Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
*LTD*, if people did want these decisions made by Apple, then why does the Jailbreak exist? Why does the hackintosh exist? Why does this theming and other system changing software keep cropping up?

And don't say it's a minority that do stuff like that. It so isn't.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why does the hackintosh exist? Why does this theming and other system changing software keep cropping up?
He denies the existence of the hackintosh community. Whats funny is that both Linux and Windows has a very strong, vibrant theming community and back in the early days of OSX that was starting to gain traction. The unfortunate thing is apple dropped the hammer, and made it very difficult, by altering some of the settings. While theming for OSX does still exist, its a shell of its former self.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
IBM requires an expensive contract to use their products.

Apple democratizes technology by offering products at a good price that don't need hired help to make it work.

All I wanted to do is send a picture I'd taken to my mother. I think its silly how apple hasn't included one of the most used features on mobile phones today. Piracy risk or not, it's daft.

Ever heard of email?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple democratizes technology by offering products at a good price that don't need hired help to make it work.
Good price? I like apple products but lets cut the BS, apple never sells anything at a good price. There is such a thing as the apple tax.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
So people you know do not have email or MMS? :rolleyes:

People in the US rarely use bluetooth btw.

We use it a lot over here. Or at least most people i know do. And unlike MMS it is free. Most people with non smart phones dont set up email on their device. It is a pain and non user friendly on many non smart phones. Plus the fact that a lot of people out there just use email to join sites etc. Communication with friends is done via text or a call.

speedfreak007

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
*LTD* apple isn't under any threat... They will probably continue to grow. I think the point people (and myself) are trying to make in response to your defensive posts is that apple is not achieving it's full potential by it's restrictions. Apple may be owning the tech Market in America, but in Europe, they have a long way to go as apple products are scarce amongst people. I am actually considered a "posh applefag" amongst my techy friends due to the fact that I am the only person now with two apple products. There is only one more person I know with an apple product and that is a jailbroken iPhone 3GS.

Apple is good, but the restrictions are making them unpopular.

dude in what kind of ****** corner of the EU do you live? I live in Belgium and almost everybody has an iPod. iPhones are very popular in countries like France, the Netherlands,... And Mac computers have a status of a very, very good computer, but a bit pricy. But everybody who wants to spend much money on a computer buys a mac

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
This old tired conversation all over again.
Simple: if the Apple ecosystem pisses you off that much, just don't buy Apple's products. There's a large choice out there.
The OP is like asking Usain Bolt why doesn't he play American Football rather than run 100m.

johannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
This old tired conversation all over again.
Simple: if the Apple ecosystem pisses you off that much, just don't buy Apple's products. There's a large choice out there.
The OP is like asking Usain Bolt why doesn't he play American Football rather than run 100m.

Also Simple: If you don't like the conversation, why chime in with inane analogies? There's a large choice out there (of conversations).

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
*LTD*, if people did want these decisions made by Apple, then why does the Jailbreak exist? Why does the hackintosh exist? Why does this theming and other system changing software keep cropping up?

And don't say it's a minority that do stuff like that. It so isn't.

A lot of things "exist." Desktop Linux "exists" as well. This exists as well:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qT-kf8quf0A/SfKknofHrRI/AAAAAAAACzM/j7i3fmnmC4Q/s400/mailbox17.jpg

So does this:

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/10/08/body-mouse-by-chris-lomaka/

Doesn't mean there's anything to recommend them nor that people are bothering to use them in any appreciable numbers worth paying attention to.

Most consumers don't do any sort of customizing, tweaking, hacking.

Get a grip, already. The hackintosh "community" is especially unimportant. It makes up what, 0.001% of the market? You're talking about installing OS X onto non-approved hardware, hacking it to make it work, and then having to maintain the updates and make them work as well. It's worse than running Linux.

Psystar and others tried this in the market and no one bought their garbage. What they did was also illegal, in case you forgot.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The simple fact that Windows Phone 7 has sold out in the UK (article here and thread here) which is a very customizable phone OS proves your theory wrong.

Keep drinking your cool-aid *LTD*. I like Apple products but at least I don't have such a brash view on anything non-apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most consumers don't do any sort of customizing, tweaking, hacking.
You're wrong on this. Since you don't have a phone that is very customizable, you're ignorant of how popular the widgets, themes and other apps that are available for android.

Win7 phones are purported to be just as customizable. I've yet to get my hands on one and play with it, so I'll take their word for it. Either way, consumers like choice, and consumers like making adjustments. don't apply your closed pre-conceived notions of customization to apply it to non-apple fans.

Get a grip, already. The hackintosh "community" is especially unimportant. It makes up what, 0.001% of the market? You're talking about installing OS X onto non-approved hardware, hacking it to make it work, and then having to maintain the updates and make them work as well. It's worse than running Linux.
I downloaded one application, installed my purchased SL disk in the drive and proceeded to load OSX on my hackintosh. I'm not sure how or where the "hacking" that was needed, since I simply installed osx.

I also updated my hackintosh up to 10.6 without any issues or worries. You're closed minded notion on the hackintosh community is ignorant at best. Besides, who cares what percentage they make up. Its a vibrant community helping people out. You seem to have a hair across your butt when it comes to someone running OSX on a non-apple computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.