The Absolute BEST way to see if your screen is defective

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bns1201, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I don't think it would be worth putting that picture on my iPod. ;)

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yup, I gots it. Not as bad as once it was, though.

Gah, my music stopped. Darn Safari bugs.

3. dragonguy83 macrumors member

wow i got it too that is the worst i have had it though

4. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

yeah that is pretty bad! I wasn't sure if I had the problem but now I know I do . Is it possible that the more you use it the worse it gets?

5. plasticmoz macrumors regular

Excellent post -- this will tell you if you have it, even if you have only slight symptoms based on other viewing. If you can't make out the image while looking straight on at this in the browser (no angling allowed) then you have an issue.

6. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

you can make out the image either way but if your screen is messed then it will appear as a negative

7. plasticmoz macrumors regular

Well, obviously -- by make out it's implied you can actually see an accurate reproduction of the original image.

8. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

Well the thing is, it already looks like a negative, the image is so dark. (similar to the azereus logo-- pisses me off)

9. nandasunu macrumors newbie

10. cmuench macrumors member

That sucks. I got it too. and I bought it at best buy. hopefully they will take it back.

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

What's strange is on mine, that picture seems to show that I have the screen problem (albeit slightly)...but I've tried a bunch of different videos and they all seem fine to me. I guess I'll try to return it...who knows, I think my screen looks great otherwise, so if it's got the defect well then an unaffected screen must look even better!

12. colto macrumors regular

I am the same way! Makes me wonder if the picture does similar things on other screens.

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Looking at it on a laptop/lcd monitor first. It's very dark, almost negative itself, so you need to know what it's supposed to look like before making any judgenents.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

very dark, almost negative is quite differnt from negative. I checked it on my very bad LCD/HDTV, still can see jay-Z rather than a ghost on Touch.

15. magicjames92 macrumors regular

i can see mine from a slant but not straight on- its not green though, so is it still a bad screen?

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

we all can see it with an odd angle, but thats not what you normal do when watching a movie (landscape). also the screen display should be close to what you see on your computer.

17. bns1201 thread starter macrumors member

when i look at it on my computer...his hands are white...but on my ipod they're black.

edit:
    [​IMG]

18. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

Are there actually good screens out there or are they all bad. I think the people that say they have a good screen just don't know the difference. All I know is I can't listen to music while surfing the internet and my screen has the same black problems everyone else is having. I guess I'll take it back to best buy before 30 days is up but I'm not too sure I'll even get a better one.

19. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

My iPhone has the negative black screen issue too... Not sure if I'll take it back in or just live with it.

20. iketeru macrumors member

i went to my local Apple store tonight and played with the iPod for about 20 minutes... i looked up this thread and sure enough i could tell the blacks were really messed up. and i finally knew what people meant by the optimal angle being tilted back and left.

i compared the same photo on the iPhone, and to get the same negative effect i had to tilt the screen to an extreme angle (nearly 90 deg).

now i'm not quite sure what to do when i get mine this week (shipped today), maybe i'll wait and see if they've fixed this issue already... but i doubt it. :confused: it's too bad... using safari was really fun, i could use something like that.

21. aviationwiz macrumors regular

I appear to have the issue a little bit on my iPod, but no where near as bad as bns1201 has it.

To get a picture as bad as his, I need to tilt it down and to the right, or to get it perfect, upwards and to the left a bit, which is a more natural viewing angle for me anyways.

In short, it's not a critical problem on mine. This is a 16GB from the Apple Store at the Mall of America on Thursday.

22. jbgordon macrumors newbie

An easy way to tell if your screen is good or bad that doesn't involve anything but the software on the phone is to hold down the on/off button until the red "slide to turn off" screen appears. Then, look to see if the calculator, settings, and clock home buttons appear dimmed, as they should, or like negatives, meaning the screen has an issue. On my screen the icons look negative but tilting shows them to be dimmed, which is a problem because I shouldn't have to tilt the iPod to see the best picture.

23. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

i cant see his face or hands. I just see the words of the albulm cover, rest of album pic is black . Im on my iPod Touch now. Do i have a bad screen? Or do i need to sync the pic to my iPod? OMFG. I got a defect?!!!

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

$400 for a defective device and you'll "live with it"? No wonder Microsoft and Dell are rich corporations....