Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So…you're saying that the difference of a few grams between devices is a valid point of discussion only as long as the comparison is made between devices within the Apple ecosystem? And if so, that if a newer device is heavier than an older device, it is then a legitimate cause for concern?

Do you realize how insular that sounds?

Given apple produces a device that is thinner and lighter each generation , and makes a huge deal about it, yea valid point to discuss. Given you have not held the new unit , awesome that you have already made up your mind.

When Apple increases weight or size, do you how sad it sounds when people start comparing it to other devices the competition makes as an excuse and justification.

Being an apple iPhone user, I care less about other handsets, I care about the differences between the 6 plus and 6S plus.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Given apple produces a device that is thinner and lighter each generation , and makes a huge deal about it, yea valid point to discuss. Given you have not held the new unit , awesome that you have already made up your mind.

When Apple increases weight or size, do you how sad it sounds when people start comparing it to other devices the competition makes as an excuse and justification.

Being an apple iPhone user, I care less about other handsets, I care about the differences between the 6 plus and 6S plus.
Yes. I've made up my mind without holding the device. I can do simple math and the math tells me the device is heavier than my current iPhone 6+ but is not heavier than some other non Apple devices out there.

I've held other phones, both traditional phones and cordless phones as well as cell phones and they were all much heavier than my own 6+.

Which makes the fact that the 6S+ is slightly heavier than my own 6+ insignifigant to complain about to me.

But I also don't choose to live solely inside Apple's world, nor even in the current Apple decade when it comes to my Macs.

However, far be it from me to deny others their view of things. If comparing the weight between just those two models is all you care about there's more than enough room in the world for the both of us.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
I appreciate the weight. Makes it feel real, premium, worth all the money being spent on it, & all the care I'll provide to keep it in great condition.

Reactions: Che Castro

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yes. I've made up my mind without holding the device. I can do simple math and the math tells me the device is heavier than my current iPhone 6+ but is not heavier than some other non Apple devices out there.

I've held other phones, both traditional phones and cordless phones as well as cell phones and they were all much heavier than my own 6+.

Which makes the fact that the 6S+ is slightly heavier than my own 6+ insignifigant to complain about to me.

But I also don't choose to live solely inside Apple's world, nor even in the current Apple decade when it comes to my Macs.

However, far be it from me to deny others their view of things. If comparing the weight between just those two models is all you care about there's more than enough room in the world for the both of us.

Guess what, you are on an opinion site. People are having an opinion about the weight of the new phone......cause as you may already be aware , each generation of an apple product has becomes smaller and smaller ..... So maybe just, discussing the trend going the other way is worth discussing?

I live outside apples wall, though I care about the difference between the unit I am replacing , and iPhone 6, I don't care less about the competition which I have no intention of purchasing.

When you purchase a new product, and have it down to two, do you use a 3rd product to compare to that you will never buy , just to justify the other two? I do not.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Guess what, you are on an opinion site. People are having an opinion about the weight of the new phone......cause as you may already be aware , each generation of an apple product has becomes smaller and smaller ..... So maybe just, discussing the trend going the other way is worth discussing?

I live outside apples wall, though I care about the difference between the unit I am replacing , and iPhone 6, I don't care less about the competition which I have no intention of purchasing.

When you purchase a new product, and have it down to two, do you use a 3rd product to compare to that you will never buy , just to justify the other two? I do not.
You're right. This is an opinion site. I knew that when I signed up. I discuss my opinion here every day and I often have strong viewpoints.

Apparently you do as well. We just seem to view things quite differently.

I know where you stand and you know where I stand. We disagree. That's about as much that can be said of it I think.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You're right. This is an opinion site. I knew that when I signed up. I discuss my opinion here every day and I often have strong viewpoints.

Apparently you do as well. We just seem to view things quite differently.

I know where you stand and you know where I stand. We disagree. That's about as much that can be said of it I think.

To be honest, I don't care about the weight increase in my case.
My point is that is a point worth discussing . I never stated if the increase is a pro or a con.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
To be honest, I don't care about the weight increase in my case.
My point is that is a point worth discussing . I never stated if the increase is a pro or a con.
I don't care about the weight increase either and you are correct that you didn't state if you thought it was a pro or a con.

I disagree with you that the weight is a point worth discussing however.

But don't think that because I disagree with you that I am disregarding your opinion and devaluing your arguments for it. Nor do I mean you any disrespect. We just don't this issue the same way is all.

