The Best Apple Related Accessories at CES 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Au contraire, The Osmo Mobile 2 looks like a great product at an affordable price.

2. synergize macrumors regular

I will be able to wash my X under my new faucet and control the temp of the water simultaneously, cannot wait!

3. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

EXACTLY! What a bunch of crap...

4. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502a

Eriamjh1138@DAN

My glob. What a disappointing bunch of crap.

All of it.

Edit: I didn’t even read/see the other comments when I made mine!

5. B's iPhone macrumors regular

B's iPhone

Some of the smart stuff is way out of line.
    Some of it does catch my interest though.

6. Sill macrumors 6502a

People who think voice-controlled smart everything/anything is the fyootcher.

Watch for:

smart can-openers - they not only open the cans, they read the labels and add calories, keep track of nutritional information. So you don't have to.
    "Ok Proctor-Silex, open my can of tuna."
    "Ok Dave, your tuna will be opened, but first, It has 90 calories, 15 grams of protein, and you should be concerned about your mercury levels."
    "just open the damn can, Proctor-Silex"
    "Ok Dave, we're slowing the main fan."

also,

smart bbq grill lighters - they light the fire while cautioning you against the dangers of char-grilled meats
    smart wall paint - it tells you when its dirty and needs to be repainted
    smart litter boxes - tell you when the litter smells
    smart paper towels - tell you when a towel sheet has become saturated and you need to select a new sheet
    smart grass - it yells at the neighbor kids and tells them to get off of it

7. WBRacing macrumors 65816

Virtually all of this stuff is laughable - a voice controlled shower? Given that quite a few times I have to turned on my hue lights by voice only to find that one of the bulbs in the group gets ignored, would this also mean that once in a while I could find myself getting in to a freezing cold shower?

Whilst I like smart home stuff, right now I will only buy in to plug and play. I am a very, very long way off even considering buying in to equipment that would require a builder as part of the installation.

Honestly, these products are the very definition of solutions trying to problems. Problems that really do not exist IMO.

8. oldtime macrumors 6502

Yeah, I want, like, none of this stuff. Maybe the Hyper hub would be handy if I had a MBP connected to an external display.

9. scotttnz macrumors 6502a

Some of it looks cool, but only really for novelty value. Nothing that makes me want to part with the sort of money they are asking.

I love the look of that Nanoleaf wall, but wouldn’t pay more than a couple of hundred for the whole wall, because I know after a few days of playing with it, the novelty would wear off. Same reason I haven’t bought into hue lights or a drone.

To me, most of the home automation stuff is solutions looking for a problem that, other than niche cases, the ROI isn’t there for me, and I’m not shy about spending money on tech.

10. Soccertess macrumors 65816

hyper drive 8-1 looks sweet. HOWEVER, most of those ports should ALREADY be included on a 2500 laptop!

Can't believe people actually think 4 limited use USB-C reports is acceptable!

11. carloslegarda macrumors newbie

I was actually very interested in this. Main application = Saving water. Second= Saving time.

You don't need to stay at the faucet and wait until water reaches the line you need in a measuring cup. You can put the receptacle under the faucet. Command a liter of water and do something else while the faucet fills it up.

For the shower, you can turn it off while applying soap or shampoo and turn it on, at exactly the temperature you desire, to rinse even with your eyes closed.

I think it's brilliant.

12. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

So much crap we don't need. I'm glad I got into minimalism this year.

13. bbzzz macrumors newbie

Still broken though, mAh doesn't tell you how much storage you are buying, you need to know the voltage too or more simply quote it in Wh.

14. gwaizai, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

gwaizai macrumors regular

gwaizai

How about a smart (ass) kitchen trashcan?

You: "Hey I got my hands full, hurry up and open."
    Can: (disinterested yawn) "PHUUUK UUUUUUUUUU!..."

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

DEAR $DEITY, WHY!?!?! Wouldn't a motion sensor...

Oh, okay. That actually makes sense.

Yeah, that was my thought process as I was reading it. WTF would you use Siri to turn a water faucet on and off, when a motion sensor (in addition to an actual handle) makes a lot more sense. I mean, that brand already has motion sensor and "tap-sensor" faucets. Siri for on/off seemed ridiculous. Then I got to the part about dispensing set amounts ("of liquid"? How about just "of water"?) *THAT* makes sense, if it's reasonably precise. "Siri, pour me half a gallon of water," if it gives pretty close to an actual half gallon, would be great. "Siri, pour me 2 ounces of water" with enough accuracy that it's not going to ruin a recipe by giving you 3 ounces would be awesome.

16. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

welcome to the internet of sh**

it's the future, or something

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I like the shower and the faucet but I don't like that I need to rely on their cloud to use it, why can't I use my cloud.

18. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

CES most interesting stories: power outage, and the Aflac duck. Everything else is junk. Worthless junk.

19. cyberlocke macrumors regular

cyberlocke

Yeah, I kinda want to throw up and the absurdity and laziness of most of this stuff. It's a waste of money, resources, and eventually landfill space in a fruitless attempt to entertain ourselves and (for the sellers) make a buck.

20. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

This is like an Onion article.

They must be kidding.

21. macguru212 macrumors 6502

macguru212

22. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Watch the older BBC sci-fi show Red Dwarf. They occasionally have on an intelligent talking toaster.

23. Fawzi macrumors newbie

It's worth noting that Belkin offers 40% off to registered Wemo users for the Wemo Bridge. This brings the price down to 25$.
    Mine is on its way...

24. Combi06 macrumors newbie

Combi06

25. scott911 macrumors 6502a

helpful tip: dji osmo customer service (even to someone who has only had one for 14 days - ie RETURNABLE) was really really poor.