Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Remember when Mossberg and The Verge were peddling the narrative of the "App Fatigue"?

Good times.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I still buy a surprisingly large number of games. For $1-4, why not? Some of them I don't like, some of them are worth a couple of hours of playtime.

What's funny is that there are older games that I keep coming back to, like Green Fingers, Morocco, Tiny Wings, Field Runners, Lucky Coins, Fling, and of course Spaceward Ho.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Remember when Mossberg and The Verge were peddling the narrative of the "App Fatigue"?

Good times.

The article states that people are downloading fewer apps now.

The ones that they are downloading, and spending money on, are overwhelmingly games.

Which leaves an average of just over $1 a month for all the other categories.

--

Like others, I wish they had broken down app vs in-app purchasing amounts.

I'd also like to know what the most popular FREE apps are, because a lot of the basic needs for adults (banking, communication, calendars, social, etc) are free.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Most of the money I spend in the App Store is for in-app purchases for subscriptions (i.e. Starz, HBO Now). With the exception of Super Mario Run, I have not purchased any game apps on my phone.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I spent that one subscription last year. Evernote. I have a few apps that I have paid for, outside of the Evernote fee, $14 for a calendar app, but most have been free. I don't have any games on my phone.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'd like to see a break down of app vs in app purchases. Most IAP for games are for virtual money (something that targets kids)

Looking through their charts, it's definitely the IAP in the games that are winning. In the last month, the #1 paid app got 500k downloads while the #100 got 20k. Meanwhile, the #1 free app got 10 million downloads. The one at #100 got 1 million.

https://sensortower.com/ios/rankings/top/iphone/us/all-categories

I spent $20 less this last year than in the previous year. I don't mind paying for IAP for a premium upgrade, but won't "subscribe" to apps.

Reactions: kdarling

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
I don't spend any money on apps. Most of my apps are utility ones provided by banks etc.. and some free games for my kids.

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
I must be a rare user. I never purchase applications and I do not have any on my iPhone. Plenty of free applications serve my needs. There are A lot of free applications that are just as good as some of the paid applications from my experience.
I share the same thoughts, never purchased anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.