The 6 Plus' Sleep/Wake Button Placement...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BergerFan, Jan 3, 2015.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Am I the only one who wishes that the sleep/wake button on the iPhone 6 Plus, was in the original location(at the top)?
    With the button in its current location, I keep pressing it accidentally, when gaming in landscape, and I inadvertently press the volume button at times, when trying to lock the phone.
    Looking at the device in portrait mode, I guess Apple could lower the sleep/wake button, so it's below the volume down button, but it's annoying, where it currently is. :confused:

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

No
    It's ok where it is, it takes a little getting used to that's all.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Location is fine after you get used to it. Putting it on top would be reaching too far.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate the new location, I think Apple dropped the ball on this. i'm constantly hitting the volume down as I try to shut the display off.

I had a Nokia phone with the sleep button on the side, but the other buttons were no where near the sleep button so there was no accidental pressing of those.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Being on the side is the best location for a larger device, but it should be lower. The Plus's power button is way too high. It should be placed relative to where it is on the 6, which is placed perfectly.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Apple's Newton had a utility that put a sleep button in the screen corner of your choosing. It relieved the hardware button of excess use.

7. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I like the location actually, but can agree it is kinda annoying when you press the volume buttons and the lock button. Just be thankful that you don't have a Galaxy S4 with ridiculously mushy buttons and the lock button/volume buttons don't go insane from the slightest bit of pressure, accidental lock bottom presses was almost a nonstop issue for me, where this phone it never happens because it has much higher quality buttons

8. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

No, you're not the only one that dislikes the new position! ;)

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I, myself, actually like the location. For me it would be awkward having the power button placed on top and it's too far to be reached from how I hold the phone.

The way I hold the phone, I use my right hand, and I use my thumb to hit the power button. So it makes sense for me to have the power button on the side instead of top.

10. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

The headphone jack on the bottom is great (once you get used to it). Everything is great when you cant do anything about it, so just get used to it.

11. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I'm not thrilled with the location myself and have accidentally locked the phone on a few occasions when watching a video in landscape mode and thinking I was turning up the volume.

It also gets annoying when I go to lock the phone and the volume icon pops up onscreen due to pressure of my thumb on the opposite side of the phone.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Come on, if they kept the sleep/wake button in the original location on the 6+ we'd be getting a busload of threads on how difficult it is to reach the top instead of this one.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

And they'd be absolutely right to say so. You'd have to completely switch your grip to hit a power button on the top of the Plus.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I disagree. The 6 power button is too low, but the 6+ is ok for me. It would get in the way any lower.

15. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I would move the sleep button to about 5 mm below the lower volume button, on the same side as the volume buttons.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's too low not to trigger it accidentally with your index finger while holding it, especially on the 6.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Why people want their thumb resting on the power button at all times is beyond me. I don't want it any lower on my 6+ as I hate accidentally pressing the volume or power buttons when I pick up a phone. The HTC M8 is a classic for it.

18. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, people post a lot more complaints than compliments, so the few number of complaints indicates most people don't have a problem with it.

I too, have occasionally pushed the volume by accident on my 6 when went for power. But the other day when I had my iP6 on the table and tried to push the power button, a thought occurred to me: had the power button remained at the top, I would need to use a Vulcan death grip to push the power button. Where it is now I only needed 2 fingers to do the task.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I like the placement but hoped it was sitting a little lower.
    Cause naturally when you put your hands to click the side button you are also hitting one of the volume buttons at the same time.
    So if it was lower you wouldn't be pressing any of the volume keys when trying to hit the home.
    I definitely wouldn't want it on top, would be too far to reach.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's just a small learning curve to shift your index finger so it's gripping below the volume buttons then it becomes a habit done easily without thinking. Not that difficult to do because the thumb naturally sits higher than the fingers if you have your hand in front of you as in holding a mirror.

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

Ah sure it's not that bad, yer man Ive knew what he was doing so he did.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its been over 3 months and my hands are still not shifting towards that learning curve and power and volume buttons keep getting pressed at the same time.
    Maybe I'm not normal cause my thumb and index finger tend to grab things at the same parallel location. I don't know I'm still questioning myself:D

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

True. Whatever position they would have decided, there would be people complaining in this forum. So I'm fine with the actual design

24. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

The jerk that put the power button in it's current location was definitely not a left handed person :p

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I actually think it's more comfortable for a left handed user