Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfwill23

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Firstly, as the ORIGINAL POSTER, let me thank you one and all for such an enthusiastic and, for the most part, intelligent response to my rave last night. It is true, I had a bad month with the iPhone 2.0 crashing daily and having to restore the little bugger as a new phone each time because the back ups were corrupt. (Caused by telephone calls or text messages coming through while backing up – I suspect – now I switch to aeroplane mode when backing up ands syncing). Secondly, my work has been suffering too much while I try to manage this iPhone 2.0 – something that didn’t happened with the iPhone 1.0.

Yes, I am a Newbie to this forum as a voice, not an observer, and I have had 20 years experience with owning and loving Macs and Apple. I am happiest fiddling and fixing my Apple gear as an Art Director, business manager and musician. I own way too much equipment and manage all the gear at work and for friends and family. Yes, I am a power user. And I know people with less expectations and demands having too much fun with their iPhones – for now…

As for Apple – as a company and its many products have been more than a brand for me (as for many of you) – it has been an Uber Lovemark (yes I am quoting). And as such we, the users, own the Lovemark – not Apple. Apple has an obligation to us to maintain the integrity of their Brand – and our Lovemark – or run the very real risk of becoming the ‘Bland’ that Microsoft has become. Apple has always been the leader in design and quality in an industry renowned for soul shattering mediocrity - especially given the possibilities of what we really could be enjoying.

For the first time in my 20-year love affair with the Mac and Apple, I have been compelled to provocatively speak out and denounce my Lovemark! I have felt betrayed! Emotional? You may say that and it would be an accurate analysis. Mad? In every sense of the word - perhaps! But I don’t care what people think – in fact, most of the time I am surprised that they do. Apple was for me different – yes ‘think different’. Its 1984 ad ‘why 1984 will not be 1984’ epitomized its magic and power. Apple seems to have lost that spark that ignited it. Is it a symptom of becoming too diversified and too big, while rationalising the workforce and outsourcing essential services? Cost cutting and letting marketing opportunities shadow quality control?

To me the iPhone 2.0 should be re-branded and sold as Microsoft product, then we would come to accept is flaws as expected and predictable. Apple rushed the product to market excited by the international opportunities and the success of the open source community!

1. The software is (Microsoft) buggy – if you run the Apple software only, you are relatively safe, I think. However, he 3G chip is intermittent and unreliable.
2. If you download apps from the Appstore, I suspect that Apple is not checking compatibility between apps and its firmware – and therein lies one of the cores of its instability.
3. The Apps in the Appstore are probably not properly checked and some are just downright badly designed from a technical POV – I will not comment on some of the (artistic) designs and concepts at this point.
4. I suspect that this iPhone has cheaper and less reliable components compared to the iPhone 1.0.
So, there! That’s is off my chest and having visted a local telco this morning, I have realised that I will stick with the [skanky] iPhone 2.0, even though it is fraught with problems and gives me heartburn – the alternatives are too ghastly to contemplate!

Amen brotha.

I own 3 Macs, use them for my video production business and couldn't WAIT TO GET MY IPHONE 3G! I'm now on my 3rd unit because THEY ALL DROP CALLS like it's going out of style. This product is not up to Apple's level of quality and not only am I outraged, but for the FIRST TIME EVER, I am embarrassed to be a huge fan of Apple.

Wonder if they'll be making a Zune phone?

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
It really is...

I cannot help but be disappointed with my 3G. It is not stable. And actually if I could somehow get back to my 1G without any hassles I would. After all, it is basically the same: but somehow it worked better.

This new phone is not even marginally better than the original. I am so disappointed in this purchase.

djfrugal1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
3G IPhone torture is over!!!!!!!!

I returned my 3G Iphone after two days of agony. 4 hour restores that only restore half of the info, the speaker not working, and all apps crashing. When you are paying for a phone and service it should work. These aren't bugs, this is like a beta version that hasnt been tested.

I switched back to my original IPhone and life is great!!!

inx13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
The software is mostly to blame

I think the build quality of the iPhone 2.0 is lousy.
The software is worse - I use it on both the iPhone 1.0 and 2.0 and it is dreadful on both.
Apple, shame, shame, shame - I would respect your response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.