iPad Pro The best product Apple has ever made.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thinayr, Nov 23, 2015.

1. thinayr, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

thinayr macrumors newbie

thinayr

"Holy $#!% - this is incredible!"

These words have come out of my mouth more times today than they have since I first used an iPhone. I am ASTOUNDED at how good this device is and wanted to tell you why.

I am a creative professional who has used Apple products for 30 years. So yes, I'm incredibly biased. Even if, say, the Microsoft Surface were empirically a better product, I would still never buy one. I love Apple, and the iPad Pro is the culmination of all the reasons why.

First and foremost, I feel like Marty McFly just showed up in a flying DeLorean and handed me a device out of its time. In one day, hours really, my entire view of "computers" is shifted into a place I always knew it would go. The iPad Pro is the most immersive, intimate, exciting computer I have ever used. It's just feels right, and I am excited to see where it's going to take me.

I think one of the biggest reasons why I've been so enamored is because I am NOT using a physical keyboard. I have the iPad attached to a regular Smart Cover at its flattened ~30° angle, and I'm using the device the way it wants to be used... By touching it. I simply cannot imagine interacting with this device propped up at a laptop-like angle. It isn't a laptop replacement... It's better. Everything is designed and laid out for a flowing series of on-screen interactions, which after getting used to become second nature and feel quicker and more direct than anything I'd do with a keyboard and mouse.

Of course the biggie is typing, which I am doing right now using the software keyboard, and after only one day I feel like I am just as fast on the software keyboard as I am on my laptop. And rather than cursing the shortfalls of a physical slab of buttons trying to interact with a touch based computer, I'm forced to learn all the needed interface tools and shortcuts that make this device so cool, (my favorite is the two finger pseudo-trackpad to move the cursor anywhere it needs to go... And two finger tap to select the current word, paragraph etc... Science f'ng fiction, baby!)

I had a realization a few weeks ago while watching my 4 year old son deftly navigate our various iOS devices (the only personal computers he's ever spent any real time with) - the coming generation is never going to need the same kind of input devices we've grown up using... Physical mice, keyboards... They aren't needed with a touched based device like this... one that gives you enough room for the screen to be both input and canvas. Any attempt to attach a clumsy physical keyboard to a device like this is a crutch... The magic of this devices is using it like freaking minority report.

Also, the multi tasking in iOS 9 is spot-on, and while I did have moments where I thought about how many windows and things I could have open and running in my view on OS X, when I actually jumped back to my Mac while setting up the pro, I was shocked at the clutter of a half dozen Windows all lying on top of each other and a thousand other notifications, menus and icons crammed absolutely everywhere. There are plenty of multitasking improvements the fledgling iPrOS could benefit from, but the potential to move to iOS as a creative workspace brings with it the promise to start fresh in sparkling clean, distraction free simplicity.

Also, the sound is phenomenal. Because using the iPad in the hands on why I described brings you face to face with the device, the sound utterly floods your awareness... I cannot wait to start creating art on this thing when my pencil arrives in god-knows-how-many-weeks...

The final frontier is of course the apps, but just as the original iPhone and iPad saw a steady process of building the ecosystem one app at a time, we at least have a great foundation to build on with the Pro. I have no doubt that I will be straddling this device and my old MacBook Pro as I currently cannot do without the big app suites I've grown to rely on. It will take time for developers to catch up with our dreams for a device like this, but that's exactly what makes these technologies so exciting.

Be excited people... This is the continuation of something remarkable.

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Rare to read posts like this at MR. Usually it's the complete opposite.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Have to agree with OP completely. All this moaning about how it can't replace a laptop because it doesn't have this feature or that reminds me of all the complaints that Apple was doomed because the original iMac didn't have a floppy drive.

4. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I also cosign with the OP. As devs catch on to the iPP I think it will only get better..

5. thinayr thread starter macrumors newbie

thinayr

So in the time since my original post I threw this together using the AWESOME vector-based Illustrator contender, "Autodesk Graphic"... People who don't like this thing don't deserve it. I was pleased to find such a well built app that shows real devs are, as we speak, brining real creative tools to our fingertips. Sorry for all the posting... I'm having too much stinking fun!

