Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Both those cases, and any of those TPU cases, will still scratch the Jet Black finish because dust and particles will get in between the case and the phone, and will rub over time. You would have to wipe that down daily to possibly prevent that, and even then, removing the case so frequently may scratch the finish as well.

The ideal case is probably something like the Apple OEM case, but covers the bottom as well.

That, or using a clear skin with the phone, then using any case with it.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Both those cases, and any of those TPU cases, will still scratch the Jet Black finish because dust and particles will get in between the case and the phone, and will rub over time. You would have to wipe that down daily to possibly prevent that, and even then, removing the case so frequently may scratch the finish as well.

The ideal case is probably something like the Apple OEM case, but covers the bottom as well.

That, or using a clear skin with the phone, then using any case with it.

Apple OEM Case? Link?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I'm just talking about the OEM leather case from Apple.

Lol the iphone leather case is a horrible choice for a jet black due to the opening on the bottom, if it provided all around protection then thats the case i would have bought without a doubt as the leather case provide the best quality feel but i dont want to have the iphone's entire bottom exposed

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Not really on topic, but it is amusing that people are buying a phone for the finish, and then fretting about which case will completely cover the finish so that it will be perfect, but never seen! Is the plan to take the phone out late at night and admire it for a few seconds before it goes away again?

Reactions: danny8200

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Not really on topic, but it is amusing that people are buying a phone for the finish, and then fretting about which case will completely cover the finish so that it will be perfect, but never seen! Is the plan to take the phone out late at night and admire it for a few seconds before it goes away again?

I'll answer your question very shortly, We do not like to have a shattered glass screen. That's why we use cases.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I'll answer your question very shortly, We do not like to have a shattered glass screen. That's why we use cases.
To quote you:
I always bought and used the Apple official leather cases on both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6s and they were excellent cases with very high quality feel and i really want to buy the new Apple official black leather case for my iPhone 7 Plus as well but the open bottom of the case concerns me a little bit because if the jet black coating is as delicate and prone to scratching as apple claims it is to be with their disclaimer then buying the apple leather case is almost surely to result in the bottom of my jet black iPhone 7 Plus to get micro scratches/swirl marks one way or another and i really don't want that to happen,
So I'm just curious why you would want a phone that you have to keep completely covered to ensure that it doesn't get a single scratch/swirl which, in doing so, means that you will never see the finish you're protecting?

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Personally I've never used a case and I've never had a shattered screen. Might be luck rather than judgement>To quote you:
So I'm just curious why you would want a phone that you have to keep completely covered to ensure that it doesn't get a single scratch/swirl which, in doing so, means that you will never see the finish you're protecting?
I'm getting the JB and using a bumper case on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you've got it, flaunt it!

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Spigen Liquid Armor for the 7 Plus.
e668143b16d644546870050c43eb1833.jpg

3e16c22569c88599a7b8d0fde81ebf67.jpg

7c10cee9d6420c56f794b62ac5b09057.jpg

412a80ef5010195569a7a7e1e3af79e3.jpg

f86c8f2833e556c742e0c83a0b1f7009.jpg

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Lol the iphone leather case is a horrible choice for a jet black due to the opening on the bottom, if it provided all around protection then thats the case i would have bought without a doubt as the leather case provide the best quality feel but i dont want to have the iphone's entire bottom exposed

I've always wanted to try the apple leather case, but the open bottom bothers me.

I saw that you mentioned earlier, that you used those cases previously.

How has the bottom of the phone held up? I'm not planning on getting the jet black (going with the silver)

What's your opinion & experience with the leather cases if someone wasn't getting a jet black phone? Drop protection? Were the bottoms of your previous phones scratched / scuffed?

Thanks

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I've always wanted to try the apple leather case, but the open bottom bothers me.

I saw that you mentioned earlier, that you used those cases previously.

How has the bottom of the phone held up? I'm not planning on getting the jet black (going with the silver)

What's your opinion & experience with the leather cases if someone wasn't getting a jet black phone? Drop protection? Were the bottoms of your previous phones scratched / scuffed?

Thanks

Ok, so if you're not getting the jet black then you can safely go with the apple leather case, they are amazing and feel very high quality, i used for a long time and it gets even better as the leather breaks in, it also protected my phone several times when dropped on concrete so yes they provide great protection, i just wish it was fully closed all around because that would be the case i would buy for my jet black! i absolutely love the apple leather case.
[doublepost=1474064028][/doublepost]
Spigen Liquid Armor for the 7 Plus.
e668143b16d644546870050c43eb1833.jpg

3e16c22569c88599a7b8d0fde81ebf67.jpg

7c10cee9d6420c56f794b62ac5b09057.jpg

412a80ef5010195569a7a7e1e3af79e3.jpg

f86c8f2833e556c742e0c83a0b1f7009.jpg

That looks fantastic! does it feel high quality in the hand?

