The Average Joe (or Josephina) IS aware....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jul 1, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

This isn't going to be a thread (or at least this post) about bashing the iPhone 4. It's simply a very very very very small "sample" I've come across in regards to purchase behavior of "the general public."

My mother-in-law is not tech savvy. She can check email and surf the net a bit - but that's about it. Both her daughters (one being my wife) have iPhones. For my mother-in-law's birthday recently, the daughters bought Apple gift cards for her to get an iPhone because their mom had thought it looks fun and that she would like to be able to email on the go (and her other phone was getting "old.")

Last night my wife was on the phone with her and asked her if she had tried to get her phone yet despite the crazy lines. She said she was waiting. She was hearing on the news and had read that the iPhone 4 had a lot of problems and wanted to either wait until she heard they were fixed or she might just get a 3GS. She asked my wife to ask me my thoughts because she knew I had an iPhone 4 and was tech savvy.

Without hesitation I told her (despite the problems I had initially and despite the signal issue I experience time to time) that she should go out and get the i4. Despite the bad press - the phone itself is great and that most likely her phone would be fully functional. And any deficit would most likely go unnoticed by her. And that there's going to be a fix - whatever it is.

I also explained that she should not get the 3GS because it's my belief that technology is moving forward and that despite any small issues now - the i4 is still the latest and it's better to be as current as possible vs going to an older generation which will already be one step behind (referring to OS updates, optimization, etc).

There's also the selfish desire for her daughters and I for her to have the ability to facetime.

She is still waiting. She's not convinced (completely yet anyway) nor are several (4 or 5 according to her) of her friends who are all waiting as well.

I was out last night with a few of my friends who are also not tech savvy. No - they didn't laugh at me for getting the iPhone even though they had heard there were several problems. In fact - they loved looking at the new screen - we facetimed with a friend that couldn't make it and I showed them a little of OS 4. They were eager to upgrade - but all admitted that they were hesitant or scared to right now and that they would be waiting.

Look - I'm not saying this is empirical evidence or that these 8-10 people I speak of are indicative of a trend or whatnot. But for those that think only the geeks or complete techies know about issues or that these 1.7 million phones that were sold is proof that the general public doesn't care - I would disagree.

And yes - I know - "Cool story Bro" lol

2. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

3. zoman504 macrumors regular

I've been witnessing the same thing. For those on here that still think this is a minor issue, one that the "vast majority" probably still does not even know about, you're kidding yourself. In fact, almost everyone I've shown my iPhone 4 to has brought up all the issues they have heard, and none of them check blogs, forums, etc. No, none have laughed at me really, but it does somewhat ruin the effect of showing of your cool new toy. I just hope we get a fix soon, I could careless if Jobs even acknowledges it publicly.

4. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I agree samcraig and it's probably better that people do wait. Although its probably not likely, but if Apple were to see a huge drop off or near halt on sales they would be believe it could be from bad publicity and awareness on the antenna issue. Either way they need to address it.

5. drtimo macrumors member

We who roam through MacRumors do get a skewed view of this problem. Was out with some friends yesterday - two of who have Iphone who did not know about the signal issue and wanted an Iphone 4 badly.

It hasn't really made the big news in the UK I guess.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It doesn't diminish any excitement of me showing or others looking at my new phone. But they are hesitant to make the move themselves. The issues themselves might be minor - but it's, unfortunately for Apple - now a PR issue that needs to be contained.

And as for "ajsnow6234" reply. Umm - I already "cool story bro'd" myself. Which makes your post not only silly but makes you look desperate to try and look cool. Be original.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Good point. I should add that I am in the US and so are my friends and family of whom are referenced in my OP.

8. phrint macrumors 6502

Couldn't you have posted this comment in one of the other hundreds of threads going on right now? Seriously, it's threads like this that dumb down MacRumors and make the forum a nightmare to navigate.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, if I just use the people that were in line with me yesterday to reserve the iPhone 4 for later that day when the next shipment came in, then no one knows about these problems.

10. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

+1. It'd be nice if mods could just start sorting through this garbage and put it in the wasteland. Complete nonsense...

11. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

+1

Just fix it. I don't care if Apple or Jobs even says another word about it.

12. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

When it became "front page news" on many major websites, including the New York Times, CNN, etc, that took it out of the realm of "us geeks" and put it into the han... errr... eyes and ears of a whole bunch more folk, and then word of mouth sortakinda took it from there. I ask friends that I don't even normally discuss tech or computers "Hey, heard about the new iPhone?" and the response almost always is "Yeah, I heard it's got some problems..."

And there you have it.

Guy in the deli that I frequent has an iPhone 3GS that I've helped him with, I saw him yesterday afternoon (he usually raves about how cool the iPad is but can't afford one) and as soon as I saw him I said "You know the iPhone 4 is finally out now, you planning to get one?" and his response:

"Nah, I know a guy that got one, had some problem with the camera and dropped calls, he's replaced it twice already so I'm gonna stick with my 3GS, works fine."

And again, there you have it.

It's a much more well known issue than most of the naysayers would like to admit, even if not every single person having problems is actually speaking up about it in whatever ways they have available.

It's very real, and it's getting worse.

13. lionqueen macrumors 6502

He wanted to make his own thread. This IS a forum, you know. An often negative forum, but a forum just the same. As a newbie I'd be afraid to make ANY thread to be honest - even if I tried to make sure it was thread-worthy, I'm quite sure I'd get "cool story bro"'d or told "who cares" or told to "post it in one of the threads that exist already" or some other rude response.

