The best way to purchase an iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by modelbehaviour, Aug 18, 2011.

1. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

Hoping someone can give me some advice....I'm planning to get an iPhone 5 (or whatever its called) since I'm still on my 3 year old 3G. I'd like to get it on launch day or as near as possible, what's the best way? Go to the store on the day, or order online through my carrier or through the apple website? Thanks!

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Apple Online Store, if they offer pre-ordering like it's rumored

3. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Easiest is to order right as preorders open on store.apple.com

4. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Wait for official Apple pre-orders to start and keep hitting F5.

5. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Last year I ordered the i4 online as soon as it was available for pre-order through AT&T's site. I got it the day before it was released in the stores.

6. saving107, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

How about you wait to plan "How to Purchase" until after the new iPhone has been announced, or at least wait for a release date.

The rumored release date is somewhere between Oct 7th and Oct 14th, thats more than 8 weeks away... you still have plenty of time to plan.

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Without a doubt preorder. Either through Apple or your carrier.

8. outlawarth macrumors regular

How about with a lawn chair in front of a physical Apple store on the 1st day?

No?

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Command+R for cool people :cool:

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

...that's a nice avatar you have there.... be a shame if something where to happen to it....

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Apple reservation. OR you could walk into your carrier store and preorder it.

13. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

ssssSSS... :eek:

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'll be camping out in front of Apple, Ardomore, PA on Launch-eve, even with a pre-order. I enjoy camping out just as much as getting the new device. Always had a great time and met some great people.

15. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Are there any advantages with preordering from Apple over ATT? Vice versa? Are there activation fees for both and does one have a better return policy (i.e. return period and restocking fee) than the other?

16. jlluna macrumors 6502

I also pre ordered mine through At&t got it the day of release date. My cousin got his the day before release date.

17. willsoriano macrumors member

Im sure its written above but my ADD has got the best of me right now, does pre-ordering take into account early uprades pricing or full upgrade prices? or is it pay full price?

PS. anyone else notice the define option missing in iOS 5 b5?

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I got mine day before release (like a lot of other people) after online ordering through the Apple Store. Unfortunately, ordering took me four hours. Ridiculous.

19. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Apple will only accept payment in goats and chickens

20. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to order an iPhone off of Apple.com without signing a new contract? Because otherwise I'll just wait in front of the store.

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Oh no! I have to go gather my goats and chickens! I could've sworn payment this year was gonna be in apples and oranges.

22. dave006 macrumors 68020

Apple will have more stock, last year many carriers accepted orders but did not have the stock from Apple to meet the launch day demand and they missed their original commitment of Launch day delivery!!!!

Both options worked, if you reallly wanted to fight lines, Apple appeared to have a smoother experience and again they had the most stock. Reserve is much better than just walk-up. In many, many cases AT&T stores received a very limited stocp on Launch day and they ended up taking direct mail orders that were 7-14 days after launch.

If you have a simple single iPhone upgrade an Apple Online pre-order for home delivery almost can't be beat, unless you are not there to get the package!!!

Yes, you provide your current carrier information during the pre-order process and the price reflects your eligiblity status and the price is adjusted. Hint, you can try out most of these features by stepping throught iPhone 4 order process today.

Also a special note on "Reserving", they are not holding a phone with your name on it but you will have completed most of the carrier details so that provides the best in-store experience. Walk-ups are often treated like second classs citizens in my view and they are not holding a phone for you.

Disclaimer: This is based on last year's experience here in the US, this year there is expected to be increased demand and lots of "new" first time customer so it will be a mad house :rolleyes::confused::eek:

Dave

23. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

This year I might buy mine later in the year, since the 1st series of any product may come with defects.

24. MarcW macrumors member

MarcW

Anything different for a first-timer also switching carriers?

I'll be a first-time iPhone owner with the new release and I also expect to be switching carriers (I'm not assuming new carriers for the 5 and will probably switch anyway).

My preference will be to order though the Apple store, wait for it to show up, then finish the activation process. Any reason to think this won't work with the iPhone 5, switching carriers and transferring my number? Is there a better way (I'm not standing in line -- made that mistake with the iPad 2)?

Thanks,
    Marc