The Apple light

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VietlOtUs, Feb 25, 2009.

1. VietlOtUs macrumors member

This is silly.... is there a program which helps you change the color of the apple?

It is white right now as I have the lid of my MacBook open.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It can't be done. You would need to physically give the entire backlight of the screen the ability to change to a different color, which would ruin color correctness on the display itself.

Either that or put a papier-mache filter behind the paneling every time you wanted a different color.

3. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

By program do you mean software?
    Which macbook do you have?

4. VietlOtUs thread starter macrumors member

I am using the 13inch, white.

I was just wondering cuz I downloaded this program for my Blackberry, it allows me to change the color of the ball.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

One is a computer, the other is a phone... :confused:

6. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I seem to remember seeing one once with a tinted film stuck over it to give it a coloured appearance. There won't be a program to do it though because it is simply a white light.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

All you can do is physically change the color of the logo by taking apart the screen assembly and adding a colored film. There are several threads on this as well as websites that offer the service, if you look around or do a search.

Good luck.

8. VietlOtUs thread starter macrumors member

I was just giving a reference to the phone..... :p

I don't dare to open the laptop. :D

thanks guys

9. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

The screen is actually really simple to open;

You peel off the bezel by inserting a credit card behind where it says MacBook and work in a clockwork direction being careful around the iSight. There are then 14 screws holding the screen in place, for which you need a small Philips screwdriver (between size 3 and 4 small). Make sure that the Sleep Magnet does not get lost when you lift the screen downward (as if you were closing it, only sans the case. You can then cut around and peel off the vinyl covering with a craft knife, and tape down some coloured acetate.

Putting the screen back together is a little fiddly, and it is easiest if you balance the MacBook so that the top case is flat against the work surface. Lay the screen back into the case, making sure to reinsert the Sleep Magnet into its grove, and then screw her back up.

On the reverse of the bezel are some small grey clips. These need to be carefully prized off and then inserted into their grooves. Then, place the bezel over the front of the screen, and start to clip it back in starting with the large clips at the base. Voila, job done.

My BlackBook sports a very tasty green Apple logo now :cool: See it here

THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Just because your thread is bigger than his doesn't mean you have to be all :confused:. The question isn't *that* crazy.

11. harry454 macrumors 6502

yeah its not possible only way is with the filter method

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you could color it with a Sharpie…

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

or place a sticker on top of it....

seriously, i'd rather have a crocked sticker on it than void my warranty.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive been trying to find some "transparent sticker material"
    You could get a die cut sticker to the exact size of the logo and just stick it on top.
    Warranty still in tact and it wouldnt be hard at all to frequently change the color.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No it wouldn't, I've been looking and found the right material, the problem is I want a awesome picture/design on the sticker.

16. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm going for the classic rainbow Apple design when I can get around to it. I found some printable window decal sheets at an office supply store and just need to get the dimensions right for the logo (gonna take a bit of experimenting). I'm also going to put a second, clear piece of the decal material on top of the printed one to prevent smudging (a suggestion I came across from some guy's flicker account).

I may also make a biohazard or radioactive symbol too... just to see how it would look.

17. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Whats this material and where have you found it?

18. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

it's probably vinyl? i'd say that's the best option out there. if you can find a company to cut custom stencils for you you might just have something.

hmm..i see a business in this? haha.

19. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I've thought about vinyl but will the light penetrate it?

20. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

transparent vinyl will do the trick. i believe you may be able to buy it by the roll.

21. osin macrumors 6502

If you do a search you will find out that this is possible only on Blackberry Pearl. No other Blackberry has this function. Why? Only because Pearl has extra LED lights installed around the trackball, where white is a default. And the program you have turns on the other (3) LED on separately to give you different colors of the trackball...

So controling the light of the Apple would be possible by adding LED lights...

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Its the plastic stuff that you can use to laminate stuff. Not sure if its vinyl, but it sticks well and give me the transparency I need.