The Apple Watch Price ****-Fit Thread

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JayLenochiniMac, Mar 9, 2015.

1. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The biggest collective ****-fit in the history of Apple-versus-the-standard-tech-industry ****-fits has officially begun.

Sport
    38mm $349
    42mm $399

Stainless Steel
    38mm $549-1049
    42mm $599-1099

Edition
    From $10,000

Discuss.

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

With the exception of the edition model (which I am not the market for) I was pretty close on my guess. Although I am surprised that there was no mention of separately sold bands.

3. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

so i take it the sport won't have sapphire crystal. must only be on the steel models. of course, they didn't bother mentioning the one thing i was interested in knowing.

4. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Cheaper than I expected by a long shot!

Cannot wait!!

6. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Sport and Regular are priced fairly, but $10,000 is wayyyy too much for a product that will be outdated.

7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

$549 is outright outrageous!!!! I don't care who you are. That's over $200 more than the Gear S that doesn't even need a phone to work. Doesn't even have a keyboard..NO!!!!!

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

SS model is $50 more then I guessed. I don't even remember what I guessed for the Edition but I really didn't care about it. I was spot on with the Sport and that is most likely the model I will get.

9. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

The stainless steel models are priced pretty much what I expected. The starting price of the Edition models are a little bit higher than I thought it'd be, but I'm not at all surprised.

Gruber is going to claim victory, even though he was totally off on the SS models.

10. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I guess the question I would have is why I am paying $200 more for steel and sapphire? Those don't really add much to the cost of the device. Forget paying $9700 more for gold.

11. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I can live with $200 more for SS and Sapphire. Hate the timing though. It cuts too close to a 3 week vacation I will be on so I may have to wait unless I get quickly into the queue A MONTH FROM NOW. ACKKKKKKKK

12. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

We've known for a fact since September that the Sport watches will only have an ion-infused glass—this has been on Apple's website.

13. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I know, the extra month wait really blows.

14. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

I was fully expecting the Apple Watch (stainless steel) to start somewhere between $750 and $1000, so I'm actually pretty okay with it.

I'm never going to get an Edition anyway, so I don't care if the pricing is outrageously in line with traditional watch prices. Apple's aiming high with that, but it doesn't affect my life one bit.

15. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Apple watch was cheaper then I expected, and I thought they would eat the size tax. Must overall, I'm pretty happy.

Two Apple watches for us and as many editions as I can get to resell. #

16. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

We have known that since September...

Sport has aluminum and glass, watch has steel and sapphire.

17. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Has this not been on Apple.com for months? Ion-X Glass for the Sport.

18. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I am betting you are actually more correct than you realize right now. That $549/$599 is not going to include the band most want. Most will want the combos that will price it in the $700-$1099 range.

19. Deanster macrumors regular

SS is right where I expected for the base model, I'm a little surprised at the $1099 for (presumably) the Black/Steel Link SS model - I would have expected/hoped them to come in solidly under the $1K mark for that one.

That pushes it right on 3x the Sport model, and just short of 2x the base SS model's price - too much upgrade for bracelet+black for me, as much as I love DLC-coating.

Going to be a VERY tough call on the Sport vs. Base SS for me, though I'll probably cave in and get the SS in the end.

20. fousfous macrumors regular

21. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i can't for the life of me figure out what the 4 ****'s stand for in the title?

:confused:

(i'm being completely serious here.....)

22. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

It starts with s and ends with t.

From Gruber:

"When the prices of the steel and (especially) gold Apple Watches are announced, I expect the tech press to have the biggest collective ****-fit in the history of Apple-versus-the-standard-tech-industry ****-fits. The utilitarian mindset that asks “Why would anyone waste money on a gold watch?” isn’t going to be able to come to grips with what Apple is doing here. They’re going to say that Jony Ive and Tim Cook have lost their minds. They’re going to wear out their keyboards typing “This never would have happened if Steve Jobs were alive.” They’re going to predict utter and humiliating failure. In short, they’re going to mistake Apple for Vertu."

23. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

No: I expected a starting price that high, with the bands costing significantly more. Gruber made mention that the link bracelet could push a $1000 Watch to a $2000 purchase. If the Watch with a Link Bracelet is just over a grand, that's actually a good thing.

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

i hope it flops to give apple a reality check. i wonder what their goal in sales is. i cant see many < 25 year olds getting one considering how much the iPhone already costs, add the first Watch that looks fairly decent and you are looking at something like $1.500