it needs a charge every night (battery meter usually still in the white though) which i do with the mains charger rather than from my laptop.

In the time that I've had it, it has required 2 power cycles to resolve any issues that have occurred, specifically lagging input.

I do accept that people are having trouble but as you now know, there are also people that aren't.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This ignores the fact that orginal iPhone owners have been having similar troubles after they upgraded to the 2.0 software. Some problems with new devices, I understand and am ok with (which is what you seemt to be talking about). But introducing problems to current customers? That's a whole other beast.

That's the "basic knowledge" here? "Don't upgrade a year-old piece of tech to 2.0 software." Really?

I actually forgive Apple for all the 3G problems they're having. I haven't complained about that. But the software problems are a pretty big deal. Certainly to the people who upgraded from version 1 to version 2. They shouldn't be afraid to do something like that.

10. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I have had some issues with my iPhone 3G but I wouldn't go to the extreme that the original poster here has gone to. The issues I have had pretty much relate to the 2.0 firmware being a bit shaky. Other issues have to to with MobileMe which I think Apple has done an admirable job of making up for their mistake by extending memberships. I haven't lost respect or confidence with Apple since I have seen 2 updates to the firmware in a little over a month plus constant work on MobileMe with free extensions to my membership. This is all on top of the fact that Apple actually admitted, totally not a Microsoft thing to do, that they bit off a little more than they could chew. I do understand the frustration but I don't understand being so rash and illogical by condeming Apple after supporting them for 20 years.

11. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I live in Columbus Ohio, and have never dropped a call, my only problems have been MobileMe. My 3G works great. Just like my 2.5G before it. I really think it is the network not the phone.

12. Linuss macrumors regular

Don't cherry pick.

This is the first run of the 3g version, first runs of ALL technology are notoriously buggy, be it from cars to computers to phones.

If it wasn't for the need of some people to have the "omg newest fastest hottest" at the moment it comes out, you wouldn't have to deal with most of the problems.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You'll note that a lot of the negative posts lately are newbies, most of which never seem to stick around. While yes, everyone has to start out that way, the motives have to be questioned of most of these, I think.

Anyway, he could always exchange it for a Blackberry Bold! :D

14. themint macrumors newbie

3G apple phone shame

Dont know what you are on about :I have had no problems with mine, the battery isnt too good (but thats known ) but otherwise its fine, I eagerly await the next software update!
    Themint

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But the problems I'm talking about (typing lag, most notably) affect both 2nd gen and 1st gen phones.

Thus, it's a software problem. Thus, I am talking about the software.

I am confused as how you can keep referring to a 2.0 release of software as a "first run" of this technology. It's a year old. It's the second version. That is not a "first run!"

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The 3G iphone simply wasn't ready to be released. It needed about 2 months of additional hardware and software development and I think this all would have gone smoother. All I know is that the call quality on my 4-year old Sprint phone was better than the iphone--maybe one dropped call every six months compared to calls dropped daily on the iphone. A 4 year piece of technology should not perform *better* than a supposedly advanced device.

Despite this, I'm still a fan and am patiently waiting for the software update which is supposed to fix all of this. We'll see. I still love having a phone and ipod in one device so I'll probably hang in there but like the OP I'm irritated that this product was released in this condition.

17. jontucker macrumors 6502

No it doesn't. I passed my first gen iPhone on to my Dad who is using it, with v2 software without trouble.

Granted that if people who were using 1.1.4 without issues, now have issues with v2 then there is a software issue but doesn't that just lessen the case for the 'iPhone 3G hardware is rubbish' crowd?

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

None of these are 100% kind of things. Just because your dad is doing great doesn't mean everyone is.

Which is what I've been reading. I don't have a 1G phone, but do you think all those people are posting lies or something? I tend to believe them when I hear complaints.

Yes, of course it does. Which is exactly the point I've been trying to make this whole time.

19. wronski macrumors 6502

Likewise the opposite is just as true. Just because you're not doing great doesn't mean everyone else is in the same boat.

20. Linuss macrumors regular

Are you blind?

He's talking about the 3g, not 2.0 firmware, so I'M talking about 3g, not 2.0 firmware. Don't grab something from your head and argue with me on something that I wasn't even talking about.

21. newyorksole macrumors 68020

All I know is that my 2G iPhone worked PERFECTLY. Of course Safari crashed a couple times and I got a couple dropped calls in my room. But this iPhone 3G obviously wasn't ready to be released nor was the 2.0 software. It's amazing how companies put so much time into things and work on projects for several months and the product still isn't up to par..

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

:confused: And where did I say anything remotely resembling that remark? Why do people constantly argue against things I didn't say? Of course I agree with this.

23. jontucker macrumors 6502

What i said was, I know there are people with problems but there are plenty without. That extends to 1g users on v2 software so no, I don't think they're lying, I know that they're not.

I think we're arguing the same point actually....

24. denm316 macrumors 6502

I biught the first iPhone after switching from Verizon, while AT&T's network had something to be desired compared to Verizons,(where I am) I stuck with it because I really enjoyed the phone. There were dropped calls here and there but overall with 1.1.4 and the original phone, things were good. While I work I got a very sporadic AT&T signal which is the only place I was very annoyed with it.

I then got the iPhone 3G and its EDGE reception was by far better then the first one (maybe the plastic aluminum thing). I could now recieve calls and what not at my desk at work. While at home I was averaging around 1 bar of 3G and calls would consistently drop. I turn 3G off and I have a full EDGE signal. The main reason I bought the iPhone 3G is because of better overall reception, I didnt need 3G. I get more annoyed by the higher data plan for a service I dont even use. And when I do use it calls go in and out. I have went on long enough and dont feel like typing about the 2.0.x issues with lag and what not.

I am thinking of going back to Verizon and getting a Blackberry Curve. A rock solid OS and a rock solid data network.

I still love Apple and thier computers/OS/iPod, however I think I will be on the iPhone sidelines shortly.