The ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TDHXXX, Sep 8, 2009.

1. TDHXXX macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm considering getting the 3.06ghz 24" iMac with the upgrade the to the 'ATI Radeon HD 4850', I will be using the computer for graphic design work and playing the odd game or two, I've read that this card causes a lot of freezing though which is making me worried, can anyone confirm whether this is an issue?

On a side note, does anyone know if It's possible to hook a PS3 up to the monitor of this thing?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

ATI 4850 has problems when it came (April-May) but problems are now solved, no freezings anymore.

No, it's not possible to use iMac's screen for PS3, because iMac has only video output not input

3. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, thanks Abbath.

So the ATI Radeon HD 4850 is perfectly fine to use now? What benefits do you think I will notice over choosing this instead of the NVIDIA one?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, it works as it should. ATI is a bit faster card and drivers are wrote by ATI instead of Apple like NVIDIA ones are. It's definitely worth the extra 50$

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

ATI is much better than Nvidia. ATI is faster, and has more stream processors, than Nvidia.

I just got a 4650 HD card for my 4 year old desktop, and it works amazing. I can play Call of Duty on max settings. :)

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

you could get an eyetv and use that as a video in to play ps3, not sure if it would lag though.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not "much" but yes it's better. GT130 outperforms ATI in some things but generally ATI is better. Desktop cards are different thing...

With 480p and 24/7 lag? No thanks! You could buy a monitor for same price as EyeTV

8. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

i got the iMac you are talking about. it plays COD4 on full graphics without breaking a sweat!

9. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

It won't suddenly die on you, like the crappy nvidia chips are prone to do. I'd take ATI over Nvidia any day.

10. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

yeah, but it is possible. Which is what he asked...

11. TDHXXX thread starter macrumors regular

It is possible... but hardly seems worth it.