the 8gb upgrade kit was taken down for the 15in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fleali88, Mar 29, 2009.

1. fleali88 macrumors regular

i just checked the site and now the only upgrade for any unibody macbook pro is a 4gb upgrade, only for the 2.4 (because 2.66/2.93 come with 4gb). so i guess they took it down in an error, i called apple support about his and she said that it had to be an error because to her knowledge the only laptop that can go to 8gb is the 17inch. so unless some one here can prove it works or doesn't i'll just have to face facts lol that im stuck with 4gb . BTW i have a 2.53 ghz unibody pro

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

3. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

what i dont understand is if the 15in chipset can support 8gb, why wouldnt apple use that as a selling point. i think it would help them more than hurt them. and the fact that its just a setting in the efi that blocks the full 8gb from working properly is just lame. ive never heard of anyone doing this but can anyone log into those settings and just change it?

4. Dreamail macrumors 6502

The word is: upsell

Easy. They want to upsell you to the higher model!

Apple earns more if you buy the 17" model - so Apple's strategy in recent years has been to 'persuade' buyers to spend the maximum amount of money they can afford (even if they don't need all the features), by giving them incentives to buy the next model up.
    The way to do this is to offer certain features only in the next higher model.

Perhaps Apple noticed in recent days that their 17" MBP orders dropped significantly as people went for the 15" plus the 8GB upgrade instead.
    For many people the 8GB option is much more crucial than the bigger screen, matte option or better battery life simply because they intend to buy an external screen anyway at which point they get the matte option, higher resolution and don't really care about battery life as much as the MBP is being plugged in.

Without the 8GB option (if the firmware does not support 8GB even if the chipset would) quite a lot of people could be 'persuaded' to go for the 17" MBP even if they don't really need any of the other extra features.

5. santos79 macrumors regular

I very much doubt that. It was probably just an error made by the person in charge of updating the website. Like the one that was made at the launch of the Unibody Macbook, when the backlit keyboard was listed as an option for the entry-level model.

I'm pretty sure Apple will add a firmware update for all unibody models at a later date. They all use the same chipset after all.

6. deanmadoo macrumors member

But i saw in some thread here that the 2.66 & the 2.93 15" version can support 8gigs of ram but the 2.53 & the 2.8 version can't.

7. California macrumors 68040

California

This is a "GM" type of pricing on Apple's part, I am sorry to say, until they firmware the full eight gigs of ram on all unibodies.

GM used to have five auto divisions. They would parse out motors, upgrades, bodystyles for maximum profit. The Cadillac would share the same body as the Chevy (can't recall the name of that car) but have upgrades.

I don't like it. It is an artificial tweaking of the market. Apple needs to have faith in their OS and hardware and understand that the better their product, the more product they will sell without artificially crippling machines.

It's like that old bromide that actually does work in a free market:
    Lower taxes means more tax revenue. It's a leap of faith for lawmakers to do this, but it is true. Trusting that their hardware is worth the money without crippling it is the leap of faith Apple needs to take. Word of mouth at their excellent product has already propelled them to take more than a ten percent market share, but doing these sort of firmware handicaps will give Apple a black eye.

8. santos79 macrumors regular

Yeah, obviously they still have to fix that.

If you click on "select a different family" you'll be taken back to the page where you can either choose to upgrade the memory on the 17-inch model to 8GB or the 15-inch entry-level model, which comes with 2GB to 4GB. The 15-inch 2.66 or 2.93 models aren't even listed.

That means of course that the other 15-inch models cannot be upgraded because they already come with the maximum amount of memory Apple offers for them thus far (=4GB).

9. sbauer macrumors member

Here's the thing though. I'm not going to buy a 17" laptop just to get 8GB of RAM. A 17" laptop is just too big for me. Isn't going from the MacBook to the MacBook Pro up selling enough already? At this point, they've convinced someone that they need a $2000 laptop, which is still pretty good. It's not like the 15" MBP were purchased out of a bargain basement bin.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes but if there main goal is to make profit which i hope it is they would want to make ppl buy the RAM. $1200 is a lot for ram and they are probably turning out a huge profit selling it for $1200. the 17" is $800 more than the 2.4 and only $400 more than the 2.66. if i were them i would want ppl to buy the 15" and upgrade the ram. now i know that the ultimate would be to buy the 17" AND the Ram upgrade which is why i think they took it down but now ppl know that the new 15" can support it. they wont be able to keep it up for long.

11. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Am I the only one with a MacBook Pro 15" 2.66GHz with 8GB of RAM ???

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

for now maybe but im getting it soon.:cool:

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

No. Sometime in the very near future a small creature will come into your room and steal your "precioussss" :p

14. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

Pika, you have a 2.66 with a full functioning 8gb of ram? can i see screen shots if possible, are there any issues with crashing? and have you actually used all 8gigs to verify it works and isnt capping off at 4gb or 6gb?

15. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

damnit, anyone want to buy my brand new 2.53ghz macbook pro?

16. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

and i really want to find some sort of official concrete info on this, so i called 2 different apple support techs, and spoke with a apple support over chat. and all of them said that it had to be an error, and the ONLY laptops that will support 8gb is the 17 inch(i know 2.66 and 2.93 users say that its working on theirs), they said that there never has been an update changing that. so i dunno. but if its true that2.66/2.93 can go 8gb i will sell my machine.

anyone want a brand new 2.53ghz ubmbp? lol, final cut studio and adobe creative suite 3.

17. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I just talked to tech support about my 15 in 2.93 at owc and got the same report it will show up the 8mgs but will not work as 8mgs . bummer

The issue is and folks are just not understanding this it will show up in the about this Mac but no one I have seen test it against a 6mgs chip to see if there is actually any improvement on a Ram hungry program like Photoshop. I have 6mgs in my box now and in testing you can see the improvement over the 4mgs but I have yet to see scores on 8mgs and I bet there the same as 6mgs or worse since it is a conflict on the system. Just because it says it does not mean it is actually addressing it. Big difference there

18. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Don't forget to share the link...........he he

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Wait.. what is an mgs??

Anyway, the earlier reports on the 15" unibody mbp 2.4/2.53GHz models show that it will take 8GB of RAM and it will show under about this mac. But the problem is that the mbp can only utilize 6GB of RAM out of the 8GB. Also if you try to go over the 6GB of RAM say in virtualization of vmware fusion it will crash and cause errors.

Anyway seems that one person on these threads has a 15" with the 2.66GHz running 8GB of RAM and seems legit.

20. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

i only have one arm today which the left arm i separated really badly and cannot lift to type. been screwing me up all day . yes i meant gbs. :)

21. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

i just checked the link this morning, and the picture that is supposed to be a Macbook pro is a cardboard shipping box, i dont know what the relevance of that is here, but figured id share since im wasting time at work.

P.S. oh i am going to wait a little while longer to see if 8gbs ever comes to the 2.53ghz mbp, so not selling it just yet. if it doesn't soon then i will. Because im still not sure it apple officially has the 2.66/2.93 models at 8gbs yet.

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Anyone wanna lend me their 15" UMBP? I can test it with my 8GB in my current 17" UMBP... oh man, I don't think I can use anything less than 8GB now.. I'm using:

U: 5.34GB
    F: 2.40GB

Wooooo. and I still have 1GB swap =[

23. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Man that is tempting. I have 6gbs in this 15 now and just may buy the 4gb chip and wing it.

24. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I'm gonna be seriously pissed if my 2.4 GHz unibody MBP can't use 8gig of ram when a 2.53 or a 2.66 GHz model can.