I'm not sure if you know how hostile this place seems to newbies. I'm still on the fence about if I'm going to stay for good, and it's mostly because of replies like this.

14. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

I don't feel that way, especially since it was samcraig's email to Steve Jobs that caused Jobs to reply:

"Just avoid holding it in that way."

samcraig isn't just any old poster around here, fellas... he's been at this issue since it started, just like me and many others. If you're not interested, or wish to not participate, go for it, but don't slam any of us just because we're sharing info.

That's what needs the moderation: people telling us to drop it, etc. It's a discussion forum, we're discussing it, you're actually trolling up threads by complaining about us pointing out the damned phones aren't working for us.

Move along...

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

A bit of hyperbole there, no? If you don't want to read or click into the thread (I think the thread title was telling) then don't. The forum is a "nightmare" to navigate now? This thread "dumbs down" the site? Ego aside - threads like this don't dumb down the site. People posting "Cool story bro" with nothing to add and those type of comments dumb the site down. But again - you don't like - don't read.

Agreed Aggie. There's really no consensus among the purchasing pattern going on at the moment. Some people just buy the iPhone 4 because they hear it was out and want the latest and greatest. Some people research their purchases and probably have come across the issue in their research. Same is true with any product. There are some that just go and buy things and others who try and find out as much as they can. That doesn't mean they are a geek or tech savvy. It just means that before they plop down some money - they want to know what other people think. Articles, Consumer Reports, Amazon Feedback, whatever...

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Eh, this goes with a lot of things. People will hear about something on the news or see a headline when browsing MSN or something and remember it. Plenty of people who are non-geeks have heard about this issue. Why? Because it has been plastered all over the news and thus reaches all walks of life.

But who cares? Honestly, who cares? Ask Americans about Toyota cars a few months ago. Many would say that they are bad because of out of control acceleration and all that stuff. Did they personally experience that? No, but they heard about it on the news.

What's your point? I don't see one. All you proved is that people watch/read the news. Shocking...

17. neil1980 macrumors 6502

I know someone with a 3G who Isn't tech savy... shes just upgraded to a blackberry due to the signal issue.

I explained to her its a bit of a non issue but shes already ordered it.

Wonder how many have done the same...

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The thread's point was to share information. And to illustrate to those that think no one cares or outside of MR, no one really knows about the issue is false.

And my two stories above "proves" more than just the fact people read the news. It shows that they are NOT purchasing the phone until they hear otherwise. Even after I suggested that it's nothing to worry about.

Sorry you don't see the point as I've enjoyed and enjoy your posts in regards to the launch and have pretty much believed we were on the same wavelength. Perhaps not on this particular strata...

19. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Sky news and BBC news has reported it.
    Not sure abot ITV but I don't really watch that channel ever.

20. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

We are on the same wavelength for most things. However one thing I have always felt is that people are easy to manipulate and coerce. Too many Americans take things at face value and fail to form their own opinions. They hear something on the news or read a headline on some random website and assume it is pure fact. What they fail to realize is that news companies are well aware that sensationalist headlines are more popular and thus try to be as sensationalist as possible. Saying "iPhone 4 is FAULTY!" as the device launches will drum up a lot of press and many people will take it at face value.

It really is that simple.People read/hear a very short sensationalist news story, they believe the story, and thus form opinions on topics simply based on that one story. I see it every day.

Example: My aunt who has a Moto Droid and is not technical savvy at all said of my iPhone 3GS a few weeks ago "That phone can't run multiple things, right?" She had no idea what the benefits of mobile multitasking are, she had no idea why not being able to multitask was bad, however she knew the iPhone couldn't multitask. How? She saw it on TV. The non-geek culture see tech stories about topics that are over their heads and just take them at face value without looking into it more.

21. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

People seem to watch the news and believe they are "informed", with no personal experience and no personal knowledge. This "problem", has been completely blown out of proportion by the media and ill-informed people who think they know. In six months time this will just be one of those stories that anti-Apple folks use a cliche debate topic.

22. phrint macrumors 6502

Ego? You damn well know there are dozens of threads going on right now about the complaints of the iPhone 4 yet your EGO is so big you have to post another one on top of the others to share a stupid point that adds no value to the forum at all. Purely selfish and self-serving. You contribute to the problem.

23. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

"There is no issue."

Sorry, couldn't help it... ;)

24. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I can agree with this and uberamd.

It doesn't matter if people are getting the RIGHT information or not though. If they believe what they are being told (and some at least are) then it affects their purchase decision. So to say this issue - small or not - isn't affecting purchase decisions isn't accurate. I'm not saying YOU said that. I am saying that it's been said. And it's been said that with 1.7 million phones sold - no one seems to care. But again I would say that could be skewed as most of those phones were sold before it hit mainstream media. And I believe I read (I could be wrong) that about 65-70 percent were people upgrading their phones).

Yes - Apple is sold out all over the place. And there was an article today that stated that if there were more phones out of production, who knows how many Apple could have already sold. We'll really never know. Nor will we know how many phones would have sold had this "non issue" hit the mainstream media. But to deny that public opinion has been affected, I believe, is silly.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You misread me, I think. When I said Ego aside - I was referring to my own - not yours.

Again - I didn't trap people into coming into this thread unaware of the subject matter. You had an option to click or not. You chose to click.

And here's something to consider. If people post things that "useless" - rather than posting in the thread which only keeps it up at the top and on the 1st page - people could choose NOT to respond at all and the thread will die and fall off the first page, second page, third page.

But no - it's too important for someone like yourself to try and make an example out of someone's post. And in turn, your post itself contributes to the very problem you're trying to avoid by keeping the thread alive.