The Apprentice. BBC One.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chrismcfall, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Anybody watching this season? I am, and It's very good so far. Tasks have been good so far as well. Well, last nights was an ok episode I guess. Bit of a cockup with Adam's team, labeling wise. That, and Adam sitting around in the suit for a while is one of the reasons they lost. And of course Sophie, Who couldn't be bothered to sell! Anyone want to talk about it then?

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

I'm watching it and enjoying it so far. Not seen last nights yet, but I've got it recorded. Did see on the BBC news site who was fired last night by accident though, so that might spoil watching it a little, but I'm sure it will still be entertaining.

3. Chrismcfall thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh do watch it, It's great. Boardrooms one of the best so far:)

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

That sounds interesting! I think so far this series, there hasn't been a week where everyone has stood up for themselves and laid into other people in the boardroom so it'll be good if that's what happened! I should be able to give it a look tonight.

I think it starts to get better when there are less people because you see more of them all. There seems to be people still in it who we've hardly seen yet.

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I can't remember the name of the woman in charge of the labelling (Natalie is it?) but I think she should have been fired really. I wouldn't be buying any food where the seller had gone out of their way to tell me it wasn't natural. To be fair though Adam and Sophie didn't really do all that well either.

I've been finding myself to quite like Tre, he annoyed me at first but I am coming around to him. I think he is the only one I would want to win so far, but I imagine that will change.

6. Chrismcfall thread starter macrumors 6502

I liked Sugar's rant at Sophie in the boardroom. And then Sophie and the other girl ganging up on Adam on the boardroom. Tre's selling of the Chocolate lollies to "Fat People" was ace. A little bit :eek: though.

7. dcv macrumors G3

I've been watching it, good series so far. A few "WTF" moments over the past few weeks though: A quantum physicist estimating that 200+ litres of milk would be required to make a day's sales from a mobile cart? :rolleyes: A product designer not giving any input to a product design challenge and then blaming his laziness on the fact that he was missing his kids? :rolleyes: The girls' team deciding to make money out of face painting and kissograms? :rolleyes: Oh please.

I'm sure that Katie will be in the final; she stands out as having better leadership/organisational skills than the rest. The others are yet to make much of an impression.

8. Chrismcfall thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm preferring S2 so far, for comedy value. Syed Vs. Paul. And just Jo in general:) I hope theres a big task soon, like the one where they to sell things, and one team had Petrol cans, and the other had Lights? And of course, the used car task.

9. gavd macrumors 6502a

Well I've just finished watching last nights episode and I can see why Sophie was fired. I think Natalie could have been fired but Sophie's undoing was herself and her morals.

If it wasn't for that, then I think Sir Alan would have fired Natalie for the labelling issue and the fact that she tried to lie her way out of it.

Good episode though, and I did enjoy the boardroom as they all seemed to have plenty to say.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Compared to the old series, it's rubbish. I read somewhere Alan Sugar wanted it a little more serious, but they have idiots on the show that are seemingly there for entertainment value only! Don't understand why they did that.

It's alright and I'll watch it. But I'll be thinking about Miriam and Sayid and co. :eek: Sorta like how Big Brother started oh-so well and is now just a freak show.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ratings, pure and simple. They've been selected on their looks and entertainment potential, not for sparkling business ability.

I find The Apprentice entertaining enough, but I don't fool myself for a minute that the people we see on the show are the brightest young business minds the country has to offer – the top businessfolk of the future are out there right now starting their own businesses and using their skills in the real world, not wasting their time on a reality TV show flogging lollies to fat blokes at a zoo in the hope they'll get a job working for someone else.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I don't think that anybody with a promising business career would apply to be on the apprentice. It's pretty high risk for what could potentially be a low return. If you get through to the final 12 you have to quit your job with only a slim chance of winning (about 1 in 12 lol) and you are only guaranteed that £100,000 pay cheque for your first year, then you could be back on what you were earning before in some crummy sales job at Amstrad (not my idea of a great job). Michelle Whatsherface, last years winner, even quit before the first year was out.

I think Ruth Badger has made a few pennies mind you...

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

She's got a book out about how she became a successful businesswoman. No, really.

14. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Actually, by all accounts she was pushed. Sugar has openly said that it wasn't working out for her there.

And that was before Syed got her pregnant… (That sadly ended in a miscarriage.)

Anyway, I've given up on this series. I enjoyed the first series as although gimmicky it was entertaining and did seem to have some genuinely talented people in it. Once it got big though, you were always going to get some real chancers in there who only wanted to build up their profile. Series 2 was this, and while still entertaining wasn't a patch on the first. I doubt anyone watching it has anything other than bad impressions of all but about three candidates. That's why I stopped watching it.

15. Chrismcfall thread starter macrumors 6502

Last nights was very good. :) Tre selling the pictures was hilarious!

16. gavd macrumors 6502a

Only got round to watching it last night. Agree that Tre selling the pictures was quite amusing. Mind you, I know I couldn't come out with that much bullsh** and sound as confident as he was...

Think it was probably the right decision to sack Natalie (is that her name?). I agree that Adam can seem like he's being negative, but I actually think he raises a lot of good points and I don't think he actually means to be that way.

17. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

It seems to fortunate for me that it is not on 'Watch again'. :)

18. gavd macrumors 6502a

No real surprise to see Adam go this week...

After asking Sir Alan for the chance to be Team Leader and show what he could do last week, he didn't exactly grasp the chance with both hands. He didn't seem to provide much guidance and make many decisions on anything.

Saying all that, I didn't find him as bad as most of those in the show seemed to!

19. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am surprised there has been no reaction to Katie's behaviour no Wednesday. The way she kept having a go at Adam for being 'northern' and indicating that he was somehow a lesser being than her because of this fact. I am from 'up north' although living down south and I am proud of it. She is a nasty piece of work and I hope she gets screwed over pretty soon.

20. gavd macrumors 6502a

I too hope she gets screwed over pretty soon! I certainly can't see her winning, but the sooner she goes the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'm slightly surprised that someone as supposedly intelligent as she, thinks that someone from the north can't be as clever as her. Surely someone as clever as her should realise it doesn't make any difference where you come from!

21. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Agreed, what a bitch she is.

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed, that annoyed me and quite a few other people who I've discussed the programme with as well. Still, let's be honest – he's not exactly the best advert for what we've got to offer up here, is he?

And let's not forget either exactly where last year's winning apprentice hailed from... ;)

23. joquim macrumors newbie

I'm watching it and enjoying it so far.i enjoy it more importantly because of the unusual task they are been given everytime...i think its a gr8 show and its one of its own kind

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it was on Jonathan Ross last night, Alan Sugar said something along the lines of "Katie upsetting everybody who doesn't live in the south of England", so he knows full well about it. I just don't suppose it matters in business. So long as the deal is done?

But I hate her :p Adam (Paddy McGuinness's long lost twin :D ) always did a good job and somehow ended up in the firing line almost every week. He was ace, I doubt he would have "won" but I would have liked to see him in for a bit longer.

Anyone see the kids show Saira Khan does now? My sister watches it when we have dinner, it's quite silly and she's had a complete personality change.

Or where Ray Mears hails from too ;)

25. gavd macrumors 6502a

I can't see her winning for this reason. I don't think Sir Alan is going to want someone working for him who seems to think they're better than half the country just because of where people come from. I don't expect her to be there much longer.