Reactions: MH01

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Good, I am glad they are heavier. In my opinion the 5C was their best form factor of an iPhone yet, and it was heavier, and felt sturdy. Feather-thin phones that are 5.5 inches feel like crap.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
You will feel the extra 12% weight. No thanks.

I hAted the extra weight going from the iPad 2 to 3 too.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I don't care about the weight increase either and you are correct that you didn't state if you thought it was a pro or a con.

I disagree with you that the weight is a point worth discussing however.

But don't think that because I disagree with you that I am disregarding your opinion and devaluing your arguments for it. Nor do I mean you any disrespect. We just don't this issue the same way is all.

Agreed. I think we are both on the same wave length. Your point is valid and I understand where you are coming from.

Reactions: eyoungren

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
bending is not an issue because after getting lithonic rugged case...i could stand on the iPhone and it won't bend. Still, iPhone should not be placed in back pocket. I have cargo pocket and it still bends with my 1st iPhone 6 plus until i got the case.

I went and looked at your Lithonic case and it looks to be quite strong indeed but does somewhat ruin the aesthetics of the phone but makes it unbend able for sure. Not sure is most want to spend over $150 for this aluminum case but it looks like it could do the job.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I went and looked at your Lithonic case and it looks to be quite strong indeed but does somewhat ruin the aesthetics of the phone but makes it unbend able for sure. Not sure is most want to spend over $150 for this aluminum case but it looks like it could do the job.
I actually got it through kickstarter for 99. :D Still, it protects the cast.
ONE of the drawback is actually...letting dust get through. I'm one of those protection over looks type of person.
The good thing about it is that it works with iPhone 6s...if the size is still the same.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Bogus claims, yet Apple still fixed it. Very interesting.

All despite the fact you continually denied any issue. And you even put real money they wouldn't change the aluminum case for the 6S. Looks like there was an issue, apple fixed it, and you were flat wrong.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...will-be-stronger.1820122/page-4#post-20464976

Yep. I was wrong about them strengthening the case. I wasn't wrong about "bendgate" being largely BS. Since then I've beaten the crap out of my 6 Plus and it's as flat as flat can be.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Despite Apple's obsession with thinness across all its devices, it seems that weight is less of a concern with the iPhones as it is with the iPads.. as the latest iPhones weigh in at 143g and 192g, the heaviest iPhones yet.

View attachment 580909

The increase in weight has nothing to do with the series 7000 aluminum.

It's the extra layer in the display for 3D Touch, the biggest feature of the iPhone 6s.

It's for a good reason and we're talking grams here...

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

ugh

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, I was here all through it, Newton. The claims were largely bogus. There was no bend problem with the last version of the phone. But do go right ahead and try to reignite that battle, because smart.

I've bent my 6 plus so many damn times... Every couple weeks I put it down on a very flat surface for reference and carefully worked it back to flat. I tried not to do it too much since the metal was starting to fatigue. The screen has never cracked, even when it was banana shaped, I'll give it that at least.

Will be glad to get rid of it when my 6S plus arrives.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Weight and a thin chassis is important to me. Thus just bought a 128 6, the thinnest and one of the lightest to date.

I hold my phone to watch content a lot. Every gram matters. Your arms and hands fatigue.

samiraa78

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
India
I think the weight adds bulk to the phone is sometimes good as it makes the phone good to hold, i dont know how weight will add to the phone being premium. I own a oneplus 2 it is one of the heaviest phone however the weight makes the phone good to hold and it is also rock

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Every GRAM matters? Holy canoli - a slice of white bread weighs a whole OUNCE! This is a phone, not long-distance backpacking lmao.

Reactions: Blujelly

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Every GRAM matters? Holy canoli - a slice of white bread weighs a whole OUNCE! This is a phone, not long-distance backpacking lmao.

Try holding your arms up for even 5 minutes straight. Tell us how you feel.

hutrebug

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2015
I think the weight adds bulk to the phone is sometimes good as it makes the phone good to hold, i dont know how weight will add to the phone being premium. I own a oneplus 2 it is one of the heaviest phone however the weight makes the phone good to hold and it is also rock

Weight beyond a certain tipping point is just cumbersome. I don't see much problem for the iPhone 6S, but the 6S Plus is almost 200g. Even the humongous Nexus 6 is 184g, still lighter than 192g of the 6S Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.