The 4.2.10 blues =(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by msgkar03, Aug 2, 2011.

1. msgkar03 macrumors newbie

So I mistakenly decided to unjailbreak and update my phone a few weeks ago when I was having problems with it... so now I'm stuck with 4.2.10 and Im reading that there really is no chance of a jailbreak... very sad

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

If you were jailbroken, your blobs should be saved, meaning you can go back to an older firmware. Use tinyumbrella to check blob status.

3. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive taken your advice and i downloaded tiny umbrella.. when i hit the Save SHSH button I now have a thing that says iPhone4CDMA 4.2.8 (8E401) under saved SHSH's is that a good thing?

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Yea, that means you can go back to 4.2.8.

5. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

mind pointing me into a direction on how to go about doing so? ;P

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

Click "Start TSS server" then open itunes. Hold shift (option on mac) and point iTunes to the 4.2.8 firmware. If the restore fails at the very end, open Tiny umbrella back up and click Exit Recovery. Done deal. Note that you will either need a backup from 4.2.8, which you may have an old one lying around, or will need to set up as a new iphone. If you sync your contacts with outlook etc, and save all your pictures either manually or by syncing, youll only lose your text messages and user data (high scores on angry birds) when you set up as new.

Download firmware flies from here:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

7. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

I keep getting an error (20) "iPhone cannot be restored" message =x

do i need to change anything in the settings?

8. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone else have any insight as to what I need to do next?

9. jredecop macrumors 6502a

I had the same issues. What worked for me.
    1. Clean install of 4.2.10
    2. Close iTunes.
    3. Open tinyumbrella and start TSS server
    4. Use pwnage tool to create custom jailbroken 4.2.8 firmware
    5. After going into dfu per pwnage tool instructions, open iTunes and select the new firmware.

My phone booted right up without any errors. I couldn't get anything else to work. Tried different things for days.

Hope this works for you.

10. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

problem I'm now running into is that I can't even restore a clean version of 4.2.10... it keeps telling me I'm not authorized for it.. even though my phone is currently on 4.2.10.. /puzzled

11. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Scratch that.. Figured out i had to add something to my hosts file.. now it looks like its restoring 4.2.10 now

12. kre62 macrumors 68000

If you ran Tiny Umbrellas TSS server, it changed the hosts file to redirect Apple authorization to Cydias servers.

Make sure you are holding SHIFT when clicking the restore button. Option if youre on a mac. That will give you the dialog box where you can choose the lower firmware.

If you are just clicking restore, yes it'll fail cause its trying to authenticate 4.2.10 and you dont have those sigs saved on Cydias servers, even though Apple is currently signing it. Make sense?

A clean restore to 4.2.10 will make absolutely no difference. Thats bad advice. Just hold SHIFT or OPTION while clicking restore.

13. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

well I was able to get to where I could start restoring 4.2.8 ipsw.. i get about 80% done when I get a 1013 error.. I've tried tiny umbrella and reboot to kick it out of DFU.. it tries.. but then goes right back to the dfu screen. Ive tried reinstalling the 4.2.8 firmware 3 times (even tried a different source incase i had a bad firmware file) no matter what i can't get out of DFU =x I keep feeling like I'm getting close to getting back to my old JB.. but it seems every time i find a fix... a new problem pops up ;x

14. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

A better place for firmware is here http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

the firmware downloads from apples server (ie http://appldnld.apple.com )

Once you get tinyumbrella, close itunes, open tinyumbrella, click start TSS server, open itunes and restore. :]

(The TSS server does the same thing that apples server do, except it snags itunes request to verify and directs it locally instead of going out to apples servers to verify the ipsw)

15. kre62, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

kre62 macrumors 68000

Why dont you mouse hover over one of the firmware files linked to on the page I posted, and see where it downloads from.

Hint: It's the Apple server. Not only that, my site was iClarified, the oldest most respected, most trustworthy jailbreak site on the internet.

So yeah, go with my site.

You should be able to fix this with TU. Are you sure you are selecting the device correctly, then clicking "Exit Recovery" in TU?

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

In order to jailbreak you would have to downgrade to 4.2.8, then jailbreak from there. It's possible... I did it last night =)

Just look on this thread for help; it's what I used.

Downgrading CDMA iPhone 4 firmware 4.2.10 > 4.2.8 trials and tribulations

17. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

felixbruns is mentioned in practically EVERY tutorial on jailbreaking.

So your argument means what? iClarified is better just because it's an established jailbreak community? Scoff.

18. kre62 macrumors 68000

Its definitely the top tier jb site. And the links are from the Apple server. Theres no reason to use your site.

19. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the problem i see with feloxbruns is that it doesnt have 4.2.8 .. it only has 4.2.7 . which I cant use because my SHSH is 4.2.8

20. kre62 macrumors 68000

And there it is

21. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

1.) Started with a fresh 4.2.10
    2.) Opened TU and started server
    3.) Shift-Restored 4.2.8 fresh IPSW

Now I cant get out of DFU mode (tried several times in TU as well as 2 other programs)) .. so I did what someone above suggested and tried to restore using a custom snowbreeze firmware.. now im getting the error 21..

bout to toss this thing out the window >>

**EDIT**
    Does anyone think the baseband is whats getting in the way of me coming out of DFU? Is it panicing?

22. jredecop macrumors 6502a

I did select the update iPhone 4 baseband in tinyumbrella when it worked for me.

23. msgkar03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys just wanted to get you an update.. Thanks to all of your help I was able to downgrade to 4.2.8 and successfully JB using snow breeze.. Thank you all very very very very VERY much for your help. =)

Special Thanks to:
    Kre62
    jredecop
    labman
    AppleFanatic10

You guys rock ;)

24. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Great!! Why worked for you??