Attached Files:

6. goomba478 macrumors regular

GREAT Post(s)!! I am in the same boat as you. Illustrating and fiction writing are two hobbies of mine and the iPad Pro is the device that concisely being together all the necessary tools I need. Just trying it out in the Apple Store, I also pointed out that the device feels like it was from the future. I can't wait until Friday when I get mine. Now if only Apple could pump out some more  Pencils!

7. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

I completely agree. Anyone who has the need to stick an ugly keyboard to the iPad Pro should just get a Macbook instead. I won't uglify my (future) iPad Pro with a permanently attached keyboard. When I do need a real keyboard I have the Logitech K811, it's a million times better than any of the keyboard covers.

8. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The hardware is amazing, the OS is fine. It's the apps that must come, and while there are some areas very well served with some really innovative stuff at ridiculously low prices (honestly, dangerously low, this needs to stop, it's unsustainable in the pro arena, there is no "volume" here,) there are other areas that have really lacked imagination and effort.

I for one, as a dev, have some cool ideas on how I could bring my own profession to this device, but, have literally no time at all to make it happen. And if I did, could it be sustainable as a business so I could keep working and improving it? That's a big gamble for a single dev, especially with the Big Brother App Store always posing a potentially impassable obstacle to actual deployment of whatever is made.

Still. Maybe there will be time...

Anyway, glad to hear the joy. Far too little of that around here. iPad Pro is a great product, as to be expected. It's up to the community to make the most of it.

9. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Do you have a Pencil? Is Graphic working well with it?

10. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Regarding keyboards, honestly, why should this suddenly be a religious issue? I find the device useful for some tasks more so with the keyboard and stand, and for some, without. The whole attraction of this type of slate device is how flexible its usage can be.

Don't hate on the keyboard just because you don't want to use it.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Glad you are happy, though his is far from the best product they have ever made. A very good product.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats OP, I'm glad that you really like the iPad Pro. As with most things in life, one size does not fit all, but its nice to see a post where some loves the product instead of complaining about it :)

13. Mystro, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Totally agree with the OP and I have been with Apple products from the beginning. I knew the iPad Pro was a serious "Game Changer" by all the push back and smack talk from the Windows fan boys that just "happened" to stop by the first few days of the Pro's release. When the competition is making early calculated attacks on a new products forum to start cyber misinformation, you know they are worried. The same threads kept popping up over and over as if reading a telemarketers script. Same thing was happening with early reviews at Best Buy even before the iPad Pro was even released.

I am buying 4 more iPad Pros for my company. How's that for voting with your wallet.

[​IMG]

14. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

agreed 1000%, i'm still in cloud heaven!

this product is a definite game changer as far as i'm concerned. it's awesome. light to hold and handle. almost too delicate feeling. beautiful big screen of course, and absolutely super super super fast. i mean, blisteringly so. even the wifi is faster than my hard wired pc's.
    the sound is superb. and using side-by-side apps is marvelous. multitasking without optimised apps is great too.

i even LOVE the keyboard. the angle is so natural and fantastic, a joy to type on, and when closed it's soooo much nicer than those initial crappy photos we saw and criticized.

and the Pencil is a genius device. as a general all round Pro pointing/stylus device it's magical. it feels heavier and more substantial than the flimsy look it portrays. it's feels quite weighty and premium. apps like Numbers and safari are a pleasure to use it with.

my only down side - it's probably bigger than i was actually expecting, meaning portability isn't that flexible. Bed and couch usage is a tad awkward i feel. for me it's more a desk top object. which is fine for me because that's where i keep it.

the other side effect - it's completely and utterly put me off using anything smaller. i just dont want a screen any smaller any more.

up yours to all the '1st gen' doubters who havent purchased :p

15. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I was taking notes in a meeting yesterday with my iPP and Pencil. I snapped a picture of a handout and embedded it into my written notes, marking up the handout as needed and making notes in the margins and stuff. One of my coworkers pointed out that I could have done that with a pen and paper, until I pointed out to him that I was leaving without any papers to file or throw away. I also was able to erase and make changes to some of my notes as we went along (it was a planning meeting so somethings were changing as we talked), and my notes would be searchable at the end so it would be easier for me to find keywords later. I don't know how valuable that is to anyone else, but it's damned cool to me as an avid note taker. I've also worked on a couple PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, a spreadsheet, etc.

