The "best" powermac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skinniezinho, Jun 16, 2013.

1. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, guess it's time to "upgrade" my G4, I want a G5, always wanted.
    I've been ofered a 1.6GHz single G5 for 75eur, I will get it and try to sell it (here G5s still go like 100-150eur for a 1.6GHZ), and I wanted to get something more powerfull but something reliable too, looking at this article guess the answer is a Dual 2.3 or a Quad right?
    I am not afraid of rebuilding LCS , I am only afraid of spending lots of money :p
    What do you guys think?

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

You are on the right track. But if you have fear with LCS, I would recommend the dual core 2.3GHz. You have PCIe and the best card would ATI X1900 or an nVidia 7800GTX.

3. noodle654, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I second this. The best air cooled G5 you can get is the Dual Core 2.3GHz. I think if you get a Quad G5 look for ones with a later manufacture date and I believe the revision 2 Dual Pump LCS (someone correct me if I am wrong on this).

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

You want the single pump g5 not the dual as those have a history of leaking

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

^^^ that kid is correct. What I have is a quad with a single pump and it works great. Never had issues with the hardware. Most of my issues are software related and of my own doing.

6. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I have seen a quad with a 7800GT already on it.And I have a X1950Pro laying around, maybe it could flashed.
    But I won't do nothing very intensive on it, so even my G4's 6200 would serve.

Here they are kinda rare, I have seen a 2.3 for the double of the price of a quad :/

Thanks for the info.If the pump leaks can it be soved using some sealing or do I need to buy a new pump (I've heard some laing models were compatible, always heard good things about them).

NIce to know =)

7. powermi macrumors regular

under my opinion the best invest would be a dual 2,3 if you find any under 150 eur. but if you get a quad would be great too.
    the problem for me is the power waste from the G5. so perhaps would be better to expent your money in an early intel mac pro.

other option are the xserve G5, i love these machines.

8. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is for a secondary computer, it won't be on very much, it is like a "dream", like the G4 was.
    Intel?No thanks, for that I would build an hackintosh :p

9. powermi macrumors regular

i respect a lot you position cause your a powerpc user, and also i love people that embrace an architecture till the end, i am with you.

i also would like to have a g5, cause i love the raw power of them and the design too.

10. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I wanted something for power I would just use my laptop, it has plenty of power for my needs.
    I think G5 is the end of an era, an era of true Mac computers.That's why I want one.If I can use without restrictions better.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your G4's 6200 is an AGP card and it won't work in a late 2005 G5.

12. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know but works in the AGP macs, just need to untape it =)

13. powermi macrumors regular

my 6800 works in the g5 is 256 ddr 8x, perhaps we could exchange them if you get an g5.
    wich are the stock cards on the duals and the quads.?

14. powermi macrumors regular

today i saw here in Spain few dual from 150 eur to 200. not expensive. i am going to fall in the temptation..

15. wobegong Guest

Can vouch for the DC 2.3, never had a single thing go wrong with mine, load it with RAM and a decent video card and try to get one with the Airport intact for wifi (if you intend to use wifi) - USB wifi dongles consume more CPU cycles. Good hunting.

16. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

If the liquid cooling system is still running in 2013, its probably not a faulty one. I have no problem relying on my quad 2.5 G5 as my primary system. Worrying about the LCS just doesn't happen at this point.

17. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I didn't understand your question, do you want to exchange for what card?
    The G5 that I am getting now is a single 1.6 (the graphic card is a fx5200), but I plan to sell it (if I can!) to fund a dual or a quad.

Here in Portugal I found a Dual 1.8 for 150eur with keyboard and monitor, it is not expensive, but I've seen 1 or 2 Quads for 200-250, but they disappeared :p

Do you have any experience with PCI cards?
    I have a Ralink 2860 based "N 300Mbps" card that I've used with the G4.
    But I can get a airport extreme too.
    The only 2.3 that I saw here in Portugal the owner is asking 450eur, too much for me.

Kinda true, but it is better to keep watching it =)

So sa I said, for now a G5 1.6,fx5200,1.5Gb,80Gb is coming, bought it for cheap, will put my geforce 6200 there, and try to sell it, still looking for a quad =)

18. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I think you'd get more profit from selling your 6200 separately.

19. wobegong Guest

No sorry, I actually use a USB at the moment but plan to get an Airport soon.

20. skinniezinho, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, it is now on macrumors marketplace.

I have here one laying around, when I get the G5 I will test it's performance vs the pci card.

Edit:
    Guess the luck came:

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz
    RAM 2Gb
    Nvidia GeForce 7800GT
    Seagate 250Gb
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth
    Mac OS X v 10.5.8
    DVD-RW

230eur =)

If anyone needs G4 bits grab me a pm =)

21. powermi macrumors regular

i was preparing a G4 QS for photo editing, with a 6800 GT, a SATA card and full loaded of RAM, but perhaps should be better to use a powermac G5, i think that it would be a moster of raw power.

the problem is that i have few powermacs G4, some ibooks and powerbooks. i am a powerpc addict in a small apartment.. :cool:

22. StonewallJUS macrumors newbie

a g5 option for you

I have a G5 dual core 2.5 that is looking for a home. It has a 500 Gb hard drive in it, 2 Gb of RAM, and I don't know what kind of graphics card. It came from storage at my workplace and I borrowed my son-in-law's screen to test it out. It sounds like it boots up and the green light comes on on the keyboard but nothing shows up on the screen. I also tried plugging a PC monitor into the smaller of the two ports and the cable matched up but nothing showed up on the screen. If you can tell me what to do to test it further or you want to make me an offer "as is" I will entertain just about anything. My suspicion is that the graphics card may be dead. If you haappen to have a spare one and want to send it to insure that this thing works I'm open to options. I just don't want to sink much money into it. Another option would be to give me some ideas what I can do to further test it. If I could buy a cheap $20 graphics card just to insure that it works though my price would certainly go up. One thing I don't know is whether or not a PC monitor should work for certain graphics cards.

23. wobegong Guest

No - Its a PCIe so PCI cards won't work. I use a USB D-Link DWA-125 currently.

24. gonosz macrumors newbie

Hi, I saw you have a G4 with Voodoo 2 and you are upgrading to G5. I'd also love to have a G5 and I wonder would it work together with a VooDoo 5?

25. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have them anymore.
    3dfx Voodoo's only work with OS9, so your only bet is a Powerful G4.