Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakkowarner epi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2011
I just wanted to know what you guys thought are the best games for the Mac. I'll get Dragon Age but I'm not sure what else. It would be for the iMac 3.4.

And in your opinion, what are the best free games for the mac os.

I'm not interested in pc games atm.

thx,
-Alan

Barnzee

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
-Jade Empire Special Edition
-Assassins Creed 2
-Portal 1 & 2
-Half-life 2
-Warcraft 3
-Star Wars Kight of the Old Republic

just to name a few

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Anything by Valve and Blizzard (Starcraft 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal 2 and Counter Strike: Source are highly recommended by me, but all their other games are amazing too).

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
Can't go wrong with preparing your self for Diablo 3.

Pick up your copy of Diablo 2 today my friend!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Check out Games listed at Apple.com, Mac RPG Must Haves listed at Amazon, and Mac Games Listed on Steam, Top 10 Games in Mac App Store, and Gigaom.com's Best Games on the Mac App Store Right Now.

Specific titles: Left 4 Dead (survival zombie shooter rated 10/10), Dragon Age Origins (RPG, rated 7/10) and I'll echo the following titles below, but if you don't want to wait for Diablo 3, jump into Torchlight also available on Steam which also includes a Mac demo where the Torchlight site only has a PC demo available. On the Mac App Store I found Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for $20. I think that is on the high side for such an old game that is available on Windows Steam for $10.

-Jade Empire Special Edition
-Assassins Creed 2
-Portal 1 & 2
-Half-life 2
-Warcraft 3
-Star Wars Kight of the Old Republic

just to name a few

Can't go wrong with preparing your self for Diablo 3.

Pick up your copy of Diablo 2 today my friend!

Last edited:

michaelquerty

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
"Frozen Synapse is amazing." I bought that game recently and I was wondering about how to press backspace for the tutorial. The delete key is used for something else and I'd like to complete the tutorial to make sure I don't miss anything. It seems neat, kinda like geodefense type graphics.

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
Urban terror is brilliant. http://www.urbanterror.info/home/

I've been playing it for ages, online game similar to Quake 3 (based on the same engine).

Highly recommended. Low sys requirements so will run on pretty much all recent Macs from the last few years. I'm on a C2D 2ghz Macbook with the GMA 950 and it runs fine.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Best Games

Rome Total War
Civilization IV: Colonization
Half-Life 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal

I didn't care for:
Portal 2
Team Fortress 2
Torchlight

yakkowarner epi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2011
So it looks like I will be downloading dragon age ultimate from another site as soon as my iMac arrives. Mac store doesn't have it. They have dragon age II which I may buy after I beat this game (with my 100 dollar card).
Empires at war sucks because multiplayer is only on LAN. And it's old.
I have starcraft II. WOW is just way too addictive to start that back up.
I am unsure of Black and white II (old game I think).
Prey got good ratings but I don't know anything about it.

Another poster suggest these. I'm sorry I forgot who posted it for credit, but it was on another thread.
"Asphalt 6: Adrenaline [$6.99 on Mac App Store] (Excellent racing game)
Machinarium [$9.99 on Mac App Store] (Very beautiful and challenging puzzle game)
Pinball HD [$2.99 on Mac App Store] (Very fun pinball game with excellent graphics)
Galcon Fusion [$1.99 on Mac App Store] (A somewhat simplistic, but very cool looking and very addictive action-strategy game)
"

I am definitely buying age of empire III

I would buy modern warfare II if it was available. Anyone have a suggestion on a good first person shooter for the mac? Or do I stay with my PS3 with mouse.

Any thoughts?

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
I would buy modern warfare II if it was available. Anyone have a suggestion on a good first person shooter for the mac? Or do I stay with my PS3 with mouse.

Any thoughts?

Counter Strike Source
Half Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty 2
Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Pick up the Orange Box. It includes Half Life 2 along with the "expansions" (Episodes 1 and 2), Team Fortress 2, and Portal. Then, grab Portal 2.

Half Life 2 and Portal (1/2). By far my favorite games ever. Valve games are so very well done.

angelajolie

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
Games

Gears of War 2 / 3 is coming , Call of Duty 4, Portal games are well games to play on Mac OS. I like these games too.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Civilization IV, Warcraft III, and Sid Meier's Pirates are my favorite Mac games.

Uh free games, Puzzle Pirates is the only game I play that is "free", but it still has a subscriber requirement for most things.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Borderlands is a load of fun and looks great. It's a native port, doesn't use Cider or anything.

Yep it was the first ever Unreal 3 engine game on the Mac :) I loved working on that game, then again I admit I might be a little biased :D

Edwin

JonasDK

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Denmark
Orange Box + CS:Source

Pick up the Orange Box. It includes Half Life 2 along with the "expansions" (Episodes 1 and 2), Team Fortress 2, and Portal. Then, grab Portal 2.

Half Life 2 and Portal (1/2). By far my favorite games ever. Valve games are so very well done.

This + CS:Source

BTW - Always keep a look out for discounts - Steam offers discounts constantly!

Icefire817

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
WA
Although it is a wineskin port, definitely have to go with Fallout New Vegas. Great mod/ community support (and easy to mod). But above all the great mods and stuff, its just a great game with a lot of awesome options and various stories.

knuckelz

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Minecraft

All these games are pretty awesome, Steam has been pretty cool about getting games on the mac. But I'd have to put my vote for Minecraft. It is a great game for the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.