The Apple Hype is wearing thin

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gagoots, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Gagoots macrumors regular

I'm a big Apple supporter. This is my second imac, back in the day I had a 9600, I own an apple TV and also a (broken) 3g. I have alway been willing to get in on the launches, especially like now when I absolutely *need* the phone.

It seems to me that Apple enjoys driving the early adopters crazy and believe that it feeds the hype, and to an extent it does.

Except now with all of the issues and jerking around this time (not to mention apple driving up my e-book prices with their greed to get into publishing), the shiny wax has come off the Apple a little bit.

Am I saying that I am going to stop buying their products now as some kind of protest? No. I am a realist and I still love the products.

What I *am* saying is that I love the company a lot less than I used to, and they're starting to resemble some of the other corporations that jump the shark when they achieve success (cough, cough:Starbucks.).

Apple has taken one step closer to becoming "them" and I don't think they can really go back. So I've got one eye out for the next Apple.

Oh, and for people thinking that they will be able to swap a black iPhone for a white: think again.

The bean counters know people will try and do this, and it will not be economically advantageous for Apple to allow it. SO don't look for any whites in the next 30 days. My bet would be more like 31 or 32 days.

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

but it's all so MAGICAL!!!

[​IMG]

But yeah, the non-stop hype and fervor does wear pretty thin. At some point they are actually going to miss the mark and it will be interesting to see the reaction.

The white iPhone games are a little tiresome. If it's going to be two or three months, then I'll probably get a Nexus One and try Android, but if it's two or three weeks, then I'll order it and hold off for the "next greatest" GSM Android handset running Gingerbread.

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I could not agree more. I really like Apple, but I'm repulsed by the pompous jerk that heads the company, his obscene arrogance and the "Magical & Revolutionary" BS.

Although I've got a new iPhone 4 on it's way, it may be the last iPhone I buy. Currently I also have a Droid on Verizon and am on the list for a Droid X. The Android OS is maturing nicely and "Froyo 2.2" is terrific. The current speculation is when the X is released it will either come with 2.2 or be upgradeable. The large display is the real attraction as I do a lot of web work from my phone when traveling each week.

Get ready Cupertino ... you're about to truly be challenged...:)

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah... that's my logic as well.

Even if they solve whatever manufacturing issues they have, they'll hang on to them for a few days to avoid the returns fiasco.

After a frustrating trip to the store yesterday re: a problem with my 3GS, I am also starting to grow weary of Apple's tactics.

We had to return our iPad because the WiFi-only version claimed to have "assisted GPS." This was slang for Buddha knows what, because it had no GPS that was of any practical value. Sooo... we sucked up the restock fee and got a 3G iPad.

That sucked.

In any event, I am mellowed to the whole "hype" thing. I'll buy whatever they have that I wind up liking. It's not the same as launch day 2007. THAT was something else.

Mainstream? Maybe that's it. When you're aiming for a target that has lower expectations (the general population who maybe aren't into all things Mac) there's bound to come a time where the product OR the service (or both) suffers.

I feel, with this launch, it's a little of both.

And that's too bad. :(

5. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Ahem...

wat.

6. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

The 14-day return policy pretty much guarantees that the white iPhone won't become available until at least 14-days after the pre-orders are delivered and there is some sort of general retail availability of the black one.

I assume this is more of Apple's marketing department trying to extend the launch over a month or two rather than a matter of days (they'll get a nice second-launch pop with the white iPhone)... something they've done with great success for the iPad... but whatever, their job is to make their stockholders happy and they do seem to be happy.

7. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Sorry but this picture is hilarious. Almost spit water all over my screen. :D

8. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

You sir, WIN THE INTERWEBS!

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It may be wearing thin to a few, but if the post rate on MR is any gage, it's not wearing thin to most or they hate the BS but have to have it and hype wearing thin be damned.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

White iPhone end of summer...

and after 6 or so months of crappy service...

the Ver-iPhone appears and we all sell & switch.

I think I'm gonna buy some AAPL around end Sept/October. :D

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

This is really the most amusing part of the op's plight, and sums up how many Apple fans feel. Basically sure Mr. Jobs go ahead and get the lube out, while I'm not happy with what you are doing, I'll only be more than happy to bend over for you!

12. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

It's definitely worn thin for me. I don't give a toss what is available when as I can wait, but I do give a toss about the correct information being available and this ridiculous closed mouth policy regarding what is going to be available when and how you can get hold of the damn thing is childish and a bit pathetic. What the hell is the problem with saying actually, no white phones until 1st Sept and PAYG at the end of July, or whatever? No, they'd rather say nothing. Yes I can see they love the hype but really, they've pushed me past hype and now I don't give a toss. I love my 3Gs, I'll replace it when Apple stop arsing about if that ever happens.

13. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I'm glad it will be over the 14 or 30 day wait period for white iPhones if true. Why should Apple have to take back a person's phone who buys black knowingly they are just going to return it when white comes out. Why can't someone just wait for the white phone instead. Life will go on while they wait.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Aren't you supposed to be asleep? You're dreaming. Wake up.

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I agree with you, OP.
    It's too bad Apple and Starbucks are my two favorite things!

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It has mostly "worn thin" for those who are not getting their iPhone 4:eek:

For those who are, it is all good and we will have our phones tomorrow!:p

17. JohnH macrumors newbie

I agree... On June 15th I spent 6+ hours and finally ordered 2 iPhone 4's as upgrades to iPhone 3G's for myself and my son who is on the same account as I am.

First I tried twice over several hours to order one phone on my number and one on his number but his number was not recognized by Apple's system as being on my account.

So, finally, I ordered the second iPhone 4 using my number. Which went through with no problem... and I got the order acknowledgment emails saying everything was fine for both phones...

Even so, for the last few days, I tried to call the Apple Customer Service number to verify that everything was OK but the Apple customer service system kept saying it was too busy to handle my call and kept asking me to call back later.

So, last night on the Web I noticed that Apple cancelled my second order with out asking... Today I received an email saying...

"We were unable to complete the authorization process for your iPhone order. As a result, we had to cancel your iPhone order. To complete the purchase of your iPhone, please visit an Apple Retail Store or an AT&T company-owned retail store...

So, I called and, after 2 hours, I actually talked to a live Apple employee! I explained what had happened and she replaced my order for the second iPhone 4 with a new delivery date of between July 15th and 19th. She also said that I should send an email to applestoreinfo@apple.com and request an expedited date because the delay is due to an Apple error.... you think!

So I did... am not holding my breath...

Even if Apple does expedite my new order, It will take some time to regain my confidence in Apple... This is just NOT the way customers should ever be treated...

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

haha, wait, do people really think they can buy a black phone and swap it for a white one later?

19. Gagoots thread starter macrumors regular

Are you proffering that when customers have problems with companies they become unsatisfied? You're a genius!

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

People still think the iPhone is still hype?

At which phone do you say, "maybe the iPhone itself isn't that bad" instead of saying "all hype all fanbois all teh time"?

2G, 3G, 3G, 4 or 5?

21. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

I'm there with you - i still believe the iphone has a stronger OS but will no longer be the hardware leader - too many android phones to take that throne.

Also any one else irked by the 'retina display'? leave to apple to make up new ways to call a higher res lcd screen.

i have to say i'm glad this site is pretty mixed with fanboys and people in the middle of the road like myself.

22. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Just received a call from my local Best Buy where I pre-ordered and they told me they got less then 20 units in, so my pre-order will not be filled and I will have to wait. Personally I think this is partly their fault but I think Apple handled this i4 release so piss poor that I am thinking about cancelling my pre order, keeping my 3GS and looking at something else, I really dont understand what was so hard for them to organize this whole thing, I am really really really pissed off and I am glad I did not waste hours online or trying to get my hands on one.

This goes to show you just how much of a Dog and Pony show they make us go thru and I am not a follower, so this 3GS could be my last unless I get a call by Thursday that I am getting my i4.

This whole thing is a Joke and if they planned this what a crappy thing to do to such loyal followers.

23. aserafin macrumors member

+1

24. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

+1!

25. Gagoots thread starter macrumors regular

Don't get me started on Starbucks. They went from a quality coffee shop, to employing McDonalds-type push button baristas who call my drink: EXpresso.

Dummed down for us dumb Americans.