The 6s fingerprint scanner is wayyy too fast!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emilioestevez, Nov 6, 2015.

?

do you agree? is touch id too fast for its own good?

1. yes

20.0%
  2. no

80.0%
  1. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Man, I missed three important iMessages today due to the fingerprint scanner! It's so damn quick that I didn't notice there were unread messages on my lock screen until later on in the day when I opened the Messages app. WTF. Is there a way to slow it down???

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

Use a different finger to just activate the screen. Use your thumb (or whatever finger you use to unlock) when you want to unlock.

3. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Nope, not at this time. You could press the power button instead.

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Don't you have the message count badge turned on your Messages app? That's a good sign there are unread messages.

But yes, I agree with you that it can be an issue at times. I can usually see there's SOME kind of notification, but can't actually read it.

C

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Press the power button to see notifications without logging in. Then if you want to log in touch the home key without depressing it.

6. Aceroller macrumors member

Yep, power button to see notifications, home button to go straight in.

7. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

Yeah, whenever I want to show off a live wallpaper I have to activate the lockscreen with the power button instead of the home button. I don't know if too quick is the right way to describe it, because it is convenient most of the time, but it has its downsides.

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I used to miss my lockscreen notifications with the speed of the old one, so I got in the habit of using the power button to turn the screen on. I still occasionally reach for the home button first, but it's bye bye notifications!

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

use the corner of your thumb and it stops it from opening

10. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Why not just unlock and look at the notification bar?

11. Aceroller macrumors member

12. alFR macrumors 68020

Well, you know, you could:
    • Use the sleep/wake button to wake the screen. The clue's in the name.
    • Press the home button with one of the at least 5 fingers you won't have registered for Touch ID.
    • Look at the Messages app icon after the phone unlocks for the obvious, red unread messages badge that will tell you if you have any unread messages.
    Still, it was probably more fun to have a rant on Macrumors than spend 15 seconds thinking about the non-issue.

13. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Of course you can choose to create an issue when there really is none but you can also choose not to. First it was too slow, now it is too fast. Might just be the stupidest first world problem I've ever heard.

14. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Yup, this is what I find useful.

15. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I don't know about everyone else, but I usually look at my phone, when I unlock it. That way, I see the notifications on the lock screen...

16. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Why not just slide down Notification Center?

17. marcobrien macrumors member

Apple Pay is the worst. It's so fast, I can't even get a double press done to activate my lock screen debit card.

Couple of times I've ended up resorting to getting my card out of my wallet as I must look like some kind of doughnut who can't use his shiny new iPhone 6s Plus!!

18. freedomisle macrumors regular

You're not the only donut! It was so quick I never noticed it reading my fingerprint.. so I used to put the phone against the reader while trying to keep my thumb on the home button! :oops:

19. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Isn't that the point? Serious question. I have only used Apple Pay a couple of times.

20. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

5s - print sensor too slow, can't always read
    6 - speed is still too slow and it's reading better but still can't read with chocolate on fingers.
    6s - reads to fast, it's opened phone and read finger before my slow brain can even realize it.
    7 - they added an adjustment slider for how fast ID works but I can't decide where to place slider.
    7s - they took the slider out and replaced with buttons, now I can't fine tune it anymore.
    8. - Hey, what happened to the print ID button? Did I complain too much?

Apple institutes iPhone exchange program. Anyone with too many issues, please return iPhone via UPS to Cupertino CA. Your replacement 7000 series aluminum cans and 50 foot of high quality string will be shipped within 24 hours. Warning string must be held taught between cans to properly receive calls.

Waaahhh I want some cheese with my whine.

21. ftlum macrumors regular

When you're registering your fingerprint, just avoid having it recognize the tip of your finger. Then when you wake the phone, use the tip/nail to do so. This will keep the phone on the lock screen and you can use the lower part of your fingerprint when you're ready to unlock the device.

22. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Nice idea

23. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

This is what I always do when I want to view my notifications, so I voted no.

24. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

They would complain about holding the cans wrong.

25. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

Nah. It's merely a matter of method. I either click with a finger I haven't registered the print of, or I press with the upper side of my finger, i.e. not enough surface area to register properly.