The Adobe people might not be that lazy after all!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1881, Feb 10, 2010.

1. 1881 macrumors newbie

I just tried Flash 10.1 beta and it solved the overheating issue that I had when watchin videos on my 06 17" C2D! No more blow-dryer background sound when I'm watchin videos on the net anymore! Who needs Arrandale? :p

2. 1881 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also the CPU usage when way down! Nice! Now I can wait for Sandy Bridge!

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The one leads to the other, lower CPU usage results in less power drawn, thus less heat is created and therefore radiated.

Also you can edit your posts by clicking the [​IMG] button, as consecutive posts by one user are not really welcome.

4. Picho macrumors member

Lazy????? Naahhh. They decided to take 14 years to fix it, they did it on purpose, just because they could.

Adobe is a shame of a company, they don't deserve the "success" that have and well, karma's a bitch...

People are realizing this now and it might be too little, too late.

5. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

awesome! your thread reminded me that I wanted to do this. I tested with a 720p HD youtube video.

Before 10.1 beta 2 --> 64.7% CPU usage
    After 10.1 beta 2 --> 34% CPU usage

that is great.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If this is really true, this looks like a very significant improvement in performance! Thanks for checking this out!

7. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

So with all the criticism Adobe seems to be doing something and what about all the years they didn't? Sounds pretty lazy to me. With all the talk about people wanting to replace Flash altogether this is more of a preservation act by Adobe IMO.

I don't really care what Adobe does at this point because time and time again we are reminded about what happens when one company dominates a market. Once the pressure is off Adobe to improve we will see this happen again.

8. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Apple is more than partly to blame for Adobes 'laziness'. Linux and Windows have much better functionality between the the core driver system and the application control than OSX. Even the Flash 10.1 beta doesnt use GPU accerleration on Macs - its Apple faults, not Adobes. Apple wont open up the libraries neccessary.

9. vant macrumors 65816

Funny how this is happening after the iPad flash debacle.

10. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

The fact that the Flash 10.1 beta shows improvements just proves that Adobe is capable of making a better performing Flash for Mac despite any obstacles. Adobe chose not to do anything about it until now.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

By Apple opening certain libraries, Mac OS X would also open itself up to more vulnerabilities.

And as you can see from the current beta, it even works without those libraries.

12. felt. macrumors 6502a

so what you're telling me is that flash is akin to an abusive relationship, you know its bad for you yet you keep coming back? :D

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Adobe is just making a desperate effort now, after all this time, because when the iPad was presented, they could see the writing on the wall.

Goodnight Flash.

14. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

You must be such a hoot at parties.

15. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

I lol'd

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1. Adobe used to be a great software company until they started having no competition, now they are a crapware company.

I can't even begin to tell you the crazy amount of problems Acrobat alone causes. Their Master collections have suffered as well since CS2 (CS2 being the last good/rock solid release IMO.)

17. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Then why does it run crappy on Windows machines too? Explain THAT!!!

19. LinMac macrumors 65816

On Windows and (maybe?) Linux.

GPU acceleration isn't necessary for low CPU usage on OS X. VLC, Mplayer, and even Quicktime/Quicktime X can play h.264 video at reasonable CPU levels while Flash has struggled with this for a long time.

Why does Adobe need access to APIs that the rest of the players don't?

I'm not going to defend Apple here. They should be improving the GPU acceleration availability and the hardware capability usage a lot more than they are (maybe in 10.7?), but Adobe can't put the blame squarely on Apple.

Adobe writes crap software. It's well known and it's unacceptable.

20. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

I agree flash causes alot of problems but how can you say they produce crap software. What about Photoshop and After Effects? Two great programs which I first used on Mac OS tiger.

21. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

It should be noted that Flash wasn't originally an Adobe product, they acquired it as part of Macromedia back in 2005...the problem is, they then did absolutely nothing with it until the past few months.

22. LinMac macrumors 65816

I don't think it matters if it was acquired or not. 5 years is more than enough time to get it working with full 64bit capability and next to no excess CPU usage.

Instead we have Flash 10.1. What a joke.

23. Cali3350 macrumors regular

It doesnt. In comparison the the windows or Linux versions of flash OSX is a joke.

Also, im NOT saying Adobe isnt feeling heat due to Apple, but realize this beta came out well before all of the iPad stuff hit the market. This beta came out in December I believe.

24. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

"Apple is a shame of a company, they don't deserve the "success" that have and well, karma's a bitch...

People are realizing this now and it might be too little, too late."

Fixed it for you

25. kyzen macrumors regular

To be fair, without Flash, the web as we know it wouldn't exist. It provided one of the easiest ways to get rich media content to users via the web.

To be even more fair, it's going the way of the dinosaurs :D. It won't be a fast death, I think we'll still see Flash as the platform behind a lot of interactive media websites for awhile yet, but it's going to start seeing some stiff competition from HTML 5, Silverlight, etc. I'm not sure it'll ever go away entirely; but it probably won't be the titan it was over the last ~decade.