Reactions: Coffee50

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
It feels really good in hand. Well made.

Nice man glad to hear! it looks really really good in the photos, mine should arrive here on sunday, too bad i wont have my phone for atleast 2 weeks

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA

Oh yeah I also caught that flash sale on Ringke cases and copped 5. Currently using the Max. So far so good.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
So I tried out the new Speck Clear Cases but did not like it took it back for the tech21 EVO Check Case and the white/clear version looks nice with the Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus.

Moore94

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
I went with this one, I have one on my 6s plus not a scratch on it

Attachments

• IMG_1625.PNG
    IMG_1625.PNG
    272 KB · Views: 224

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
It feels really good in hand. Well made.

Do you plan on putting Scotch tape all over the back of your Jet Black iPhone 7 before you put your iPhone into the Liquid Armor Case?

I think that is a great idea and a sure way to keep your Jet Black iPhone in Pristine condition since day one,

Another idea i have is this, instead of applying scotch tape to the back of the device.
You know that clear film that is attached to the front and back of the iPhone when you take it out of the box? What i can do is separate that front and back film in half and just leave the back portion and simply put it on the back of my jet black iphone before i put it in the Spigen Liquid Armor Case and that will keep the jet black iPhone in brand new condition until the day i decide to remove it from the case to sell it or whatever reason it may be

The only question/concern i have is this, obviously under heavy use sometimes the iPhone can heat up, so lets say after several months of use, that clear plastic that will be in between the iphone and the liquid armor case wont melt into the iPhone or anything like that right? thats the only negative i can think of for doing either the back film or the scotch tape within the case before placing the jet black iPhone in it

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Do you plan on putting Scotch tape all over the back of your Jet Black iPhone 7 before you put your iPhone into the Liquid Armor Case?

I think that is a great idea and a sure way to keep your Jet Black iPhone in Pristine condition since day one,

Another idea i have is this, instead of applying scotch tape to the back of the device.
You know that clear film that is attached to the front and back of the iPhone when you take it out of the box? What i can do is separate that front and back film in half and just leave the back portion and simply put it on the back of my jet black iphone before i put it in the Spigen Liquid Armor Case,

The only question i have is this, obviously under heavy use sometimes the iPhone can heat up, so lets say after several months of use, that clear plastic that will be in between the iphone and the liquid armor case wont melt into the iPhone or anything like that right? thats the only negative i can think of for doing either the back film or the scotch tape within the case before placing the jet black iPhone in it

Just get a naked slickwrap

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I'm picking up the Sea Blue Apple leather case for my JB. Not a bad idea to buy a skin wrap and use the leather case

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006

You know that clear film that is attached to the front and back of the iPhone when you take it out of the box? What i can do is separate that front and back film in half and just leave the back portion and simply put it on the back of my jet black iphone before i put it in the Spigen Liquid Armor Case and that will keep the jet black iPhone in brand new condition until the day i decide to remove it from the case to sell it or whatever reason it may be

The only question/concern i have is this, obviously under heavy use sometimes the iPhone can heat up, so lets say after several months of use, that clear plastic that will be in between the iphone and the liquid armor case wont melt into the iPhone or anything like that right? thats the only negative i can think of for doing either the back film or the scotch tape within the case before placing the jet black iPhone in it
I'm getting the matte black. The regular plastic won't exactly mould to the rounded sides hence the scotch tape.
With the Spigen back, whatever crap gets in will end up in the design grooves so you're relatively safe vs cases with a flat back.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I'm getting the matte black. The regular plastic won't exactly mould to the rounded sides hence the scotch tape.
With the Spigen back, whatever crap gets in will end up in the design grooves so you're relatively safe vs cases with a flat back.

Gotcha, can you post a picture of the side buttons of the Liquid Amor Case for the iPhone 7?
[doublepost=1474124327][/doublepost]
I'm picking up the Sea Blue Apple leather case for my JB. Not a bad idea to buy a skin wrap and use the leather case

Thats true and that would be the ideal installation with a back invisishield type of a protector/wrap and then use the apple leather case on top of the installation but installing these clear back wraps on the phone are a hassle IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.