The Best Apple Related Accessories at CES 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

That Philips stuff is pricey but it works nicely.

Also works with Xfinity Home. (I have the alarm setup)

2. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Is it just me that sees the majority of Homekit devices to be the answers to questions or requirements nobody is asking or requesting. Voice control of shower - really? What is the problem with turning a knob. Multi coloured lighting - sorry not living in a night club. Homekit door lock. I find a modern secure Abus or Ingersoll key and deadlock works pretty well and cannot be hacked by crooks or suffer from a flat battery.......and so on.

3. Amiriteoramirite macrumors newbie

Amiriteoramirite

This column gives a far better explanation than I could ever come up with on why I stopped attending the CES.

4. truthertech macrumors 68000

You don't need an Apple TV to use HomeKit! It works with any iPhone, iPad, etc.

5. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Correct, but can only control your stuff locally but can't see the status or control your devices when out of the house, and without a homekit hub you cannot create schedules.

6. Nunyabinez, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

It's too bad that they are assuming that Apple fans are not in the Echo world.

I bought one Echo Dot before Christmas and now I have six.

The ability of Alexa to control smart devices blows HomeKit and particularly Siri out of the water.

When I buy smart light switches and outlets, all I have to do is teach Alexa a new skill.

With HomeKit, more often than not, I have to buy a whole frikken' hub.

I bought a Chamberlain garage door opener so that I could use it with HomeKit. Only HomeKit fails about 80% of the time. I say "Hey Siri, open the garage door." Half the time nothing happens and I have to open the Smart Q app and the other half of the time Siri says "The garage door doesn't seem to be responding." But the garage door is already in the process of opening.

I really wanted to be a HomeKit guy, but it is more expensive and mostly doesn't work.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    Based on my experience with HomeKit here is what would happen: I say "Hey Siri, turn on the faucet" Siri says, "hmm, something seems to have gone wrong." I set down what is in my hands to manually turn it on and as I reach for the knob the water turns on and Siri says: "I wasn't able to do that. Please try later."

7. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

I'll agree with that. But they're straight up advertising this to the general public which is pretty dumb.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    But you could achieve those functions without the need for the frivolous voice controls and "smart" integration.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

What's funny is Siri HomeKit works perfectly from my phone, but my Apple Watch seems to take about a minute and a half to process any HomeKit requests. Every other Siri request is perfectly fast. But "turn off the lights?" takes forever.

9. kruegdude macrumors 6502

I’d buy the smart grass! lol

10. Tech198, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

Tech198 macrumors G5

The automated faucet looks interesting and so do the hand held Osmo hand hand mobile mount, or the Hyperdrive (8-1 USB-C*also* changing your iPhone). I guess with an adapter u can do this to USB computers as well.

power charging in the sleeve is all good, and more convenient than anything, but it would add to the weight which i think people would favor.
    This would be only good for those eon long trips.. For example i don't bother taking my adapter with me anymore as i make sure my Macbook Pro is charged before i leave.

:cool:

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

There are already apps that do this. Although it sounds like they are trying to go native with it.

What i’m curious about is how their ‘entertainment’ thing works. I think it would be great if it was something where content providers could put the controls into the content via maybe a ‘hidden’ audio track which would be heard by the standard app set in ‘listen’ mode. Syfy did their own sync app for a few shows but if they stop supporting it bye bye goes the fun.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2018 ---
    I’d be interested in those if they can be preset for a ‘kids safe mode’ so that no matter how high Junior turns the knobs or even if he turns hot rather than cold, he can’t make a mess or burn himself.

12. Alan Wynn macrumors 6502

Enabling voice control so that one would not need a measuring cup for water would be very convenient. "Dispense 6oz of water" into my pot, rather than needing to grab a measuring cup and turn on the faucet, measure, add or subtract a bit, etc., not a requirement, but a nice option for people who cook.

Would be nice to be able to start my shower while I was still in bed and be notified when it was at the right temperature.

There are many people who like control and are not on here.