On this same device, I watched most of Jessica Jones on Netflix this weekend and made it to about halfway through A Dance with Dragons last night. It truly is an all-in-one device for me, with the battery life to make it all day. I get that it might not cut it for others, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the coolest and most useful devices I've owned. It's amazing how much of a difference a bigger screen could make in changing my perception of the iPad as a productivity device.

16. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I have 0% interest in iPad Pro but I am loving this thread. It is nice to see positive posts for a change, and I am very curious to see if professional developers change their mind (or Apple changes their no trial policy). With full version of Photoshop I might find myself very excited about this.

17. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

IMO, it is developers that need to get with it. Free Trials and Paid Upgrades are for crapware. If there is an App worth using, I'll buy it. I don't need a Free Trial. I don't need a watered down Free version of the App. And I certainly don't appreciate paid upgrades. They can use In-App Purchases to add features over time. But they can't get away with charging full price to go from 1.0 to 2.0.

18. thinayr thread starter macrumors newbie

thinayr

Just some random follow up:

1) The keyboard issue is not "religious", and as I don't own a keyboard Smart Cover (did try it in the store) I can't say I have given it a fair shot - my point is just how great this device is without the need for a keyboard, and that the bad reviews I've seen about the device so far often make a big point as to how limited the physical keyboard is... But that's like saying the MacBook Pro isn't fully realized because it's hard to type on it from across the room using a stick.

2) I don't have a pencil yet :( I even called around my town asking the resellers, "do you have any unicorn horns?" Nada. So the best may be yet to come. If anyone's interested you can see some of my current art and writing at http://uncomplication.com and my older site http://thinayr.com

Love & Rockets!

19. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

So far I'm extremely impressed and it may very well replace my laptop. I'm not using a physical keyboard either, but I'd like to try the keyboard cover. Just can't find one! The only thing I'm missing right now is the ability to prop it up on my lap like a laptop.

20. rwp macrumors member

It is great to see someone else really loving their new iPad Pro! I expressed my own positive thoughts in my thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/think-different.1939521/ and agree that this is a device it helps to "think different" about. Approaching it like a big iPad or a laptop replacement misses the point.

I hope you get your Pencil soon -- that is a game-changer, especially for creatives. It is definitely only going to get better from here!

21. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Really enjoyed your post OP, very refreshing to see on this site. I love mine as well, and glad to see others out there!!

22. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

I couldn't find "Autodesk Graphic" in the app store. Is it maybe a different name?

23. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

For typing normal stuff the keyboard is fine, but as a software developer we will need to redesign our programming languages to work for an on screen keyboard. Too many symbols and very specific type names to have any sort of speed when typing code right now. Basically way more/way better autocomplete.

My main issue with the smart keyboard is that you lose the best feature of the virtual keyboard - the two finger cursor positioning gesture. I'm pretty sure Apple has some kind of patent on a touch sensitive cloth keyboard surface which would have been perfect for this and made the keyboard a more compelling accessory.

24. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

You guys do realize your completely going against all the 'OMG, the sky is falling' haters, don't you? :)

I agree, it's nice to see a so many positive comments about a product being purchased and enjoyed in one thread(there are many, many other similar posts about the iPad Pro on other forums also).

Glad to see you guys are so enthusiastically pleased with your Pro's. It's only going to get better :) You've got the hardware, a maturing iOS and 'Pro' apps will take care of the rest.

25. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I think one of the problems with all the "it can't replace a laptop!" threads is the assumption that this means it will replace OS X. That's certainly not true (at least yet). But in my case instead of using an iMac 5K, a laptop, and an iPad Air this can be reduced to an iMac 5K (for OS X stuff) and an iPad Pro. While the iPad Pro might be a single computer replacement for some people, for more I think it can be a secondary computer replacement. And in that case, using it's strengths instead of trying to transform it into a laptop replacement I think is the key to a more satisfying solution.